C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight actuator shaft seal or diaphragm?

Old 12-09-2011, 11:01 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight actuator shaft seal or diaphragm?

Well I've narrowed down my lazy headlight problem to the actuators. Relays are fine.
Before I replace the seals on the shafts,is there a way to determine if in fact the seals are bad or if maybe it's the diaphragm?
I would hate to rebuild the shaft seals only to find out the diaphragms are the culprit. I remember raeding in the past on how to determine the weak link but I can't find it.
I'm thinking that if vac. holds on one side and not the other the diaphragm would be O.K...Sound right?
Thanks in advance!

Nevermind...I found it here just after starting this thread.

http://www.corvette-101.com/vacuum.htm#actuator

Last edited by sly vette; 12-09-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:11 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Pull both hoses to the actuator, front and rear. Place your finger on each port, one at a time. Manually operate the headlight bucket. If it moves with your finger on the front port, the seal is bad. If it moves with your finger on the rear port, the diaphragm is bad.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:00 PM
staffgill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
Pull both hoses to the actuator, front and rear. Place your finger on each port, one at a time. Manually operate the headlight bucket. If it moves with your finger on the front port, the seal is bad. If it moves with your finger on the rear port, the diaphragm is bad.
I'm having the same problem, I think. The red hose to the actuator will hold vacuum. The green will not. If I blow or suck the green hose the air just flows freely. So I'm guessing the diaphragm is good and the seal is bad. What is the seal, exactly, so I can order one?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:14 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is a source.
http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...oducts_id=6852
Old 11-30-2012, 04:05 PM
staffgill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced the rod seal...Help!

I replaced the rod seal, and both headlights will open and close fine, but only if I use the manual pull/push **** under the dash. The headlight switch will not activate the lights. Do you think the switch is bad, or maybe another problem along the way? BTW, my headlights will not even turn on now.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight actuator shaft seal or diaphragm?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight actuator shaft seal or diaphragm?