C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering needs some help???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 AM
killerbeeDH
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, some questions for you.

GM has a real problem with inadequate fluid flow on some platforms. Heavy engines, bigger tires, aftermarket wheel offset, etc illuminates the problem, which is most noticeable at idle parking scenarios where brakes (hydroboost) robs flow further. In these scenarios, steering assist suffers unless engine rpm is increased during the maneuver.

1. Is there a reason to expect flow to increase at idle rpm with a modified flow fitting?
2. What is the function of the larger hole on the wall of the fitting, closest to the flow control valve?
3. Can the large flow control spring lose rate over time, creating recirculation (bypass) even at idle/low flow condition?

I have examined a couple of reman pumps and noticed that the fit of the flow control valve in the port is not very tight, there is obvious play.

4. Can blowby recirculation be a factor, particularly in reman pumps?

Michael
Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by killerbeeDH
Jim, some questions for you.

GM has a real problem with inadequate fluid flow on some platforms. Heavy engines, bigger tires, aftermarket wheel offset, etc illuminates the problem, which is most noticeable at idle parking scenarios where brakes (hydroboost) robs flow further. In these scenarios, steering assist suffers unless engine rpm is increased during the maneuver.

1. Is there a reason to expect flow to increase at idle rpm with a modified flow fitting?
2. What is the function of the larger hole on the wall of the fitting, closest to the flow control valve?
3. Can the large flow control spring lose rate over time, creating recirculation (bypass) even at idle/low flow condition?

I have examined a couple of reman pumps and noticed that the fit of the flow control valve in the port is not very tight, there is obvious play.

4. Can blowby recirculation be a factor, particularly in reman pumps?

Michael
Michael,
Here are my answers to the best of my knowledge:
1. Idle flow will not increase with larger outlet fitting throat diameters. At idle, the flow is controlled by the displacement of the pump itself. A larger rise cam is needed to increase the flow at idle.

2. I think the hole on the end of the discharge fitting is to prevent the flow control valve from restricting flow when it is hard against the end of the fitting.

3a. I am not aware of flow control valve springs losing compression load. But anything is possible.

3b. The fit of the flow control valve to the pump bore is very critical. Excessive clearance would translate to increased blow-by and loss of flow under all conditions. I know that Saginaw held the pump bore inside diameter and the flow control valve outside diameter extremely close. I don't recall the exact clearance numbers. We did competitive analysis of Toyota pumps and found that they had to zone their parts (measure and match) in order to obtain the tight clearances that Saginaw held as produced.

Jim
Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 PM
redwhitekat
Racer

I am thinking of getting an old astro van pump any specific years or all they all the same
Old 06-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Trip 69
Advanced

My power steering works most of the time. Sometimes tho, at slower speeds I have to really rev the engine to get it to be power steering again. It just goes non power...should I check the valve, part no. 6, inside the pump?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:10 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just tried this yesterday. A 1/8 inch (0.125") drill bit was a sloppy fit in the passageway, and a 9/64" (0.141) would not fit. So I guess the origional orifice was something like 0.130". Drilled it out with the 9/64, cleaned and deburred it, and replaced it. So I increased the cross sectional area of the orifice by maybe 17%. Hope it's not too much.
Test drove at about 9:30 PM last night.
Nice.
I like it.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:13 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
One thing about opening the throat of the discharge fitting is that more flow also translates to higher system fluid temperatures. More flow out of the pump causes higher back pressures down stream and the pump has to work a bit harder. This will cause somewhat higher system temperatures. I'm not saying that you will need a cooler but just be aware of this drawback.

Jim
Lets say we measure the temps. At what temp would a cooler be required? How hot is too hot?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
Lets say we measure the temps. At what temp would a cooler be required? How hot is too hot?
I would view it as being similar to an auto trans. Many new cars and truck come with coolers now a days. My rule of thumb is, you need over 200* to steam out moister but over 250* rubber and seals start getting soft.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:29 PM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 11-22-2013, 11:17 AM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I sure have appreciated the Borgenson Co. power steering set-up. I had to rob the Piggy bank, But it is the Best money I've spent in a long time. Have a happy Thanksgiving. Gene
The following users liked this post:
American Raven (03-17-2019)
Old 08-13-2014, 01:40 AM
401KVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by hugie82
This might be an odd ball question but is there anyway to boost the power steering on these old vettes? Mine is an 82 and because of authritis I'm starting to have a had time with parking. I thought there might be a way to bump up the hydralic pressure but I can't find anything on line.
I had a similar problem. Someone told me about the stuff so I tried it. I sucked all the fluid I could out with a fluid pump. I then added 16 oz. of Lucas Power Steering Conditioner and Stop Leak. I then finished filling the reservoir up with fresh power steering fluid. It made a world of difference. It was a cheap fix, and that was about 4 years ago.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:49 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

Originally Posted by 401KVette
I had a similar problem. Someone told me about the stuff so I tried it. I sucked all the fluid I could out with a fluid pump. I then added 16 oz. of Lucas Power Steering Conditioner and Stop Leak. I then finished filling the reservoir up with fresh power steering fluid. It made a world of difference. It was a cheap fix, and that was about 4 years ago.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:41 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts
Default and if you don't like the result?

One thing about opening the throat of the discharge fitting is that more flow also translates to higher system fluid temperatures. More flow out of the pump causes higher back pressures down stream and the pump has to work a bit harder. This will cause somewhat higher system temperatures. I'm not saying that you will need a cooler but just be aware of this drawback.

Jim
you can't fill the hole back in if you do not like the way it feels after modification. even if you buy another to drill. you should have orig part in a box with all the other orig parts.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:34 PM
b46nelson
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went a different route to increasing the power steering output. I tried replacing the power valve and pump, wheel alignments, and played with the pump valve modification as listed in the above post without any luck.

I replaced the springs in the power valve. The spool in the power valve must move to provide the assisted power steering. By replacing with a weaker/lighter set of springs the spool will move side to side with less effort applied. Look at how the power valve works and you will see what I'm talking about. One must use caution to not install to weak a spring to provide to much assist. I made this modification around 20-25 years ago and can't tell you what springs I used.

This made the 74 vette a different car. I actually hated driving the car at first but loved the lines. After the power valve modification I then loved driving the car. Much lighter feeling and didn't drive like a tank around town.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:18 PM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Does the Borgeson offer 'easier' steering, or just better steering?

After the mod, will slow parking lot steering be less effortless?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2016, 08:20 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by damoroso
I guess the first question is, are you sure your steering is working properly now? These aren't designed to have so much assist that you can turn the wheel with a finger, but they aren't that tight if things are working properly. If you have a stuck flow control valve, faulty control vavle or some other failure, that's an entirely different issue. Then there's the problem that these systems were designed to work with a specific pressure, if you go over that, I'd think you run the risk of blowing seals or hoses.

That being said, you could always swap to a Borgeson steering box or a rack system if you need more power assist.
I guess the first question is, are you sure your steering is working properly now?.."
Same here and before making any modification..Check the power steering fluid AND see that the level is proper on the little dipstick based on TEMPERATURE..COLD will be lower level than hot..Also check the belt,,
yes it's not easy to be older..but check the simple stuff first..IF you have anyone in a local club who has a similar system..have them try your steering..and you try theirs...Jim
"
Old 06-17-2017, 09:54 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I still don't fully understand that if Hydroboost is added does it change the dynamics sufficiently enough to require a PS pump upgrade? A low speeds after the accumulator is drained braking is dangerous, when parking both braking and steering is nearly impossible. I am running 245 tires up front. Mind you the issue seems to have gotten worse, thinking the pump is fading or I just NEED more flow. I see that Corvette Pacifica offers both an OEM and a Saginaw pump, with the later being new and cheaper! I know I can adjust the pressure output, but I don't think is this the way forward.

Any ideas? ... I want to take this old girl to the track someday!
Old 06-18-2017, 04:29 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by carbster09
I still don't fully understand that if Hydroboost is added does it change the dynamics sufficiently enough to require a PS pump upgrade? A low speeds after the accumulator is drained braking is dangerous, when parking both braking and steering is nearly impossible. I am running 245 tires up front. Mind you the issue seems to have gotten worse, thinking the pump is fading or I just NEED more flow. I see that Corvette Pacifica offers both an OEM and a Saginaw pump, with the later being new and cheaper! I know I can adjust the pressure output, but I don't think is this the way forward.

Any ideas? ... I want to take this old girl to the track someday!
It sounds like you need more flow. Your current pump may have enough capacity, even at low engine rpm, but the control valve may be limiting flow too much. Refer to posts by Jim Shea and Oldboat above.

I increased the flow but I'm still don't have power assist to either brakes or steering. Checking the actuator rod length and projection into the master cylinder is the next thing I'm going to check.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering needs some help???

Old 12-17-2019, 06:23 PM
Corvettedave02
C3. 427, 4-link, c7 z06
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

I rebuilt my 76 with a kit from mid American or ecklers about 10 years ago and thought it worked great and frankly was easier than my modern challenger to turn. A little too light I always thought. No leaks anymore either. Maybe yours isn’t working properly?

Last edited by Corvettedave02; 12-17-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:14 PM
Cobratei
Heel & Toe

Default Power steering hose leak at 1400 psi?

I know that this may not sound correct but trust me! You don't want more absolute pressure from your pump, you want more flow in order to reduce the amount of effort to turn the steering wheel. When you have more flow, pressure builds quicker, your steering will be more responsive, and your effort at the steering wheel will be less. Your Corvette pump puts out a controlled flow of around 2.9 gallons per minute.

You could try this, obtain a power steering pump from a Chevrolet Astro van (or the GMC equivalent - the name escapes me right now.) The connector & fitting assembly #24 is threaded into the back of the pump. This fitting controls the amount of flow out of the pump. Astro van pumps have fittings that allow pump fluid output of something like 3.3 gallons per minute. You want to swap that fitting with the one in your pump. It should increase the flow by a measurable amount.

You do NOT want to swap the control valve assembly #6 behind the discharge fitting. That valve will increase the absolute pressure that the pump can produce. The control valve assembly inside your Corvette pump was designed to limit pump pressure to around 1000 psi. The control valve in the Astro van is set at 1400 psi. There is a good chance that your Corvette hoses will leak from the increased pressure if you swap the control valves.

However, while you have removed the fitting assembly from your pump, reach into the pump with a rod and press on the control valve assembly. It should easily slide inside the pump bore and compress the spring #5 behind it. If it feels sticky or binds, it could cause your steering effort to increase and feel like manual steering.

Good luck,
Jim
To begin with the high pressure power steering hoses are usually rated for 6000 PSI burst. So running 3000 psi is doable,
​​​​ it would just shorten the life of the hose the higher you go. A well-made high pressure power steering hose has of working PSI rating of about 1,500 PSI so again 1400 PSI would not be a problem unless the hoses will bad to begin with.
if you're going to give advice at least make sure the advice you giving is accurate. I only say this because of my 53 years experience in the automotive field and in that. Of time you make a lot of mistakes what you learn from. Nobody's perfect and we'll always learning unless we have a head in a box.
BTW, I agree with increasing flow. Also check your ball joints. I had a customer that swore the slave cylinder was bad because he wasn't getting the power assist that it should have and the customer is always right. I replaced it and it was the same way. He insisted I replace it. While I had the car up in the air I checked the whole thing out, which is the right way to do it, turns out that both of the lower ball joints we're almost seized. I mean with the tie rod disconnected I really had to put both hands on the Tire to move it. Make sure someone didn't crank down on the steering box adjuster. They do that thinging it will stop the 3" - 4" steering wheel play. Nope! It just makes it harder to turn the wheel.
So go over the whole front end suspension to make sure the problem is not being caused by more thsn one thing.

Last edited by Cobratei; 08-07-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:33 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I know that this may not sound correct but trust me! You don't want more absolute pressure from your pump, you want more flow in order to reduce the amount of effort to turn the steering wheel. When you have more flow, pressure builds quicker, your steering will be more responsive, and your effort at the steering wheel will be less. Your Corvette pump puts out a controlled flow of around 2.9 gallons per minute.

You could try this, obtain a power steering pump from a Chevrolet Astro van (or the GMC equivalent - the name escapes me right now.) The connector & fitting assembly #24 is threaded into the back of the pump. This fitting controls the amount of flow out of the pump. Astro van pumps have fittings that allow pump fluid output of something like 3.3 gallons per minute. You want to swap that fitting with the one in your pump. It should increase the flow by a measurable amount.

You do NOT want to swap the control valve assembly #6 behind the discharge fitting. That valve will increase the absolute pressure that the pump can produce. The control valve assembly inside your Corvette pump was designed to limit pump pressure to around 1000 psi. The control valve in the Astro van is set at 1400 psi. There is a good chance that your Corvette hoses will leak from the increased pressure if you swap the control valves.

However, while you have removed the fitting assembly from your pump, reach into the pump with a rod and press on the control valve assembly. It should easily slide inside the pump bore and compress the spring #5 behind it. If it feels sticky or binds, it could cause your steering effort to increase and feel like manual steering.

Good luck,
Jim
Hi everyone, I noticed Jim Shea has not had any activity on corvetteforum.com in quite some time; I hope all is well with him. I am working on the front suspension/steering on my 76. Can anyone confirm the Astro van connector/fitting assembly swap that Jim suggests does help with the amount of steering effort required? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Power steering needs some help???