C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***SHOCKS: Bilstein vs QA1 vs ???***

Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default ***SHOCKS: Bilstein vs QA1 vs ???***

I am looking to replace my current shocks, and I am looking for some opinions. Coil overs are not an option.

Currently I have Carrera single adjustables, the old style that you have to remove to adjust. They were great shocks, and I am very happy with the performance, but they are worn out now. I have composite mono leaf springs front and rear.

I am considering the Bilstein sport shocks, but I am also wondering if the QA1's are more what I am looking for. I don't want or expect a soft ride, I drive my car hard.

The QA1 single adjustables are roughly twice as much as the Bilsteins, and the double adjustables are about four times the price!!! Are they really worth the much greater expense??? Any others I should be considering?

Remember, I am looking for performance, not a Cadillac-type ride!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:49 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never used the QA1's, but I use Bilsteins on six cars. I run Bilstein HD's on a 73 Vette,..couldn't be happier. Firm, stable ride that's not harsh.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Monroe shocks and in almost any use and configuration
Old 12-08-2011, 06:59 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 73, Dark Blue 454
I've never used the QA1's, but I use Bilsteins on six cars. I run Bilstein HD's on a 73 Vette,..couldn't be happier. Firm, stable ride that's not harsh.
What is the difference between the Bilstein Sport and HD shocks?

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Monroe shocks and in almost any use and configuration
I could be worng, but I don't think Monroe offers shocks that are performance oriented. I have always viewed them as a OE replacement/jobber type shock.

Last edited by 7t2vette; 12-08-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 PM
l88rocket
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blisteins good, Koni's are the best imo
Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by l88rocket
Blisteins good, Koni's are the best imo
I have had the same four Koni's on my '69 for 35+ years. Still very good, control the VBP rear mono-spring very well. VBP recommends their specially valved shocks with the mono-spring because there is no interleaf friction to damp unwanted motion. My old Koni's do the job!

Koni shocks are pricey, but over the long haul, well worth the money.
The following users liked this post:
streetstrip (09-17-2023)
Old 12-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,729 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

What about semi-coil overs???

You can run the stock a-arms w/ NO mods..

NEVERMIND- I see you've got the mono leaf out back and in FRONT...

But I'll still throw out my shameless plug....

I've gone w/ Vansteels full coilovers & tubular a-arms- not going to be using these. Brand new never mounted $500 + shipping

Richard

Name:  P1010663.jpg
Views: 3051
Size:  480.1 KB
Old 12-08-2011, 10:16 PM
RickyBerg
Pro

How about VBP:s "QA1 Dual-Adjustable" shocks?

Will those pull up with som trackdriving together with fiberglass springs?

Anyone tested those during inspired driving?

//Ricky.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:37 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I have VBP Performance Plus suspension with Bilstein Sports. The ride is very hard on the softest spring settings with the sports, but stays very flat it the turns, handling like it's on rails. I'm also running 275/40 ZR17 tires all around. The Bilstein HD's on the rear will help soften the ride a bit, but if you just want performance then Sport's all around.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,324 Likes on 1,054 Posts

The QA1 single adjustables are roughly twice as much as the Bilsteins, and the double adjustables are about four times the price!!! Are they really worth the much greater expense??? Any others I should be considering?

I have QA-1 dual a front and QA-1 single Adjust rears. You are paying for convenience. i had rear bilstiens and it was a pain to remove and set the changes. The little dials on Qa's are nice. They are the last shock that you will ever buy.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:19 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
I have had the same four Koni's on my '69 for 35+ years. Still very good, control the VBP rear mono-spring very well. VBP recommends their specially valved shocks with the mono-spring because there is no interleaf friction to damp unwanted motion. My old Koni's do the job!

Koni shocks are pricey, but over the long haul, well worth the money.
You have a set of Koni's that have lasted 35+yrs?!?! How can they still possibly be good, unless you have no use on them!

Anyways, I've looked at the Koni's, and they are priced just a little more than the Bilstein Sports. They are also adjustable. More research is needed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KON-80401020

Originally Posted by Richard454
What about semi-coil overs???

You can run the stock a-arms w/ NO mods..

NEVERMIND- I see you've got the mono leaf out back and in FRONT...

But I'll still throw out my shameless plug....

I've gone w/ Vansteels full coilovers & tubular a-arms- not going to be using these. Brand new never mounted $500 + shipping

Richard
Thanks for the offer, but I am not switching out my mono leafs at this time.

Originally Posted by MIKE80
I have VBP Performance Plus suspension with Bilstein Sports. The ride is very hard on the softest spring settings with the sports, but stays very flat it the turns, handling like it's on rails. I'm also running 275/40 ZR17 tires all around. The Bilstein HD's on the rear will help soften the ride a bit, but if you just want performance then Sport's all around.
Thanks for the review on the Bilsteins. Did you ever have the sports on the rear? Is you car lowered? My car is pretty low, so I am also wondering how that may impact the performance and/or life of any shock I choose. My car:

Originally Posted by gkull
I have QA-1 dual a front and QA-1 single Adjust rears. You are paying for convenience. i had rear bilstiens and it was a pain to remove and set the changes. The little dials on Qa's are nice. They are the last shock that you will ever buy.
Bilstein makes adjustable shocks for our cars? I thought they didn't, but I will look again. I know what you mean about the convenience with the QA1's, so much easier than removing the shock to make a change! I also know they are a quality product, and are also rebuildable......but the cost!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:38 PM
RickyBerg
Pro

Originally Posted by MIKE80
Thats the same suspension that i have appart from that i didnt buy mine as a kit and used it with my BilsteinsHD that i already had.

The suspension funktions very well and the car is very rigid in the corners.

However, those BilsteinHD:s are to soft for the fiberglass springs and the car "bounces" when driving on a uneven surface.

//Ricky.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 PM
RickyBerg
Pro

I must say that it would be interesting to go for a set of QA1 shocks..

It would be crap to buy BS Sports and not being able to adjust if needed.

About the Konis.. I had a set of those on my old Dodge Charger and one have to order those to the config you wanted (like 70-30% and so on).
To fine adjust those Konis on the car one had to remove the shock and rotate the "piston stem".. Quite inconvinient i must say..

I like to hear that you are happy with the QA1:s exept for the price.

However, my experince are that the high cost is quickly forgotten about when you get the ride you want and that they are easy to adjust without removing from the car.

Thanks.

//Ricky.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RickyBerg
Thats the same suspension that i have appart from that i didnt buy mine as a kit and used it with my BilsteinsHD that i already had.

The suspension funktions very well and the car is very rigid in the corners.

However, those BilsteinHD:s are to soft for the fiberglass springs and the car "bounces" when driving on a uneven surface.

//Ricky.
So you found that the Bilstein HDs were too bouncy with the fiberglass springs? I think the Sports are stiffer. My entire suspension is also from VB&P, including the Carrera shocks that were part of the kit when I bought it. Carrera has since been bought by QA1.

I must say that it would be interesting to go for a set of QA1 shocks..

It would be crap to buy BS Sports and not being able to adjust if needed.

About the Konis.. I had a set of those on my old Dodge Charger and one have to order those to the config you wanted (like 70-30% and so on).
To fine adjust those Konis on the car one had to remove the shock and rotate the "piston stem".. Quite inconvinient i must say..

I like to hear that you are happy with the QA1:s exept for the price.

However, my experince are that the high cost is quickly forgotten about when you get the ride you want and that they are easy to adjust without removing from the car.

Thanks.

//Ricky.
I agree, in general, you get what you pay for. It's just had to justify 2x or 4x the money for the QA1s!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:58 PM
RickyBerg
Pro

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I agree, in general, you get what you pay for. It's just had to justify 2x or 4x the money for the QA1s!
Thats why i am here asking for experience.

My questions are more functionrelated than economyrelated at the stage im in.

My questions are adressed to those use their car similar to how i use mine, so please fill me up with inputs of function on the shocks.

//Ricky.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:14 PM
gkull
Team Owner

I presently have the rear 420# mono and 3/4 spring ends sway and I had re repair my wheel flares because of tire rub. So I was considering getting the rear QA-1 dual adjust with a coil over and use some very light spring like 50 or 80 # in conjunction to my Mono.

some how I manage to get over 3 inches of wheel compression in a turn I have about 58% rear weight bias on a just over 3000 lb car. with additional spring I want to limit the tire to @ two inches of compression in a turn with big road racing slicks
Old 12-09-2011, 05:34 PM
RickyBerg
Pro

I thik you are pushing quite a bit harder in the corners than i do "gkull", Im running on DOT street tyres so i will never se the same g-forces as you do.

But it is an interesting thougt to go for the "dual adjust" shocks to be able to find "my own" settings.

Is it posible to put on an additional "wery light spring" on any QA1 or does it have to be a purpouse made shock for coilover use?

//Ricky.

Get notified of new replies

To ***SHOCKS: Bilstein vs QA1 vs ???***

Old 12-10-2011, 09:46 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Anyways, I've looked at the Koni's, and they are priced just a little more than the Bilstein Sports. They are also adjustable. More research is needed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KON-80401020

Bilstein makes adjustable shocks for our cars? I thought they didn't, but I will look again. I know what you mean about the convenience with the QA1's, so much easier than removing the shock to make a change! I also know they are a quality product, and are also rebuildable......but the cost!!!

I was wrong. It was the Koni adjustables I had on the rear. You had to remove them and do some twist and turn and hope that it went to the next setting. I have them in my new used parts junk pile
Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 AM
gkull
Team Owner

I thik you are pushing quite a bit harder in the corners than i do "gkull", Im running on DOT street tyres so i will never se the same g-forces as you do.

But it is an interesting thougt to go for the "dual adjust" shocks to be able to find "my own" settings.

Is it posible to put on an additional "wery light spring" on any QA1 or does it have to be a purpouse made shock for coilover use?

//Ricky.
The dual adjust shocks are actually confusing to a layman. To really use them you would need track time with data aquisition on suspension movement. I don't have D/A on my car Some of the race cars at work do. I had to have a professional test driver explain to me what the info I was looking at meant.

But other than that having a 100 combinations is kind of fun. My fronts are set to more rebound resistance than compression because of my 600 - 700# springs and lighter front end

I was going to say that my Kumho street tires are actually pretty good. It takes pretty high cornering speed to get 335/17 rears to slide sideways

Last edited by gkull; 12-10-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:20 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

I was wrong. It was the Koni adjustables I had on the rear. You had to remove them and do some twist and turn and hope that it went to the next setting. I have them in my new used parts junk pile
So......I guess you didn't like the Koni's then?!?!?!

I talked to the owner of my local road race shop about them, he told me Koni's were junk and he wouldn't recommend them to anyone! I guess it's either the Bilsteins or saving my pennys for the QA1's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ***SHOCKS: Bilstein vs QA1 vs ???***