C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Object on fuel line before carb?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:50 PM
ChaosPhoenixFix
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Object on fuel line before carb?

Ok, so me and the wife took the Vette to the beach yesterday with my mom and daughter (in my moms car) and when we were getting ready to leave, I started it up, and smelled gas. Well this thing (pictured below) that was on the fuel line before the carb. Not sure what it is, but the glass broke and gas was squirting out of it. It has a spring in the middle. I was able to connect the fuel line on both sides of this together with a brass fitting and bypass this and take it off, in order to get home, but I have no idea what it is and exactly how important it is to the running of the car.

I know, probably a stupid question, but my dad only left me the the basics of working on cars, so this is new to me. My first thought was a secondary filter of some sort or a water seperator?

This object in question:

Last edited by ChaosPhoenixFix; 09-11-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Lionsden
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That is an after market inline fuel filter. Throw that one away and replace it with one of these.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By all means get rid of the glass one!!!
Some will debate whether a secondary filter is needed but it would be easiest to just replace it with the one mentioned above.
Good Luck!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:09 PM
ChaosPhoenixFix
Burning Brakes

OK, cool. I just wanted to make sure. The old man probably put it on there to look pretty, lol. First time I went to check out the car, it was leaking cause it was loose. Tightened it up and it was fine. Now two months later the thing breaks, I will get a more conventional unit to replace it. Any particular model or brand recomended? 350ci pushing 400+ HP
Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaosPhoenixFix
OK, cool. I just wanted to make sure. The old man probably put it on there to look pretty, lol. First time I went to check out the car, it was leaking cause it was loose. Tightened it up and it was fine. Now two months later the thing breaks, I will get a more conventional unit to replace it. Any particular model or brand recomended? 350ci pushing 400+ HP
Here's the one I like to use: cheap and effective. It's a little on the large, bulky side, tho.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRM-G3/

Scott
Old 09-12-2011, 01:33 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 212 Posts

a plastic one is a no no.. and worse than the glass one. that metal one is also bad, but lots better and won't melt if it touches something hot. you need a solid plumbed line from your fuel pump to your carb for safety's sake.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:31 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by ChaosPhoenixFix
Ok, so me and the wife took the Vette to the beach yesterday with my mom and daughter (in my moms car) and when we were getting ready to leave, I started it up, and smelled gas. Well this thing (pictured below) that was on the fuel line before the carb. Not sure what it is, but the glass broke and gas was squirting out of it. It has a spring in the middle. I was able to connect the fuel line on both sides of this together with a brass fitting and bypass this and take it off, in order to get home, but I have no idea what it is and exactly how important it is to the running of the car.

I know, probably a stupid question, but my dad only left me the the basics of working on cars, so this is new to me. My first thought was a secondary filter of some sort or a water seperator?

This object in question:

Count yourself lucky my friend.

MANY a vette has burned to the ground with just that kind of fuel filter. Same goes for the foam topped open mesh filters that look like a stack.
Fiberglass is VERY flammable. Everyone should carry at least one good fire extinquisher in their car.

Bman
Old 09-12-2011, 06:56 AM
johnmb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How big a bump did you go over ?

:-)
Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

I love those glass filters, they got me my second vette REAL cheap after it caught fire and the owner let the insurance company have the car.
But really Along time ago on this site we used to preach to vette owners to get rid of them as fast as they could because they would rub on an engine part and break and fiberglass loves to burn to burn with gas!
Should be outlawed.

350ci pushing 400+ HP
Aren't they all!!!!!

a plastic one is a no no.. and worse than the glass one. that metal one is also bad, but lots better and won't melt if it touches something hot. you need a solid plumbed line from your fuel pump to your carb for safety's sake.
You make it almost impossible for a person to add a fuel filter.

Last edited by Tim H; 09-12-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 212 Posts

how to build a fuel line...

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...uel%20Line.pdf
Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by joewill

No rubber fuel hose on top of the engine. That is why those silly GM engineers put metal filters with flared fittings where they did and ran flared metal fuel lines to the carb.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:02 PM
ChaosPhoenixFix
Burning Brakes

Right now I have a rubber fuel line with a braided metal sleeve on it, that went from the carb to the filter. I be replacing the fuel filter with an inline metal one for now.

Tim H, my dad told me it was right around 435HP and 486ft-lbs at the crank, before he passed away. I am hoping to get a chance to dyno it in the future once I get all the quirks out of it and see how true this really is.

Going through the reciepts though, I know he dropped over $4500 into engine upgrades and mods alone in the last few years, and she sure scoots!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat

No rubber fuel hose on top of the engine. That is why those silly GM engineers put metal filters with flared fittings where they did and ran flared metal fuel lines to the carb.
That is unless you are running an electric pump from the rear. In that case a metal line from the frame to the carb will eventually break from the engine twisting and will spew gas everywhere and burn your car to the ground. If you didn't know about the inline fuel filter, you might want to see if any other fuel system modifications have been made.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

hard to run a metal line to a Holley chrome fuel line.
No wait I see you shouldn't run a $15 chrome fuel line, you have to spend $100 or its not acceptable?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:16 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,718 Likes on 2,275 Posts

If you have an in-line electric pump, you will need a flex hose somewhere between the pump and the engine. Just make sure it isn't near the engine (put it just after the pump on the frame rail). Pressurized fuel spraying on your exhaust manifold, etc. is not good for your car or for you. Use a good quality fuel line with braided metal jacket. And check it every now and then for any wear/tear or damage.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,196 Likes on 491 Posts

Just can't let the glass touch anything.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tim H
hard to run a metal line to a Holley chrome fuel line.
No wait I see you shouldn't run a $15 chrome fuel line, you have to spend $100 or its not acceptable?
Tim
I really don't care what anybody does to their car. The factory engineers did things a certain way for a reason. If your Holley's $15 chrome fuel line and whatever fuel system you've engineered works and you never have a problem, good for you! The OP inherited a car that has been modified from the way it left the factory and his lack of fuel system knowledge almost caused the car to be destroyed.
Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To Object on fuel line before carb?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Tim
I really don't care what anybody does to their car. The factory engineers did things a certain way for a reason. If your Holley's $15 chrome fuel line and whatever fuel system you've engineered works and you never have a problem, good for you! The OP inherited a car that has been modified from the way it left the factory and his lack of fuel system knowledge almost caused the car to be destroyed.
Dennis
So what your saying is anything on a car other than factory is unacceptable?
The factory built a car to minim standards nothing better.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:23 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

True, but the standards would include items such as not leaking, not vapor locking, not peculating, lasting XXX thousand miles, etc.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Not saying that at all. Rubber fuels hoses with worm clamps on top of the engine, glass and plastic filters, none of these Bubba ideas are acceptable. If you are going to change what the factory did, do it better and make it safe.

Quick Reply: Object on fuel line before carb?