C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTH - scrap dealers getting picky?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default WTH - scrap dealers getting picky?

I just tore down 3 GEN Is that were given to me by a buddy. I filled up my scrap bin, so I took it down to the scrap dealer as I have for a long time. I usually just toss everything in one bucket...but this time they told me *I* had to seperate everything out.

Now...I don't take the $$$ from the scrap - I just tell whoever weighs the bin they can have it. So I was pretty surprised.

Anyone else seeing this?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Scrap is at an all time high..here in s FL they are stealing copper wire from the street lights...and outside water pipes and valves.

I just know its worth more separated, especially if you want more for the copper and aluminum..radiators are getting 10-20 dollars!!!!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Slotehog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These scumbags are breaking into homes and stealing all the copper piping without the decency to shut off the water main first! Leaving the home to flood. They are even breaking into homes under construction and stealing every last inch of brand new copper piping and romex cable. And the scumbag scrapyard is accepting the brand new copper/wire KNOWING it is stolen.

This is one of the reasons construction companies and home improvement contractors are moving to the "PEX." It's a pretty neat idea, cheaper than copper, very flexible, and you dont have to worry about "sweating" the pipes which is an art form in itself.

Andy
Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
I just tore down 3 GEN Is...I usually just toss everything in one bucket...but this time they told me *I* had to seperate everything out.
Does that mean they required you to press the aluminum pistons from the steel pins and iron con rods before they would accept it?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Here you have to remove the rings, pins and rods to turn them in.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:39 AM
dbird
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a small rental house here in Georgia, stripped all copper. $780 to replace.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:55 AM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last time I took scrap to the yard I recieved around $110 for just over a ton of mixed metal. They did ask to have the differant items put into differant bin or areas ie piles. Brake drums here, aluminum there, motors over here. Get the idea? I did not have to seperate pistons from the engines and such though. Maybe I could have gotten more, don't know. My son takes all of our scrap wire still in the covering to the scrap yard, not sure how much he gets. We don't have that much maybe 50lbs every six months. We do get $10 per battery and $15 per starter though. Al
Old 11-29-2011, 11:32 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Just seems to be a new trend, or maybe just new management at the site. Old habits die hard, I guess. I'll have to spend tonight sorting stuff out, and I went and got two more bins to seperate out cast iron, steel, aluminum. I guess I'm a bit weird in that I'm not a professional shop and so don't have a professional pick-up service, but I do end up with a fair bit of scrap on a regular basis from teardowns.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:42 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiancreek
They will give you more money for the aluminum if you do. Think about it, if you don't, they will have to pay someone else to do it. Therefore they give you less money for it.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:56 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
Just seems to be a new trend, or maybe just new management at the site. Old habits die hard, I guess. I'll have to spend tonight sorting stuff out, and I went and got two more bins to seperate out cast iron, steel, aluminum. I guess I'm a bit weird in that I'm not a professional shop and so don't have a professional pick-up service, but I do end up with a fair bit of scrap on a regular basis from teardowns.
Around here there are always ads in craigslist from people who will pick up your scrap and haul it away for free, and they will sort it themselves.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

OK, I have to chuckle a bit - I found "root cause" this AM after calling the owner As noted, I used to drop the stuff off and let whoever was weighing take the $ - new management policy, they can't do that
Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 263 Likes on 210 Posts

same with lead batteries as well as copper..

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...y=mod|mostview
Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiancreek
Before long, they will be wanting you to melt it down and cast it into an ingot for them. Sheesh!!!

Scott
Old 11-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

We just weigh in our bulk, pull up to a mudhole and push it all out on the ground and weigh out and collect $$$.
Im not giving it to anyone.

Get notified of new replies

To WTH - scrap dealers getting picky?

Quick Reply: WTH - scrap dealers getting picky?