C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 07:56 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Aftermarket Seats

Like many on this forum, I would like to upgrade the seats on my 74. The seats I have are from a 80-81 I believe. These are far better than stock 74 seats but not enough. I know Ganey was looking for something in the aftermarket, did you find anything? Zwede has very nice C5 seats that look great but how much time/money? I don't have a cat so the floorboards are flater than some. What are my options? Putting new seats on the old rails sounds weak, but I haven't seen a better idea yet! W/30,000 members, someone should have figured out something by now. BTW racing buckets are not acceptable for the Grand Touring concept I have in mind. If the seats are not comfortable, my woman won't ride w/me! HELP.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:06 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Aftermarket Seats (Taijutsu)

Seems like I have seen some post with people stating they had Feiro seats, but I could be wrong. My father had one of the first ones made and the seats were comfortable plus had speakers in the head rests which is kinda :cool: . Of course I don't think they ever came in leather which is probably what you are looking for.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:08 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Taijutsu- I thinks it's time to find a new woman! :lol: :lol: I know YClose just bought a set of Corbeau seats.
Dan
Old 05-04-2002, 11:11 AM
fontking1a
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use the rails that come with the seats and drill new holes in those rails so they fit. Make a paper template of your floorboard and punch out where the holes are and then transfer the position of the holes to the new seats. That's what I did on my '69 and it worked out great. No matter what, I would use the existing mounting holes that are already in the car.
Old 05-04-2002, 11:18 AM
xfactor974
Pro

Default Re: Aftermarket Seats (fontking1a)

what seats do you have in yours fontking?
Old 05-04-2002, 11:35 AM
Racer16k
Pro

I have Fiero seats in mine. Used the Fiero track, but the vette pads. Had to drill out rivets and weld back together, but looks fine. Painted the tracks & pads med saddle to match. There are leather covers available, as well as new cloth. http://www.mrmikes.com They don't fold forward as far as the vette seats, but more than enough to get to the cargo area with t-tops and such. They are firm and pretty comfortable. It'd be nice if they had a little more side bolster, but they look right in the car. I think they might set just a little higher at the seat than stock seats. Shoulder harnesses don't work real well with them but stock shoulder belt would be fine.
Old 05-05-2002, 01:35 AM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

I have recently installed a pair of Corbeau A4's with Corbeau seat rails. I think they look great, but they take some getting used to. I called Corbeau before purchasing, and they said that they sit a higher (they certainly do), plus they are very narrow. I'm 5' 8", and 160lb. and they are very snug. Some people have found them to be uncomfortable, but I like them. I had a small installation problem, since I had to widen the holes on the seat base, so that they would line up with the floorpan bolt holes. Since the seats are higher, the steering wheel blocks the top of the speedo/tach, but that's not a big problem for me, although I'm considering a tilt/tele column. Also, since they are so narrow, my son's booster seat won't fit properly. Otherwise, I like them. Here are some pictures.....check them out.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/mar.../newseats1.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/mar.../newseats2.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/mar.../newseats3.jpg
Someone on the forum was able to install C5 seats in a C3, and they looked very :cool: !! You might try searching the archives, too. This seems to be a popular topic for discussion.
Old 05-05-2002, 03:42 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Default Re: Aftermarket Seats (Mark70)

Mark70- Your shark is awesome looking. You did an excellent job! Do you have any more pictures of your vette? I would love having Corbeau in my Ray, but I'm to tall and I would never get my helmet on.
Dan

[Modified by vettedan, 1:45 AM 5/5/2002]
Old 05-05-2002, 12:08 PM
Racer16k
Pro

Mark70 - Awesome looking shark! It's got that sinister, I'm gonna kick your a** look about it. The seats look really nice. How far will they fold forward for us coupe guys?
Old 05-05-2002, 12:39 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Aftermarket Seats (Racer16k)

i dont know, i was thinking that Mark70s vette has a more "I will eat your soul" look to it. i think all c2,c3, ans c5 vettes have the "i will kick you butt" look.
Old 05-05-2002, 03:47 PM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Aftermarket Seats (vettedan)

Thanks for the kudos guys!

vettedan: Do you autocross your car? I just had Guldstrand install a new suspension in my car, and I'm looking forward to some track time to find the limits! Here is another pic of my car that shows the seats, and wheels pretty well:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/mar...e/sideview.jpg

racer16k: When the seats are pushed back into the farthest rearward position, the top of the headrest is just below the sun visor. The side bolsters hit the seat bottom bolsters, and limit how far the seat tilts forward. It's a little more difficult to access the back storage area when I have the top up, but I can still get stuff in and out.

79ProwlerOrange: I know this is off the subject, but I'm trying to create a "no-nonsense" look to the car. I'm really happy with the results so far, but I still have lots of work left. Seems like C3's are never ending projects......you always find other things you'd like to do.
Old 05-05-2002, 04:46 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

How much $?
How comfortable are they?
Using your seat's demensions, is there room for larger "wider" seat?
Are you happy w/results, would you do anything differnt?
What's next for your car?
Old 05-05-2002, 05:00 PM
Heyward
Intermediate

Mark70,
I agree with vetteDan, you have done a great job with your car. Truly impressive ride.
Old 05-05-2002, 05:24 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Zwede has very nice C5 seats that look great but how much time/money?
thought they were "C4" seats. MJ
Old 05-05-2002, 05:58 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Aftermarket Seats (MNJack)

seats are really :cool:
Old 05-05-2002, 06:23 PM
SizzleChest
Safety Car

Mark70, i L O V E your car!! :cool: :cheers: :smash:
Old 05-05-2002, 09:47 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

>>http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/mark70//Photos/MyVette/newseats1.jpg
>>http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/mark70//Photos/MyVette/newseats2.jpg
>>http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/mark70//Photos/MyVette/newseats3.jpg

wow!!! Those seats look great!!!!

:cheers:

Olivier

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Seats

Old 05-05-2002, 09:57 PM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

How much $?
How comfortable are they?
Using your seat's demensions, is there room for larger "wider" seat?
Are you happy w/results, would you do anything differnt?
What's next for your car?
1. I bought the seats from this site:
http://autotoystore.com/corbeau_a4_seats.html
They had very good service, and discounted pricing. Just add the seats to your shopping basket to see the price.
2. I think the seats are comfortable, and they really hold you in place under hard cornering. But others that have tried the seats found them uncomfortable because the side bolsters are narrow. You should really try them at a local dealer before buying.
3. I'm sure the side bolsters could be wider without hitting the door panels or console. The shoulder support wings actually touch the inner door panel when the seats are pushed fully back (not a problem for me since I have short legs :D )
4. I'm happy with the results considering the cost/benefit. I could have spent more on seats that may have fit better, but the Corbeau's were reasonably priced, look good, and offer good comfort/support.
5. I'd like to finish restoring the interior (carpet, gauges, radio, etc.), and replace the dash and engine wiring. I'd also like to get some JCL baffles for my Hooker sidepipes. Then it I'd probably look at some engine mods.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:34 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Quote "vettedan: Do you autocross your car? I just had Guldstrand install a new suspension in my car, and I'm looking forward to some track time to find the limits!"Quote,
Mark70- :yesnod: I love autocrossing. I'm getting away from drag racing; something about going in a straight line no longer appeals to me. Sound like you have a trick suspension installed. I'm running a VetteBrakes front mono leaf suspension in my ray. I love it. I'm considering running a Kirkey aluminum seat for autocrossing. It will sit low enough to get a helmet on. Otherwise I will have to modify my floor. :smash: :smash: BTW, My C3 fire extinguisher kit would add a racy touch to you shark and serves a purpose. Check it out at http://www.vetteworksonline.com
Dan
Old 05-06-2002, 11:30 AM
fontking1a
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Aftermarket Seats (xfactor974)

I've got a set of later model Corvette seats that I purchased from Corvette Clinic in San Jose, CA for $250. They were "a bit" used with dark blue leather but the rails, frames and buns were all OK. I reupholstered them myself in three different grains of black leather and installed them using the rails they came with with my original bolt pattern using the template method I described above.

Had I known about the the Anniversary Edition seats with the more pronounced side bolsters, I would have asked about them and tried to find a set. But, in a future project, I will remove my seats, add some foam myself so the side bolsters are the way I want them and re-upholster where necessary.

[Modified by fontking1a, 3:31 PM 5/6/2002]

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Seats