C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 Corvette overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, that's the thermostat housing. You can get manuals at the auto parts like Haynes at Auto Zone about $10+. If it started overheating when you changed the lower hose, the old spring can be put in the new hose (or even a clamp around the hose may help if collapsing).
Old 10-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Pelayo114
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah okay, I'll try to take out the thermostat then.
And my local auto zone is supposedly out of manuals that are $24+
any clamp will help keep it from collapsing? How do I know if thats whats causing the problem tho? >.<
Old 10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it started overheating when you changed the lower hose, that would point to the hose. Probably best place for a hose clamp(s) would be about in the middle of the bend towards the water pump. The store can get a manual.

Anyway, yes I have not bought one in a long time. I was already running several hot rods & mainly wanted torque specs & a wiring diagram.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

There's been a lot of great advice here, but it appears you're not following any of it. First off, that half ball shaped thing on the top of the engine "is" the thermostat housing. Go to your local parts store and buy a new thermostat. Also get a gasket and some gasket sealer to go with it. I'd go with a 180 degree thermostat to start with. Also buy yourself a Corvette repair manual. To start, something like a Haynes manual available at almost all parts stores. It'll help you learn how to do this small stuff.
You said you started the engine and revved it to 3k-3.5k and the lower hose didn't collapse. Well, it more than likely won't when you're standing there looking at it. The hose collapses when it's hot and there's a steady draw of water through it at highway speed. Probably about 3k rpm's but it's a steady and constant rpm for quite a while. You're not going to duplicate it standing still in the driveway. And if you drive and then pull over, you won't see it collapsed because it will refill when you pull over and idle down. While at the parts store, get the correct lower hose with the spring, as you've already told us that you took the spring out and threw it away. If you'd do these things, your overheating problem will most likely disappear. Again, good luck!
Duane
Old 10-04-2011, 08:53 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Originally Posted by Pelayo114
The steel spring I thought was in there by mistake so I took it out. Do I need it?
Just to be sure, where is the thermostat exactly? In the front side of the engine?
And I'll double check the seals once I'm home.
What's the shroud?
You're kidding here, of course. If you're not kidding you need to find someone to help you.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I recently rebuilt my 350 engine and transmission and have my vette in running condition. One slight problem. When running it about 15 minutes on the freeway at about 70-80 mph it seems to want to overheat, more or less at about 240-250 degrees, and the gauge shows that its just one small line above overheating. Any thoughts as to why this could be?
From what I've been reading in this thread, you didn't rebuild anything.............
Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone who rebuilt an engine that actually runs would not be asking the sort of questions appearing above.

Pelayo, don't be afraid to admit you know nothing about engines, I was where you're at many years ago, but I learned from others who knew more than me. And do what they tell you.

1. Buy a Haynes or equivalent manual, at whatever price. The knowledge you'll pick up is priceless.

2. Buy an Assembly Instruction Manual, AIM, same as above.

3. Try to find a local Corvette club. Failing that, a Chevrolet club, or any Classic car club. Talk to the members and you will learn.

Most likely, you will not need to come back here with the same problems, but we are always here to answer your questions. Just be straight with us, and we'll return the favour.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 10-05-2011, 11:38 PM
chonkyapple
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah okay, I'll try to take out the thermostat then.
And my local auto zone is supposedly out of manuals that are $24+
any clamp will help keep it from collapsing? How do I know if thats whats causing the problem tho? >.<

If it stops getting hot then what you've changed was causing the problem

Totally loveing this thread
Old 10-11-2011, 03:18 AM
Pelayo114
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah obviously I don't know much about engines or anything. I know very simple things and I don't know things by their names, I know them by eye sight. All I know is from work me, my dad, my uncle and my best friend did at home. With that being said,
I haven't had time to do much work on it because I have been busy with work and college, I do work whenever I have some time to do it, I just bought the thermostat today because I discovered that I was running with no thermostat at all, I also squeezed the lower radiator hose(because I didn't have enough time or daylight to remove the radiator) and I felt nothing in there, so I'm guessing there is no spring and will try to purchase one asap. I am going to try the thermostat and see how that holds up with the temperature and if not I will surely replace the hose. I remember reading something about a sort of clamp over the hose that serves the same purpose as the spring, to keep the hose from constricting in on itself. Anyone know what its called or what I'm talking about?

And I couldn't reply because my internet was very glitchy and down for about a week. Finally got it fixed and made time to post this message tonight.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

where is the thermostat exactly?
love it!!!!!

Quick Reply: 1977 Corvette overheating