C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat time!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 03:55 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thermostat time!

Saw the first victim of the hotter weather today. Someone in a SUV pulled over to the side of the highway with hood open and steam pouring out. Almost every car that pulled into the gas station I worked at with steam pouring out was due to the thermostat not opening all the way. Serious damage can result...anything from a ruptured radiator to blown head gaskets and warped heads.

If you really really want to run a thermostat (I don't use one myself) then do the smart thing and replace it every year about this time. It's only like $5.00 and is easily installed in about 10 minutes, you don't even need to drain all your coolant...just drain about 1/2 gallon. I suppose every other year would be safe enough, but if you have never replaced it then it's time to replace it before the hotter weather takes it's toll.

Old 04-30-2002, 05:04 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Thermostat time! (Rockn-Roll)

...It's only like $5.00 and is easily installed in about 10 minutes,...
Good advise! :yesnod:
It USUALLY can be installed in about "10 minutes", but I can remember one day a few years back I decided to spend "10 minutes" changing out the thermostat on my '80. To make a long story short, one of the thermostat housing bolt heads twisted off. . . :cuss :smash: It took me hours to recover. I had to drill out the remains of the bolt and re-tap the threads. I nearly ended up replacing the whole intake manifold.
(note to self. . . "USE ANTI-SEIZE")
Old 04-30-2002, 03:43 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thermostat time! (MIKER)

I have one of the "fail safe" kind, more expensive, but can't fail in the shut position. It's a 160 degree version.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:50 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Thermostat time! (68shark)

I have one of the "fail safe" kind, more expensive, but can't fail in the shut position.
Please note that the problem isn't that the thermostats won't open at all, although some do that too, they mostly just don't open all the way...the problem doesn't appear until the weather turns hot. It's no big deal to drive all winter with a thermostat that only opens 1/2 way, but when the first 80 degree weather hits...get out the rice cause you'll have plenty of steam to cook them with.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:17 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Thanks for the tip - but it's too late for me - I've already been at the 250-degree mark ! :eek: :mad :cuss

So-o-o-o-o OUT comes the t-stat - tonight !!!

We're talkin' circular file, buddy - in da trash - don't need no stinkin' thermostat !!! :cuss :cuss :cuss
Old 04-30-2002, 04:24 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Thermostat time! (verskel)

Two reason to keep a themostat

1 Engine warms up faster reducing friction and wear
2 Creates increased pressure which helps aid in cooling

You can buy a restricter insert to aid in increasing pressure and would probably speed up warming process. The insert is basically a round disk that fits in the thermostat area with about an inch hole in the middle. I read some research on this that convinced me to put a thermostat back in my intake.

Just some food for thought. Of course some food can make you
:U .
Old 04-30-2002, 04:25 PM
79Corvette02
Le Mans Master

Heres a dumb question from an oblivious C3 owner. You can run your car with no thermostat? I boiled over last summer because mine 'froze up'-not something I want to happen again. What are the pro's/con's of this setup? To be honest, I've never heard of this before...Anyone care to inform your mentally inept forum member? :p:
Old 04-30-2002, 04:37 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Thermostat time! (79Corvette02)

I'm one of those that doesn't use a thermostat. I also use a coolant (Evans Coolant) that does not require the cooling system to work under high pressure which is the source of most of your leaks. My engine temps is between 180 to 190 depending on driving conditions. Let the flames begin. Rod
http://www.evanscooling.com/main2.htm

[Modified by Red73, 3:38 PM 4/30/2002]
Old 04-30-2002, 04:41 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Thermostat time! (Red73)

I'm one of those that doesn't use a thermostat. I also use a coolant (Evans Coolant) that does not require the cooling system to work under high pressure which is the source of most of your leaks. My engine temps is between 180 to 190 depending on driving conditions. Let the flames begin. Rod
http://www.evanscooling.com/main2.htm

[Modified by Red73, 3:38 PM 4/30/2002]

Wow 25 bucks a Gallon.....Is it really that good??
Old 04-30-2002, 05:37 PM
One GM A Tech
Pro

Default Re: Thermostat time! (Fevre)

Old 04-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Thermostat time! (One GM A Tech)

:smash:
Old 05-01-2002, 12:56 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Thermostat time! (79Corvette02)

Heres a dumb question from an oblivious C3 owner. You can run your car with no thermostat? I boiled over last summer because mine 'froze up'-not something I want to happen again. What are the pro's/con's of this setup? To be honest, I've never heard of this before...Anyone care to inform your mentally inept forum member? :p:
Pros: A $5 part won't cause $100's in damage, your engine cools down faster due to the increased flow rate, you won't have to worry when the temp gauge rises above 200.

Cons: The only thing I can see is that it takes longer to heat up the engine so the heater doesn't put out as much heat during the winter. I have found no solid physics reasoning for an engine having more wear when the thermostat is out. I've run without thermostat for over a decade and 66,000 miles and have had not seen any damage to the engine.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:55 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Add me to the "No-Stat" group. Only in my Vette & Stang though. My Vette had the heater hoses removed & plugged. I don't drive it in Very, very cold weather so I don't miss it. After 2-3 failed stats over the years causing the problems Rockn-roll mentioned above(and much$$), I removed the stats from the "leisure vehicles" and lowered to 160 in my daily drivers. Never had any day to day drivability or computer problems in the newer cars.

I also put the restrictor plate from Moroso in my Stang. You get three sizes in the kit and I put the middle one in. I do drive the Stang in the winter so I think I'll switch the restrictor to the smaller opening plate. Using the mid sized plate and in very cold weather, it doesn't generate enough heat.

On my BB rebuild I think I'll use the restrictor plate. About a year ago there was a huge arguement on the forum about this same subject. From what I remember of the post, running no stat may lead to premature engine wear but the rate at which this occurs is very slow. I think a restrictor plate is a safe compromise.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:31 AM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Thermostat time! (Alwyn678)

Cost for me was not the issue considering what most people spend on engine parts. My question would be did you read the technical information for the product? and if you like their theory on cooling then you should choose to use it, if not, stay with whatever you are using. It's no different than choosing to pay $2 for a quarter of oil or $5 for synthetic oil, it's a matter of choice based on your own beliefs of the product. Many people on the forum would drop $1000 in a minute for a set of aluminum heads after they do their research on which head would be best for them. I would guess that most do not do the same research for their coolant. Can I tell you that it's better than anti-freeze and water, no I can't. I happen to like their theory on the cooling system and it functioning either at low or no pressure. I will continue to use their product until I find something that I think is better than theirs. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Thermostat time!

Quick Reply: Thermostat time!