C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 PM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interior paint

Yup, I did say paint.

I’m finishing up the restoration of my T & T steering column, and it’s going to need to be re-painted. I have the Corvette America interior dye, but that’s for vinyl and fabric, not metal.

What are folks using for interior metal parts? I know I can have some enamel mixed up for this, but that’s going to give me a whole lot more than I’ll need for a steering column.

The color is 1978 Dark Blue.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:23 PM
dduenkel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CTVETTE78
Yup, I did say paint.

I’m finishing up the restoration of my T & T steering column, and it’s going to need to be re-painted. I have the Corvette America interior dye, but that’s for vinyl and fabric, not metal.

What are folks using for interior metal parts? I know I can have some enamel mixed up for this, but that’s going to give me a whole lot more than I’ll need for a steering column.

I used the interior dye on my steering column and it worked great and its been around 2 years and no sign of chipping... When I called them they said you could use it on metal.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:42 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used SEM Colorcoat on my steering column. No worries. If you don't want the semi gloss look, you can add thinners to the SEM, and it will make it more of a matt finish.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 AM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CTVETTE78
Yup, I did say paint.

You CAN use it on metal. Why????? Because it isn't dye. It's paint. Specifically elastomeric paint. Be around forever. What GM used originally.

This is exactly why there's confusion when it comes to coloring interiors. Dispite popular belief, you cannot dye non porous surfaces
Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 AM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis
You CAN use it on metal. Why????? Because it isn't dye. It's paint. Specifically elastomeric paint. Be around forever. What GM used originally.

This is exactly why there's confusion when it comes to coloring interiors. Dispite popular belief, you cannot dye non porous surfaces
This is good news. Elastomeric paint.......that make sense now.

Thanks dennis.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior paint

Quick Reply: Interior paint