C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do i really want a c3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 11:58 PM
bkirk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default do i really want a c3?

i've been in love w/c3's since i was a little kid. i remember being so pissed off when they changed the body style (i was 9!) i've been looking for an '80 or '81 for about three months now. i've dreamt of this chance for as long as i can remember----talked a guy down to my price on an '81/found a buyer for my 2000 jeep wrangler all in two days. things are really falling into place! help me out guys, i'm kind of nervous about buying my dream car and don't know why. maybe i'm scared about the reliability of a 21 year old car. i don't know. have any words of encouragement???????? :confused:
Old 05-02-2002, 12:17 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: do i really want a c3? (bkirk)

me and my friend sometimes cant decide if we want to buy expensive parts about our cars....and we encourage each other by saying "Just hit Submit" cause we usually order online. it usually is told in a joke or something, but we usually do hit it and glad we do afterwards. but anyway, just buy it....youll enjoy it no matter what. Half of the fun with my car is doing the work on it. The other half is breaking things, but its doing thing like in my signature! :D

[Modified by 74VETTE, 11:18 PM 5/1/2002]
Old 05-02-2002, 12:24 AM
terryrudy
Drifting

haha, I was EXACTLY the same way. I always wanted a '77 (last year for flat back window). Anyway, I sold my daily driver and bought the '77, hoping to make it my new daily driver and fix stuff if anything needed breaking. Anyway, soon afterwards, reality set in and I NEEDED a daily driver so I bought another driver (my Eclipse). If you can swing keeping the jeep, try to. There WILL be days when your vette won't run and you'll be waiting for a part or whatnot, and you'll need transportation. Thats the only advice I can offer.

"Dude, you're gettin' a C3!"

Sorry, those Dell commercials **** me off actually. ;)
-terry
Old 05-02-2002, 12:30 AM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

I had the same dilemma when I bought mine... I decided to take the chances, and made the most irresponsible purchase of my life. I don't know much about cars today, and back then I knew NOTHING! As it turned out, I think I got a good deal, so I'm really glad I bought it. But it could've been a disaster, so I do recommend you do your homework before you buy the car.

Some words of encouragement? Here ya go...

-You'll be the owner of the coolest car ever made! :cool:

-The C3s are very simple criatures, so you can do a lot of mechanical work yourself, if you're mechanically inclined or if, like me, you're willing to learn. You'll soon discover that working on the car is half of the fun of Corvette ownership, and will get involved in projects that are absolutely not necessary, just for fun! (Like most of us forum members do...)

-The engine of your future Vette is a small block Chevy, the most produced engine ever, so parts are found everywhere, and cheap!

-A well mantained C3 is reliable! Take care of it, and it'll take care of you!

-Pedro
Old 05-02-2002, 12:38 AM
razz1980
Racer

JUST DO IT..ENOUGH SAID :D
Old 05-02-2002, 01:18 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: do i really want a c3? (razz1980)

These are really great cars if you are willing to spend time and money. If you have LOTS of money then less time is necessary but working on them is really a big part of the joy. There is nothing like having it running and looking good and going out for a drive and having people comment on what a beautiful and unique car it is, and knowing that you do (most) of the work on it yourself adds to the pleasure. Go into it with eyes :eek: wide open and you will not be sorry.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:00 AM
L48Shark
Burning Brakes

Location: If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a veteran.
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: do i really want a c3? (Pedro'74)

-A well mantained C3 is reliable! Take care of it, and it'll take care of you!
I absolutely agree with that statement. I bought a 42K mile '77 4 years ago. All the hoses and belts broke, the calipers leaked, the master cylinder failed and she leaked a lot of fluids including gasoline when the pump failed. But after working out those gremlins from being stored, she became very reliable. :yesnod: Believe it or not, she turned out to be much more reliable than the '97 Ram pickup or '99 Camaro I used to own, both of which I bought brand new! :lol:
Old 05-02-2002, 02:17 AM
C3Vettesrock
Racer

id rather spend 15 minuts riding a vette and 2 weeks working on one than 2 weeks driving a honda and 15 minutes wondering why the hell am i driving a honda
Old 05-02-2002, 02:47 AM
L48Shark
Burning Brakes

Location: If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a veteran.
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: do i really want a c3? (C3Vettesrock)

id rather spend 15 minuts riding a vette and 2 weeks working on one than 2 weeks driving a honda and 15 minutes wondering why the hell am i driving a honda
Well said. :cheers:
Old 05-02-2002, 02:49 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

do i really want a c3?
Trust me...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'nuff said.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:57 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: do i really want a c3? (Simon Alexander)

do i really want a c3?.
I think bkirk is in need of the stupid question award of the week :p:

Now here's a stupid answer: OH HELL YES!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2002, 04:54 AM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: do i really want a c3?

You wont regret it just buy it... If you don't like it (of course you do) you can sell it again and get your money back!
Paul
Old 05-02-2002, 05:54 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

bkirk, the ONLY honest answer to your question lies within the car itself, as with ANY 20 some years old car, the question of RUST if all important....
RUST is nearly impossible to fix, exceeds value of the car very quickly in these later sharks....so get an expert from your local vette club to go over it even if you gotta slip him 100 bux in the process, it's money well spent....
otherwise you could get burnt, and ruin any chance of ever really enjoying the car....

GENE
Old 05-02-2002, 05:56 AM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

I think you know now that you came to the wrong place if your trying to get talked out of this deal but as the majority says. Go for it!!! You'll be dirty You'll be greasy but You Will Be Happy. Don't Worry be Happy, Na.... Na.... Na.... Na.... Na. Na. Na. Na. Na Na Na....
Old 05-02-2002, 06:44 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drive mine daily and really don'e have any problems. It really depends on the particular car you find. Some are unmolested originals, some are re-done very nicely but stay away from "Bubba"ized cars. You can pretty much see the tell tale signs like spliced and taped wiring, lots of loose wires, many items not working. You will most likely have a few thing to tend to when you first get the car but it is just like any other used car. :cheers:
Old 05-02-2002, 08:48 AM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I remember asking myself the morning after I bought mine, "what the heck did I just do?" Not really buyer's remorse, just a reality check because it was a chunk of change that some would not think was a practical purchase. But I'm glad I bought her. She may want me to spend a couple bucks on her every once in awhile, but the feeling I get tooling around in my car is well worth every penny.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:54 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: do i really want a c3? (BlueL36)

Go for it Bro.....The only thing you regret in life is NOT doing the things that you Wanted to do.......If you love them ...Then go for it....Trust me it is a fun hobby you will cherish and love...and u get to drive her :cheers: :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To do i really want a c3?

Old 05-02-2002, 10:45 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Do you really want one, yes, I'm sure you do. They are cool cars for sure and mostly simple. That said, I'd like to weigh in on a few things that I feel others have missed.

The '81 you're considering is considerably more complex than the pre-75 cars with no emissions, catalytic convertors, etc. Plus the '81 has a one year "computer controlled" Quadrajet carb that can be rather complex to set up and tune. There are also more complex emission control systems, since GM was still trying to figure out how to meet emission standards at that time.

Since you're saying that this is going to be your only car, you need to understand that it will require more maintenance than your Jeep. Are you handy with tools and know how to do basic maintenance like changing plugs, setting timing, bleeding brakes and replacing calipers and pads, etc. You'll likely face this and many other repairs to get the car into a reliable daily driver state. If you can't do this kind of stuff, you'll be looking at rather large bills to pay a mechaninc, and you'll be without transportation for days on end.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but take a realistic look at what you need from a car, what kind of work you can perform yourself, and whether your needs can be met with a 21 year old car.

Shannon
Old 05-02-2002, 10:54 AM
fontking1a
Burning Brakes

Hey...I'm driving a 33 year old car...and I wouldn't have it any other way. Buy the car....you'll love it.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:58 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: do i really want a c3? (C3Vettesrock)

WhooooHoooo!
I agree there!
But you gotta have, or want to have the repair skills or the mechanic bills will kill you on a 20 year old car no one wants to work on!

Quick Reply: do i really want a c3?