C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 10:04 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Update - Read the last entry --- For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP

Okay, fired her up this evening. And of course she's running like :U .

She started right up, however no (absoutley none) bottom end, she's real rough reving, no idle, and very hard to restart if she dies.

If I got the distrubtor off 180, would this cause these problems? Any other suggestions?

[Modified by DavidOrr, 8:26 PM 5/10/2002]
Old 05-07-2002, 10:38 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Default Re: For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP (DavidOrr)

Sorry I did not follow your Cam install I just complete a cam install on my Monster Runs like a Top. What Cam did you install, unless you instaled a real high duration cam the vette should be running as well as it did before the install. Let me know you cam and I will comment further.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:40 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Default Re: For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP (73-454)

Comp Cams XE262 - Pretty sure I missed something, just not sure what yet.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:43 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you set your timing before you started it? If you were more than one tooth off you probably wouldn't have been able to turn the distributor enough to get your initial timing set close to correct. Bring the engine to 8-10º btdc of the compression stroke on #1 (both valves will be closed) and then align the rotor with the #1 position on the cap. If you can't turn the distributor enough point the rotor at #1, you'll need to pull the distributor and reposition it so that you can. You may need a long screwdriver to position the oil pump drive so the distributor can drop in in the right position.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:46 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Default Re: For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP (Vetterodder)

I'll recheck it tomorrow, however I set the position at 8 degree's while I still had the intake off - so I could watch the lifters to verify the compression stroke.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:17 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

David the 262 is a nice street cam, that is not your problem, as stated in the other post check your timming and as a side note are you sure you set your valve lash properly, if to tight then your valves may not be opening or closing all the way. Cam swaps are a lot of work but fairly straght forward I sure would not want to do it again it took me 20 hours on my 454
Old 05-07-2002, 11:23 PM
AV76
Instructor

More than likely it is the timing. If it is not that, you may have installed the cam a few degrees retarded. Hopefully it's not that. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:02 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP (AV76)

Check your valve lash again, as stated above if you set them too tight it will run like crap, usually if your distributor is one tooth off you can still move it around to get it to run half decent. :D
Old 05-08-2002, 12:19 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP (MotorHead)

I concur, timing or valve lash. Re-check both.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:51 AM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

How sure are you that the cam gear was lined up correctly with the crank gear when you installed the timing chain ?????????

Did you use the 12 o'clock/12 o'clock or the 12 o'clock/6 o'clock method of lining up the dots. (crank gear/cam gear)
Old 05-08-2002, 02:13 AM
terryrudy
Drifting

Default Re: For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP (Barry's70LT1)

Could it be a vacuum leak somewhere? All fittings on the intake and carb are plugged? I had same symptoms and it turned out to be vacuum leaks in the intake and a bad spark plug. ;)
-terry
Old 05-08-2002, 05:09 AM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Default Re: For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP (terryrudy)

Barry, I used the 12/6 positioning

Terry, I'll check all the vaccum again. It would have to be one major leak. All the plugs went in new - AC Delco Rapid Fires.

73-454, burners, motorhead, av76 - I agree cam change is straight forward - I've got about 20 hours in it as well. I'll recheck the time and if that's not it, I'll recheck the valve lash. The initial valve lash was set with the intake off using comp cams method. Turn the engine, when exhaust starts up, set intake - zero lash + 1/2 turn. Turn the engine when intake is almost back down set exhaust. After doing this I rechecked everything using the method in the manual - #1 at compression TDC adjust half the valves. One full turn than adjust the other half - on the recheck I found a few that were loose and corrected them.

This is madding :mad because it is straight forward and time consuming - not to mention I'm sure it's something stupid I overlooked and the wifey is starting to get angry about the time I'm spending. So I get comments like, what's wrong - it ran better before you began. If she says that again :cheers: .........
Old 05-08-2002, 09:23 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

[the wifey is starting to get angry about the time I'm spending. So I get comments like, what's wrong - it ran better before you began. If she says that again :cheers: .........[/QUOTE]

MAN I used to hear that from my girlfriend all the time :mad
Old 05-08-2002, 10:21 AM
73-454
Burning Brakes

David
When you finished adjusting the valve lash were still able to turn the push rods. I used Lars method and when I completed the adjustment I could still turn the push rods I just made certain there was no up and down movement. One other question did you install new lifters with your cam. You must install new lifters with a new cam.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:28 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Default Re: For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP (73-454)

73-454, yeah I installed new lifters. I actually bought the cam kit that comp cams sells. Got new lifters, springs, timing chain, cam, seals, etc. In addition I installed the comp cams magnum rockers 1.52.

Yeah the push rods still turn, there's resistence but they turn. I called comp cams for there opinion as well, told them I adjusted the valve per there method and then checked per the manual. They indicated following the manual was a bad idea. There main concern is the break in, they don't think I will break anything else and want me to start it and run it for the 30 minutes regardless of how well it's running. Once break in is done, then tweak timing, valve lash, etc.

The saga continues.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:34 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, you fire up & break in. Can not adjust Comp anti pump up by the manual.
Should run good at the higher break in rpm.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:04 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP (Ganey)

You might be 1 tooth off on your timing and not quite getting it advaced right. You can adjust the timing during break in if you use the total timing method with a set back timing light. My XE262 idles great, but it was a pain to get everything right. Also have made sure that the dist is hooked up to the vac port and you don't have any vac leaks.

[Modified by Paul 75 L82, 4:07 PM 5/8/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP

Old 05-08-2002, 06:21 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Default Re: For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP (Paul 75 L82)

Okay, so I'm starting to feel like an idiot. I rechecked the timing, made a change, however still running like :U . No idle, very noisey, and very rough - through the whole rev.

Ran it for 30 minutes like Comp Cams wanted me to do 2200 - 2500 RPM. When I shut her down she was up to 220 degrees. She's heating up very very fast, which again would make me think it's timing.

I guess the next thing to try is resetting the valve lash and rechecking the timing, if it's vacuum I'm almost sure it will be that I did not get a good seal on the intake manifold - could be god knows I'm not infallible. Now, it's going to have to wait until the weekend - I'm tired of spending time on it. Plus I'll see if I can't find someone to help, extra set of eyes to see what I'm missing.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:23 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

After installing a Crane Energizer 272 in my 81, I had the same problems you are having. I had to advance my timing to 32 degrees. I would just advance the timing until it runs right.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:34 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Default Re: For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP (Ben Taylor)

Ben Taylor
You screwed something up I installed the same cam in my 454 I am running factory spec timming 10 BTC I cant believe that an engine can run with the method you used. Looks like you will be in for a major engine overhaul soon.

Quick Reply: For those of you following my CAM install - I need HELP