C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Noise - worsens as car is driven

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 03:24 PM
RizVet
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Rear Wheel Noise - worsens as car is driven

My mechanic has changed rotors, calipers, emergency brake shoes, I believe a new spindle (dont ask), checked bearings or changed them when the spindle was done...you name it. I get a zing zing sound (not a click) from my rear left wheel after about 30 minutes of driving and not before....worsens as the car is driven more, then levels off at a very noticeable audible level (can hear with windows up on a quiet street). What can this be? Might it be the U joint? The sound does not go away when brakes are applied. Hints appreciated. I think a bad spindle again.

Last edited by RizVet; 12-09-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz71WBY
I get a zing zing sound (not a click) from my rear left wheel after about 30 minutes of driving and not before....worsens as the car is driven more, then levels off
Zing Zing like a tin piece? Sheet metal kind of sound?

When the car heats up (30 minutes) stuff expands and the tire softens
if its a real tin sound, check the brake shield and the e-brake cable clip, they are both closest to the tire itself
Make sure the tire is inflated properly.

Have someone walk beside the car as it moves slowly forward and if they can hear it compare to the tire going around. Does it only do it when the tire is in a certain place or twice per revolution?
If it's in the same spot, go drive in a small circle a few times and try again (this should move the diff to a different place compared to the other side). Is it still in the same tire orientation?

Check the leaf spring to tire / rim, might be just barely rubbing on the very edge of the rim if it's running out slightly might give zing sound

If it's the stock rim, try pulling the trim ring (and/or center cap) off, if the rim or ring is bent it might be just working back and forth on the clips slightly

Heat it up and then jack that side up and revolve the tire by hand, same?

Just some ideas to try to narrow it down some
Mooser
Old 12-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What year is your Corvette? Have you tried applying the parking brake to see if that has any effect on the sound?

If it were me, I'd drive it until it was making the sound good and loud, then pull into my driveway or garage, jack up that wheel & place jackstands, and have somebody spin it while I went underneath and listened for the source of the sound.

At the risk of giving offense, I think it's time for you to find a new mechanic. IMHO, anyone who would replace calipers, rotors, and e-brake shoes--not to mention leaving you unsure as to whether or not you've received a new spindle and bearings(!)--in an attempt to cure an intermittent noise is not the right guy. I'm not one of these guys who thinks auto mechanics are dishonest, I've know many fine ones, but I have no tolerance for R&R-ing parts "in search" of the problem. If I'm misunderstanding the situation, please correct me.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Roadking
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My noise turned up, brake shield rub after highway driving. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Wheel Noise - worsens as car is driven

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Noise - worsens as car is driven