C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 AM
scorpion18z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil pump

I am replacing the oil pump in my 1982 corvette with a like kind purchased from Advance Auto Parts. I have not taken out the distributor or disturbed the engine rotation. Will I be able to install the oil pump, providing I line up the mating groove to the distributor shaft? Is there any other tips I need to be awhere of, besides priming the pump before installation?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:05 AM
1980 blue L48
Racer

If I were you I would replace the pump drive shaft. I think it can be taken out from the top, ( thru the distributor hole). Your new one should have a steel retainer, not the cheap plastic one that you will find in your motor now. Buy a good melling pump, from Napa. And you might take a couple main caps off and have a look see for wear. I your oil pressure was low, you might have more than just a pump problem. If your main bearings have wear at the front of the motor, a new pump more than likely won`t fix the problem.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:10 AM
scorpion18z
Racer

Default Oil Pump

No issues with pressure. Just replacing the pan (see next thread down) and noticed pitting on pump gears when I removed the bottom to work with pick-up screen.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oil pump driveshaft will come out the bottom with the pump, you should at the very least replace the collar that aligns the shaft with the pump, normally this is a nylon piece from the factory, which is why so often people replace them with aftermarket metal ones.

You may have some minor troubles getting the driveshaft to align with the distributor if youre doing this from below the car, but it shouldnt be impossible.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:02 AM
scorpion18z
Racer

Thanks for the comments/advice 1980 blue L48 and fauxrs. It is really appreciated.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

If you are getting the oil pump from Advanced I would try to get a Melling. Additionally Melling now makes two pumps. The standard pump from Melling is a thinner casting compared to the older pumps. They do still make the old casting, but it is listed as a Melling Select pump. The selects are more durable if you do any racing and high rpms.

Get notified of new replies

To oil pump

Quick Reply: oil pump