C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Richmond super T-10 noise.... its changed.. any ideas before i start trouble shooting

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Default Richmond super T-10 noise.... its changed.. any ideas before i start trouble shooting

got a Richmond supper T-10 in first it always had a bit of a high pitched wine... and common...2nd and 3rd less... 4 no sound.

well, anyway... the light high pitched wine is starting to sound more like a growl, and is louder than before.. 1st, 2nd and 3rd... but still quite in 4th, which is 1 to 1.....

going to start with draining the oil, look at how much mettle shavings the magnets picked up.... and go from there...

yes, the engine has much more tq than the transmission is rated for...

but the question is....Has anyone else had this symptom? and what pray tell what were the results?

thx
Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

What's TQ is it rated for ? how much torque is your motor putting out ? is it aluminum ? and does it have midplate ? Answer these questions and I will tell you what your future holds for you.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:45 PM
rbrock
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I can't say that I've had those symptoms before. My guess is that when you shift into 4th gear you are moving the slider over the engagement teeth on 4th gear (input shaft) and likely improving a mis-alignment issue between the input and the mainshaft. When using the other three gears the mainshaft is relying on the condition of the input bearing, pilot bearing, and mainshaft pilot rollers to maintain its alignment with the cluster gear. One or likely more of these bearings / bushings could be worn out.

Obviously there is lots of opportunity to make all kinds of noises in a manual gear box.

As always, my $.02

Ray
Old 09-28-2011, 10:46 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MotorHead
What's TQ is it rated for ? how much torque is your motor putting out ? is it aluminum ? and does it have midplate ? Answer these questions and I will tell you what your future holds for you.
Super T-10 375tq last chassis dyno 430tq at the rear wheels. yes aluminum. midplate?

Originally Posted by rbrock
Although I can't say that I've had those symptoms before. My guess is that when you shift into 4th gear you are moving the slider over the engagement teeth on 4th gear (input shaft) and likely improving a mis-alignment issue between the input and the mainshaft. When using the other three gears the mainshaft is relying on the condition of the input bearing, pilot bearing, and mainshaft pilot rollers to maintain its alignment with the cluster gear. One or likely more of these bearings / bushings could be worn out.

Obviously there is lots of opportunity to make all kinds of noises in a manual gear box.

As always, my $.02

Ray
sounds like a R&R I would rather pull a engine than a transmission any day of the week....

louder UNDER acceleration,......

thank you very much for your 2c
Old 09-29-2011, 12:07 PM
76stingracer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the needle bearings in the crossshaft gear are shot. Most likely the crossshaft gear is being worn out by the needle bearings. This would explain the noise only in 1-3. 4th gear the power goes straight through the box. Time for a rebuild and possibly a new crossshaft gear.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:58 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 76stingracer
Sounds like the needle bearings in the crossshaft gear are shot. Most likely the crossshaft gear is being worn out by the needle bearings. This would explain the noise only in 1-3. 4th gear the power goes straight through the box. Time for a rebuild and possibly a new crossshaft gear.
I want to go a tko600 or something like that... but i, not ready for this for at least 2 more months

Think it could hold up for 3-4 more full day runs? before she blows?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:07 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

A midplate is a strengthening piece that goes between the transmission halfs. The better ones are made of steel but they do make them out of aluminum, they help prevent the transmission from twisting which if severe enough will cause what you are experiencing, the case itself twists and therefore the gears inside get mis-aligned and can get bad enough the tranny is ruined.

I know I blew 2 Super T10's the moment I installed my 510 Tq 406ci a few years back, I think they were rated 325HP depending on what first gear you have.

You need a new tranny to handle the power but if the tranny still works you can drive it easy for a while
Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MotorHead
A midplate is a strengthening piece that goes between the transmission halfs. The better ones are made of steel but they do make them out of aluminum, they help prevent the transmission from twisting which if severe enough will cause what you are experiencing, the case itself twists and therefore the gears inside get mis-aligned and can get bad enough the tranny is ruined.

I know I blew 2 Super T10's the moment I installed my 510 Tq 406ci a few years back, I think they were rated 325HP depending on what first gear you have.

You need a new tranny to handle the power but if the tranny still works you can drive it easy for a while
Thx... easy it will be i guess...... got the SoCal C3 November cruse planned...After that, then I can take it out...If my fracken foot wasn't so heavy I wouldn't have these problems!! :wil ly:

Get notified of new replies

To Richmond super T-10 noise.... its changed.. any ideas before i start trouble shooting

Quick Reply: Richmond super T-10 noise.... its changed.. any ideas before i start trouble shooting