C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's this crap in my float bowl?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what's this crap in my float bowl?

Hi All,
I've had a few threads up recently regarding some particulates in my carb (670 Street Avenger) so today I took it apart. Here's what I found. The secondary float is the black one and the primary is the other. First, color difference... is that correct? Second, notice in the primary bowl there is a deposit of something in the lower right. Any ideas what that would be from? It is non magentic and stuck on there pretty good. I'll need something abrasive to get the last of it off. Could the coating be coming off my float and collecting there?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by Dantana; 09-04-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:18 AM
olescarb
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I can not tell for sure by looking at the picture but Holley did have a metal corrosion problem with some of thier carbs, if the metal of the bowl is blistering you may want to contact the Holley tech line and check to see if they will replace the carb under warranty. They were standing behind all the carbs that had this issue in the past so it is worth asking them about it.

I hope this helps Henry @ olescarb
Old 09-04-2011, 11:22 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Looks like some nasty [internal] corrosion in the float bowl...which should never occur. Call Holley. They should at least send you a replacement float bowl.

P.S. Is there any external source of heat under that area (higher heating than for the other areas of the carb)?
Old 09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
learje
Racer

my 670 SAs' secondary side was literally disintigrating. urs is just starting. ive only had my car a couple months and found it when i first disassembled the carb for some tuning. guy at the local shop here sold me a used bowl cheap, said its a known issue, possibly related to ethanol gas sitting for an extended time in some holley bowls. i never looked into ti any further
Old 09-04-2011, 02:12 PM
myk7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen metal shavings and crap in new carbs. I'd never just throw a new one a car now.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

sounds like i can not just clean this out and reinstall the float bowl... I need a new (different) one?

Is it normal that the floats are different on the primary and seconday side?
Old 09-05-2011, 04:51 PM
learje
Racer

up to u on clean vs replace. IF i could scrape all the loose crap out of it i might consider running it. but mine, which was much worse, just continued to flake to pieces the more a worked at it. id check around the local shops, and see if they will sell u a used one cheap.

my floats r different, dunno why
Old 09-05-2011, 05:10 PM
myk7
Pro

I'd give it a shot if runs good, I'd check that float bowl every so often though.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:16 PM
scott2173
Instructor

ok this is just my 2 cent's
ethenol creates moisture "water"
with there being a brass float and aluminum bowl and the other metal parts "float pin and mount"
are we looking at electrolysis causeing corrosion because of the water created from the ethenol sitting in the bowl ?
how old/new is the carb?
do you use gas with ethenol ?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM
ToddG
Instructor

Originally Posted by scott2173
ok this is just my 2 cent's
ethenol creates moisture "water"
with there being a brass float and aluminum bowl and the other metal parts "float pin and mount"
are we looking at electrolysis causeing corrosion because of the water created from the ethenol sitting in the bowl ?
how old/new is the carb?
do you use gas with ethenol ?
I will add 2 more cents to that..
Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

I believe that all our gas in IL has ethanol in it (10%?) so I would be inclined to answer yes to that question. The car did sit over the winter and I did not drain the float bowls, carb is roughly 3-4 years old. I run '93 Oct exclusively and occasionally dump some 108 boost in there if i feel inclined. It's pretty much been stumbling a little all year but recently got really bad, to the point of no longer being driveable.

I'll try giving it a clean and see what happens.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
scott2173
Instructor

ide say replace that bowl
once it starts pitting i think its done makes the surface more porus
Old 09-06-2011, 03:47 PM
KeyWestJack
Pro

Old 09-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

I just spoke to Holley and they have advised that based on the date code the carb was built in 2003 and that what I am describing is sediment collecting after letting the car sit over time, like in the winter. I protested and they recommended that I clean out the bowl, jets, power valve, transfer slots, etc with carb cleaner and compressed air and re-install the carb.

I'm going to give it a go tonight. I also noticed that my secondary float is way out of adjustment, it's almost all the way down.

P.S. I forgot to answer on the abnormal heat source ... I do not have any out of the ordinary heat on/under the carb. Should be running as designed to run.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 PM
olescarb
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

If you are happy with the carb I would suggest you buy a new fuel bowl, if the corrosion gets worse it may flake off and cause driveability problems if the flakes get into the jets, accelerator pump system or metering block.

Henry @ olescarb
Old 09-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Legacy Stables
Racer

very simple question, cant you seal up the bowl after you grind that off? gas tank sealer or por-15 hell rubber dip?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:35 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if that is true and that date code really is 2003 i would say you have had a decent run with it especially if from time to time it sat dormant.

it still shouldnt happen but after 10 years its plausable.

with no waranty to speak of i would just search for a replacement bowl if the rest of it looks good because i wouldnt chance flaking to continue and cause greater issues down the track.

Get notified of new replies

To what's this crap in my float bowl?

Quick Reply: what's this crap in my float bowl?