C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering column HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Cowboy_Customs
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering column HELP!!!

Hey everyone, I need some serious help. Long story short I dug too deep into the column on a 77 trouble shooting a telescoping problem and for some reason the upper shaft now wants to come right out when im back to the point of reinstalling the nut on the end of said shaft...... what did i do?? and why wont the highbeam switch work?? I have been through almost every article i can find on the steering column, and through Jim's writeups but this little problem hasn't been addressed nor have i seen any clear way to remove that shaft if you wanted to.... the entire time I worked on it today it never once wanted to slide out, just loose back and forth till what ever stops it from coming out did its job, untill I begin to thread on the nut on the end. now I have this shaft and a half moon keyway and anything else attached to it in my lap..... please HELP!!! I cant go buy a book to help me out either.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The part that keeps the upper shaft from sliding out from the steering column is the c-clip.

You will most probably need the c-clip retainer to hold the c-clip in place and also insulate the big telescope spring from touching metal parts of the steering column and blowing the horn.

The part #7808385 is no longer available from GM dealers. But it is available from numerous Corvette suppliers.
Jim
Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Cowboy_Customs
5th Gear

uh oh... I think I know where I screwed up now... Dont think I had the c clip in the correct spot... Thank you Jim!! You were the man I wanted to speak with, that top picture is just the picture I needed, excellent info on your site, thank you for taking the time to do what have. You kind of saved my butt on this one! Thank you!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

One other tip. If the upper shaft telescopes as you try to compress the locking plate with the special tool to install the c-clip, you will need to install the star screw to lock the shaft from moving. If the star screw interferes with the tool, obtain a 5/16-18 UNC set screw (#20 allen screw) and screw it into the upper shaft to lock it from telescoping. Be sure to remove it after the procedure.

Jim
Old 11-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Cowboy_Customs
5th Gear

Jim, thank ou for the help. I now have one other problem, i can't keep the horn from going off when turning the wheel and with the turnsignal switch. I have taken it apart and back together several times now, and set everything exactly as told to do, everything is lined up where it was before. What am i looking for now? thank you for the help I really appreciate it.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Cowboy_Customs
5th Gear

update: With JUST the shaft lock plate and c clip in, wiggling the turnsignal lever causes the horn to go off. What is going on???
Old 11-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The screw that holds the turn signal lever in place on the turn signal switch has a special small head. The incorrect screw can cause the screw head to rub on the underside of the canceling cam and the horn will blow.

Jim
Old 11-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Cowboy_Customs
5th Gear

OK, so here is where I am at NOW. I managed to install the key warning buzzer switch wrong creating my constant horn problem. However now I have NO horn what so ever.... UGH! I think im just going to leave it alone now...

Get notified of new replies

To Steering column HELP!!!

Quick Reply: Steering column HELP!!!