C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L88 Hood Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 07:42 AM
DO2G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default L88 Hood Fit?

I'm looking to purchase a L88 hood for my 1978 with a Big Block and air gap intake. Is there a way to measure to make sure the new hood will fit set-up before I make the purchase?
Old 11-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an Airgap with a BB. Fits great. But you will need an L88 style drop base air cleaner if the hood is the standard L88 size.
If your purchasing the hood from a reputable vendor, should not be any issues. I had to file on the hood hinges and add a few spacers to get the height and alignment correct.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:36 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

For many years I only directed people to Ecklers they were always the best, now I have been hearing they are slipping a little with the out of house manufacture of their glass parts, but I guess if I was gonna buy a hood new I would still buy from them as I can pop over and pick it up,

Hoods on c3's are hit or miss even stock swapped car to car some fit flawless some need work, if you are not hung up on purist stock and I guess with a bb you are not you might consider adding a scoop to your hood, while some will nay say this idea I find adding a scoop to a hood that fits well far easier than finding , shipping and fitting a hood,

Also look at your local and near by Craigslist I see c3 hoods especially aftermarket go as low as 50.00 and 150.00 is common.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:05 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DO2G
I'm looking to purchase a L88 hood for my 1978 with a Big Block and air gap intake. Is there a way to measure to make sure the new hood will fit set-up before I make the purchase?

I bought an L-88 "style" hood from a vendor in New York several years ago and it doesn't appears as tall as some of the other L-88 hoods I have seen. I am running a big block with an RPM Air Gap intake and dropped base 14" X 3" air filter. To get clearance I had to cut the air cleaner base down about 3/4", heavily dimple it to clear the Holley's float adjustment screws, and also remove 1/4" from the manifold's carburetor mounting surface to end up with 1/8" clearance.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2015, 02:33 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
I bought an L-88 "style" hood from a vendor in New York several years ago and it doesn't appears as tall as some of the other L-88 hoods I have seen. I am running a big block with an RPM Air Gap intake and dropped base 14" X 3" air filter. To get clearance I had to cut the air cleaner base down about 3/4", heavily dimple it to clear the Holley's float adjustment screws, and also remove 1/4" from the manifold's carburetor mounting surface to end up with 1/8" clearance.
I dont like coupes or blue yet your car just happens to one of those that has some extra spark or spirit for me, some just stand out and your does, it looks really sweet....

Get notified of new replies

To L88 Hood Fit?

Quick Reply: L88 Hood Fit?