C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77 c3 radiator r&r

Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 AM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 77 c3 radiator r&r

I changed my water pump but the radiator has a slight leak too. I want to pull it and send it out. (I haven't put the fan on yet) The service manual says nothing about this. Do I have to pull the hood as I am alone here? Please let me know if it is the same as most other GM cars. Pop the top caps and bottom bolts and hoses and out she goes or is there more in a 77 Vette?
I am replacing every old part that can cause a possible breakdown. I am not making a car with all GM parts, sorry, I can't afford it. But all parts that I am using are made in the USA. If the box doesn't say it, I don't buy it.
Thanks
Jack
77 L82
Old 09-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I pull it by myself w/ hood on. Due to the awkward position strength needed, many would probably prefer 2 guys.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 AM
sstopczy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I replaced the radiator on my '79 without removing the hood by myself. It wasn't the easiest job, but if you take your time you should be fine. I had read you would need to remove the shroud before you remove the radiator, but while working on mine the radiator came out just fine once I pushed the shroud back toward the engine.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Radiator R and R

Yes, one can do it by themselves, but it is a whole easier and safer to both you and the car finders for two do the job. Hints,
- Hood off, clearance for lifting and getting the radiator to pull straight up
- Remove bolts under fender holding the core support and tilt forward max
- You can pull the radiator with the shroud in, but it is easier to pull both and reinstall both together.

No how you cut it this is a job.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:06 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by bigvette1
Yes, one can do it by themselves, but it is a whole easier and safer to both you and the car finders for two do the job. Hints,
- Hood off, clearance for lifting and getting the radiator to pull straight up
- Remove bolts under fender holding the core support and tilt forward max
- You can pull the radiator with the shroud in, but it is easier to pull both and reinstall both together.

No how you cut it this is a job.
I'm working through this on my 78, did by myself but agree with bigvette that it would have been easier with two. I pulled the radiator with shroud tilted toward engine but removing the upper bolts on the core support and tilting forward definitely would have helped.

I was pleased by core support had only surface rust so cleaned it up, painted and now working on the engine.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by xkeots
I am replacing every old part that can cause a possible breakdown. I am not making a car with all GM parts, sorry, I can't afford it. But all parts that I am using are made in the USA. If the box doesn't say it, I don't buy
Thats an "oxymoron" statement.
1:Can't afford it,
2:your using only USA parts.
So this means you wont be buying anything at the local parts store and will send off for everything?
Good luck with that.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tim H
Thats an "oxymoron" statement.
1:Can't afford it,
2:your using only USA parts.
So this means you wont be buying anything at the local parts store and will send off for everything?
Good luck with that.
Not really. I get most parts at dealers cost and my parts guy has a lot of old stock there and the old stock was made in the USA.
For example, I just paid $35.00 for a new old stock AC Delco water pump. So I am taking my time. I am sick of doing jobs 2 & 3 times. I say that I can't afford it because I have 10 other cars that I have to maintain too. They all get parts made in the USA. (Except for the Jaguars & Porsches).
So it's not really an oxymoron.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:00 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the tips all!

Get notified of new replies

To 77 c3 radiator r&r

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 77 c3 radiator r&r