C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Fire Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Scott MacDonald
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't Fire Up

Ok, been racking my brains. Drove my vette the other night, parked the car like usual, have not touched it in a week. Went to start the car, turns over great, but will not fire up. Here is what I've done so far, changed the plugs - All new, properly gapped, new HEI dist. and rotor but still old coil. The coil was my next thought. Anyone have any other thoughts on why the car won't start? Very mysterious.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Scott MacDonald
Intermediate

oh, yeah one other thing I forgot to mention, gas IS getting to the carb. So I am certain it's an electrical issue, just not certain which doo-dad is dead.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you run it w/ the new HEI before this?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Scott MacDonald
Intermediate

no, at first I figured it can be 8 faulty plugs all at once, so when I changed the HEI it would only turn over, not fire up. The HEI is new, never been run. but has old coil in it.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So are you saying it had a problem before the HEI was put in?
Look into carb for accel. pump shot of gas & move throttle.
Check that you have the power wire to the HEI. Normally the module is the problem.

I bought a "new in the box" HEI, checked it out before install & found the pickup coil "bad". I disassembled including the pickup coil & found a lead was not soldered to a pickup coil wire. Soldered to fix.

Check spark- on an electronic ig. car w/ bad coil, it had a very, very weak spark.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Scott MacDonald
Intermediate

everything was working fine on the car, started fine, drove great all original (well not original, but at this point no new parts were added because there was no problem) so I get home, shut it down and the car sits for a week (approx). I go to start the car, turns over, lots of fuel smell in the air, but will not fire up. So I needed to change plus anyway so I did that, I also at the same time changed out the distributor cap and rotor thinking it may be the Distributor being fouled or corroded. Tried to start again, nothing - just turns over. So my thinking was, 8 plugs can be buggered all at once, the cap is new, what else? My thinking was coil, but now from what I have been reading, it seems the ignition module are notorious for dying without warning. So i will give that a try before I swap out the coil. Just waiting now for some dry weather to do the change out. These modules, are they really that ******? Wonder why, excessive heat? Temperature cycles? Vibration? hmmmmm.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Scott MacDonald
Intermediate

well, finally had time to replace the ignition module, fired right up. Thanks for the tips guys, this forum is brilliant.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Steve COSD
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott MacDonald
well, finally had time to replace the ignition module, fired right up. Thanks for the tips guys, this forum is brilliant.
Did you put the grease from the packet under the module? This is used to keep engine heat away from the module which modules don't like.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Scott MacDonald
Intermediate

Did I ever, and then some. lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Won't Fire Up

Quick Reply: Won't Fire Up