C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dash light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:01 AM
boltnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dash light bulbs

looks like there are one or two sizes that fit most of the gauges and and other lights behind the dash. can i get replacements at the local parts store or do i need "special' vette bulbs ? mine have hard to read part numbers on them so i was wondering if someone knew what i should ask for at advance, or pepboys, ect ?
Old 10-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 1895 bulbs for it are commonly available.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:19 AM
boltnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ganey
The 1895 bulbs for it are commonly available.
is that the larger of the two ?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Owner's manual lists correct bulb sizes. Illumination lamps are usually small; tell tale lamps are usually larger. Do your homework because you do not want to go back behind the dash a second time.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:59 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

You can get a box of the bulbs at NAPA and they are not very expensive and common to many applications - there is no Vette bulb.

Are you replacing just a few or all of them? If you are pulling the dash to change them all you may want to consider going to a LED bulb. They are a lot more expensive but they also provide a lot better lighting. I used them in one application and am very pleased with the result. I never really liked how dim my dash looked with the stock bulbs even after cleaning it all up.
Of course that may just be that my eyes aren't what they were 30 years ago.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:45 AM
mauiwilly
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spf72
You can get a box of the bulbs at NAPA and they are not very expensive and common to many applications - there is no Vette bulb.

Are you replacing just a few or all of them? If you are pulling the dash to change them all you may want to consider going to a LED bulb. They are a lot more expensive but they also provide a lot better lighting. I used them in one application and am very pleased with the result. I never really liked how dim my dash looked with the stock bulbs even after cleaning it all up.
Of course that may just be that my eyes aren't what they were 30 years ago.
There are LED replacements for dash bulbs ?? Please tell us more....
Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 AM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry it took a few days, not on as much as I would like.

Yes you can use LED and they can be much brighter. Need to make sure you buy the right ones with multiple diodes. Issues are that they can be expensive and they can't be dimmed with the standard dimmer switch. You also need to make sure your lights being dim isn't due to a bad ground or connection as LED's won't fix those issues and probably won't work at all.

Many threads on them so I would recommend doing a search. If you do an advanced search for LED in the C3 section there are a number of good articles.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

My whole dash has blue LED's and it looks really cool. You can't dim them and I was worried they would be too bright but they are just right. You don't need to order all 14 or so as some are idiot lights, I only ordered 8
Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

For those who want to go to all the trouble and expense of installing LED's, "go for it"!

For those 'others', the standard dash bulb (when properly installed, with good wiring and grounds, and a functioning light switch) should last about 10 years or so. About $15-20 worth of bulbs and a bit of work will get things back to 'normal'.

Both are viable options; but the LED's won't dim (unless you buy more "stuff").
Old 11-27-2011, 07:45 PM
RIO68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
For those who want to go to all the trouble and expense of installing LED's, "go for it"!

For those 'others', the standard dash bulb (when properly installed, with good wiring and grounds, and a functioning light switch) should last about 10 years or so. About $15-20 worth of bulbs and a bit of work will get things back to 'normal'.

Both are viable options; but the LED's won't dim (unless you buy more "stuff").
What "more stuff" are you referring to??

Also, bulbs with more elelments what is the ideal number of elements on a LED bulb? The short one has like 5 elements and looks like it will work as to height of the bulb but I have no idea what might work best????
Old 11-27-2011, 09:07 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW, the bulbs for the dash come in different wattage ratings, though they all have the same part number. If you look for the higher wattage ones, and the rest of your system is in good shape like 7T1vette says, you should be fine.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:11 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I believe I read somewhere that when you replace the dash bulbs with Clear led's, the dash actually reads blue at night. That the old bulbs is what causes the dimish Green/yellowish look.

Get notified of new replies

To dash light bulbs

Quick Reply: dash light bulbs