C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New intake & carb--hood clearance?

Old 09-05-2016, 08:53 PM
leeklm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New intake & carb--hood clearance?

Hey all,

In the process of selling the B&M Mega Blower on the 79, and replacing with new intake and carb. Of course then needing a new hood--likely a standard OEM replacement.

As I shop for a new intake manifold-- what kind of restrictions might I find in regards to clearance under the stock hood? I have built a few Qjets for my Pontiac, so will likely go with a spreadbore intake, Qjet, and an aftermarket drop base air cleaner.

Will a taller intake like the Performer RPM work ok?

And if you are in the market for a Blower and hood for your car- be sure to check out the classified section here...
Old 09-05-2016, 10:32 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

A performer or Performer RPM and QJet will work with a drop-base air cleaner - as an example, I have used the Edelbrock RPM 7104 and QJet on my 79. Stock cleaner won't fit, but a 1.5 in drop base and 3 inch filter did fit.

Of course, you probably know that there may be variations from car to car, so measure before you commit. Hope that is helpful.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:55 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

If I were shopping for a new hood, I would look for a higher profile hood, like for a BB, LT1, or even a L88 style.

I have been fighting hood clearance for a better intake....a real PITA.

Get notified of new replies

To New intake & carb--hood clearance?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New intake & carb--hood clearance?