C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cage- Door Bar Swing Out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:54 AM
73C34me
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 53 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Cage- Door Bar Swing Out?

Greetings, I am in the process of installing a 6pt. cage in my 73. I have a door bar "hinge" kit (chassis engineering). The instructions state to cut the side bar square, where you would open & close the bar, then file or grind a relief, to provide clearance for the butt-joint swing end to clear the fixed end. (for the swing open) Is there a rule prohibiting an angle cut? An angle cut would keep the most bar material, thus strength, I would think. sounds complicated, but very simple. Just a way to provide clearance for a butt-jointed bar ends.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:19 PM
68sbcoupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 90 degree butt cut is required to maintain the strength of the tube. If the tube is crushed longitudionally (like from a head on crash) an angle cut will tend to slide. A butt cutt will not slide. Imagine your palms one on top of each other. If you push your arms together, one palm will slide over the other. If you make two fists, and push your arms together, nothing slides.

I hope this makes sense, as I am tired.

Quick Reply: Cage- Door Bar Swing Out?