C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accel SuperRam Fuel Injection...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 05:21 PM
Signal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Accel SuperRam Fuel Injection...

I was just curious if that Accel SuperRam fuel injection system that is found in the Jegs catalogue is a setup like the Edelbrock or Holley systems where it can be applied to regular pre-1986 small blocks to switch them to F.I....And where they have their own computer to manage everything...Or is the Accel system something that is more designed for the Tuned Port C4 Vettes and F-Bodies??...Also, if anyone's actually seen this system I was wondering how tall it was as far as fitting under C3 hoods ('77), perhaps an L-88 hood in a worst case scenario...Thanks for any info fellas!...

:cool:

Jason
Old 05-09-2002, 06:08 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Accel SuperRam Fuel Injection... (Signal)

You can get a complete superram setup that will contain everything you need for a retrofit onto a carbed small block. Hood clearance will be an issue, especially in the front.

Also keep in mind that the superram kit from JEGS has the old Accell 6 ECU, which is not very good (from what I hear. Haven't used it myself). The new Accell 7 is supposed to be great but will add a hefty bonus to the pricetag. Considering the superram with thr 6 ECU is $3k, it's not very cost effective.

Personally I recommend the Holley commander 950 MPFI. Best bang for the buck @ $2200. If you have $3k to spend, I'd recommend the holley kit minus ECU and upgrade to the FAST ECU.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:08 PM
dshrack
Instructor

I've been looking at the DFI system for a while now. Should work with you engine though Accel has pretty strong suggestions as to cams. The SuperRam has a height of 9 3/8" from the bottom of the intake to the top of hte plenum- thus it should fit fine- when you measure, remember that its 9 3/8" even at the front of the unit (ie above the coolant feeder) so you'll want to take your measurements there vs. at the carb where the hood has max clearance.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:12 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Why Why you cant beat the Q-jet, Why blow all that money that just tries to copy the performance of the Q-Jet
Old 05-09-2002, 09:45 PM
aqua80
Instructor

Default Re: Accel SuperRam Fuel Injection... (73-454)

The super ram was designed by the tuning guru Lingenfelter. He used it on all his supercars til the LT-1 was introduced. Excelent system I hear. Myself, I would go chevy computer and sensors with tpis mini ram. Yea, the Q-jet is the best carb. But running a carb is like surfing the net with your 486 computer. It can be done but why???
Old 05-09-2002, 11:34 PM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Default Re: Accel SuperRam Fuel Injection... (aqua80)

Seems to me user programmability is a must. How much of that can you do with a GM ECM vs. the fully programmable DFI controller?

-Noel
Old 05-09-2002, 11:49 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Accel SuperRam Fuel Injection... (Noel Carboni)

I agree with Zwede, the Commander is the best deal for the cash. Easy to tune and lot's of HP.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:09 AM
blue72
Instructor

Default Re: Accel SuperRam Fuel Injection... (Noel Carboni)

Seems to me user programmability is a must. How much of that can you do with a GM ECM vs. the fully programmable DFI controller?

-Noel
It depends on how often you want to re-program your ECM. If you're going to get it tuned up and leave it, a GM ECM would work fine There is inexpensive software available to modify the tables in the bin, and the hardware to burn your own PROM can be gotten for a decent price, too (I've seen them for as low as $60). At $50 for a junkyard ECM and harness (or another $150 for a custom harness), $60 for the PROM burning hardware and however much the software costs - if you decide to go with a commercial software package over the free ones - you still end up cheaper than an aftermarket ECM. The stock ECMs also have some desirable features (to me) that the aftermarkets don't... check engine light, "block learn multiplier" which means the ECM automatically takes into account long and short-term adjustments to the fuel mixture, etc.
I've even seen schematics out there where you can use a much larger EPROM that has multiple calibrations on it, and just change with a flick of a switch.
I'd say an OEM ECM would be great for the tinkerer types. Most of the ECM's have been reverse-engineered, so many things are possible to someone who has the desire to play around a bit.
I'm working on a little board that replaces the cal-pak module and should provide real-time tunability similar to the aftermarkets. Hey, maybe it'll actually work when I'm done :D
-Jason

[Modified by blue72, 1:25 AM 5/10/2002]
Old 05-10-2002, 12:32 PM
Leo001
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Accel SuperRam Fuel Injection... (blue72)

Why not a Chevy Ram Jet crate setup? Has anyone put one of these in a shark? Is there a less expensive way to put FI in an older shark?
Old 05-10-2002, 01:15 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a Superram 383, with the old Accel DFI 6.32 EFI before I built my SBC 427 and switched to a FAST system. The SuperRam is a very good intake manifold for a 350 or 383 with an automatic tranny if you're looking for a good torque engine. The only drawbacks in my opinion is the the limited rpm range with it and the amount of time is takes to install or remove it. Some of the 1/4" 12 point bolts that attach the plenum to the runners are difficult to get at, although slotting the tips of the bolts so you can use a screwdriver to turn them helps alot.

I sold my entire Superram intake system - manifold, plenum, and runners, along with a 58mm BBK TB - for $1000. You should be able to find one over on the C4 forums or maybe Ebay for around the same price. As for the EFI, it just depends on what kind of funtionality and sophistication you wnat or need. As I mentioned, I used the old 6.32 DFi box, which is probably the most basic aftermarket engine management system currently available and I made pretty good power with it and driveability was excellent. Although I love my new FAST SEFI box, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the DFI or the Holley box either.

By the way, the SuperRam will fit under your stock hood...
Old 05-10-2002, 05:06 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Accel SuperRam Fuel Injection... (Monty)

Has anyone tried using the complete engine/tranny from an 96-up (vortec 350) C/K pickup truck? They are rated at 275 HP and tons of torque. Then you could use the stock cowl induction (73-up) air cleaner and other than the valve covers it would look stock. Maybe adding a 454 TB and cam could take you over 300HP. The 4L60E tranny shifts smooth when babied and hard when necessary. Any thoughts? Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Accel SuperRam Fuel Injection...

Quick Reply: Accel SuperRam Fuel Injection...