C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Carburetor Heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 05:06 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Default Holley Carburetor Heat shield

Spent most of the afternoon installing the Holley Carb heat shield. As usual, nothing fits a C3 Corvette "out of the box". I had to trim here & trim there to make it fit correctly. Thank God for Dremel tools. Also found out, if you put the aluminum shield to a polishing wheel, it polishes up quite nicely.

Anyway, my question is: do they really work? keeping the heat away from the carb?

Last edited by vetteguy75; 09-03-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure if they work or not but nice work on the shield and nice job on the post!
Old 09-03-2011, 07:13 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

a heat sheild will drop your carb. temperature by about 100 degrees.
it is a very good thing.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteguy75
Spent most of the afternoon installing the Holley Carb heat shield. As usual, nothing fits a C3 Corvette "out of the box". I had to trim here & trim there to make it fit correctly. Thank God for Dremel tools. Also found out, if you put the aluminum shield to a polishing wheel, it polishes up quite nicely.

Anyway, my question is: do they really work? keeping the heat away from the carb?

Does anybody know if polishing the aluminum makes it reflect heat any better?

Scott
Old 09-03-2011, 09:19 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

LA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Does anybody know if polishing the aluminum makes it reflect heat any better?

Scott
Good Question.....
Old 09-03-2011, 11:11 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

LA Events Coordinator

Old 09-03-2011, 11:52 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Not sure about the 100 deg thing but sure it makes a noticeable difference.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:44 PM
JohnnyLT1Runner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much of a difference? I could really use one of these.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:52 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Simply put the heat 'shield' acts like fins on a motorcycle engine case or the heat sink in numerous electronic components. It absorbs engine heat from the engine that would otherwise be absorbed by the denser zinc in the carburetor and allows it to be dissipated. If anything, polishing it would have a negative effect on heat dissipation since the smoother surface would have less overall area with which to dissipate said heat, but the difference would be negligible.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:35 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

polishing would make almost no measureable differance,
I am assuming, along with the sheild you isolated your carb,
with a thicker composite gasket, just the isloation with a gasket,
will drop the carb almost 100 degrees I measured it.
with a running warmed up engine, you cannot hold your hand on a carb.
more than a few seconds, Isolate the same carb
it will actually get very cold, amazing differance.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:08 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,182 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by birdsmith
Simply put the heat 'shield' acts like fins on a motorcycle engine case or the heat sink in numerous electronic components. It absorbs engine heat from the engine that would otherwise be absorbed by the denser zinc in the carburetor and allows it to be dissipated. If anything, polishing it would have a negative effect on heat dissipation since the smoother surface would have less overall area with which to dissipate said heat, but the difference would be negligible.
Does it?

Or does is serve as a reflector, reflecting the heat from the heat riser and manifolds back away from the carb? In that case, polishing would have a positive, though negligible impact.

I don't know know..., could go either way?
Old 09-10-2011, 12:02 AM
WTFizzit
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by birdsmith
I don't really see it working that way. Presumably the carb should be considerably cooler (than the rest of the engine) due to the constant flow of (hopefully) cooler fuel and intake air moving through it. It will be picking up heat from physical contact with the engine and radiant engine heat, plus convective contact with hot underhood air. Insulating the carb from direct conducted engine heat makes a big difference (the base insulator), and the heat shield should block some of the radiant engine heat. However, if the shield is in direct contact with the carb (especially one made of aluminum, which has VERY high thermal conductivity), the shield might be "sinking" radiant and maybe convective heat toward the carb. There is no such thing as cold-----"cold" is just a relative lack of heat, and heat tends to move from areas of higher heat to areas of lower heat, trying to reach equalibrium. Its been a long time since physics class and I feel like I'm maybe sticking my neck out with my analysis, but, hey, that's what these forums are all about, right? Healthy debate and thorough humiliation!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:11 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

First thing I took off when I bought mine 10 years ago. Buncha fluff, can you tell me what the heat shield will do for you ? But at least you have the skills and realize you have to modify aftermarket parts almost all the time opposed to those that think everything should just bolt right up, and start blaming a vendor. You could actually have done that, name the vendor and say the part didn't fit and have a hissy fit.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

There is one for the Q-Jet as well.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Vett
a heat sheild will drop your carb. temperature by about 100 degrees.
it is a very good thing.
A wood or plastic one might help but a metal one at best stops some heat from rising around the carb base but thats it.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:28 AM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

LA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by WTFizzit
I don't really see it working that way. Presumably the carb should be considerably cooler (than the rest of the engine) due to the constant flow of (hopefully) cooler fuel and intake air moving through it. It will be picking up heat from physical contact with the engine and radiant engine heat, plus convective contact with hot underhood air. Insulating the carb from direct conducted engine heat makes a big difference (the base insulator), and the heat shield should block some of the radiant engine heat. However, if the shield is in direct contact with the carb (especially one made of aluminum, which has VERY high thermal conductivity), the shield might be "sinking" radiant and maybe convective heat toward the carb. There is no such thing as cold-----"cold" is just a relative lack of heat, and heat tends to move from areas of higher heat to areas of lower heat, trying to reach equalibrium. Its been a long time since physics class and I feel like I'm maybe sticking my neck out with my analysis, but, hey, that's what these forums are all about, right? Healthy debate and thorough humiliation!

The I way installed mine, was(in order from the intake manifold to the carb)

1) card board gasket (top left in picture) 2) Aluminum Heat Shield 3) 1/4" thick composite gasket (bottom left) and 4) the carb itself

Get notified of new replies

To Holley Carburetor Heat shield

Quick Reply: Holley Carburetor Heat shield