C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Professional Products, Pro Comp and plain old copies...

Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Professional Products, Pro Comp and plain old copies...

I know when it comes to parts, especially heads etc, a lot of people say to stay away from the cheaper end of the market and I guess it goes for all things.

Im looking for a 'cheap' vortec style intake and was looking at getting a 2nd hand Edelbrock 2116 but am having difficulty finding a seller who is willing to even talk to an international buyer.

I then started looking at the Professional Products 52007 Cyclone intake at summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-52007/ at $146.95 + shipping.

I then looked on ebay for the same product and found other makes using the same or almost the same part #s.
KMJ Performance

ProComp

There were others.
Are any of these any good quality wise? Some say about permanent steel molds to ensure great accuracy and no core shift.

Just wondering about my options. Im not building a high HP monster, just a decent fun machine and wondered if it was worth waiting for a decent used intake or trying one of these.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:46 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do know this...regardless of its origin if Summit sells it they will stand behind it. You may find an identical product on ebay and you may also pay a little less than from Summit but may run into problems if and when you need to return it...that won't happen with Summit.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:50 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

I hear you on that but what ever I do its going to cost me around $80 to get this in to the UK, then possibly taxes on top of it. If I have to send it back, its going to cost me big time!

I guess if I had one shipped to my friend in CA, he could at least give it the once over to check for any obvious damage and then after that, it will be up to me.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would rather have a used Edelbrock or Weiand than a copy.

I understand the situation getting parts there...
Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Ive seen a couple of the edelbrock 2116's on craigslist but I guess people are wary about being scammed.
I had a lead on one in CA but that went cold. One in Saginaw....

Do Weiand make a Vortec intake? I havent checked that out, may offer up some more possibilities.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Mikes*Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jotto
Do Weiand make a Vortec intake? I havent checked that out, may offer up some more possibilities.
Yes they do,Real Steel has them for sale at £137.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:09 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dell Boy
Yes they do,Real Steel has them for sale at £137.
Just looked, its the 8121 which is the squarebore, Im looking for a spreadbore as I want to keep the qjet for now.

Last edited by jotto; 08-04-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Mikes*Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh well back to the drawing board then.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:41 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After actually looking at the pictures I did notice that that intake is missing the four bolt holes between the intake ports. As much of a penchant as Chevys have for sucking oil up into the intake ports I really think I'd avoid that piece...
Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jotto
Just looked, its the 8121 which is the squarebore, Im looking for a spreadbore as I want to keep the qjet for now.
Next door neighbor bought a set of new pro comp heads off a company doing business on e-bay.$900.00 complete oval port BBC heads. They come in valve covers won't even fit without him grinding on them to make them fit. No telling what else is wrong quality wise. So i convince him to send them back. He calls the E-bay vendor company they want a $250.00 restocking fee to take them back. What these people are doing is buying the cheap chinese junk could care less if theres a problem they make 25 perecent you send it back.

One of my relatives put his daughter into the salon business, She finds a good price on the internet for some mirrors over at a warehouse in garland texas. They are delivered to her place she makes the mistake of not opening them up looking at them before signing for them. Later we open the boxes three of the four mirrors have smudge marks inbeded into the mirror (chinese mirrors) can't be wiped off. Relative and i load them up haul them back over to the warehouse in his yukon. Get there say there defective show them the imbeded smudge marks. They don't care they want a $250.00 restocking fee. The blood pressure is getting pretty steamed now. Realative has a wife that just works for lawyers he gets ahold of her on his cell phone says ill let you talk to my lawyer. They talk to her on the phone she's now pretending to be a lawyer. They finally took them back still would not do it for less then $35.00 for boxes. So now the loss is $35.00, Gas for the fuel hog, some lost time.

If i lived in europe id pay a hair more up front for a proven edelbrock and no chance in hell buy off e-bay.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 08-04-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by birdsmith
After actually looking at the pictures I did notice that that intake is missing the four bolt holes between the intake ports. As much of a penchant as Chevys have for sucking oil up into the intake ports I really think I'd avoid that piece...
Vortec heads don't have bolt hole there, just the two at each corner. Yeah, I know, it's kinda weird, but there it is.

Scott
Old 08-06-2011, 01:38 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

I've seen many ProProd 52007 & also have one.
52007 is made in China ... BUT ... it meets all requirements of "Form, Fit & Function" ... AND it is wee bit shorter than any aftermarket spreadbore Vortec intake. It is shorter than EB 2116. Although they are quite similar, 52007 is Not a copy of 2116.

From what I can tell, Pro Comp is different kettle of fish.

Some China parts are junk, some are not. It depends primarily on what our American importers contract for.

I've worked on and flown in two Red Chinese fighter-trainers; very sturdy piece!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:05 AM
Luke in SA
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a bit of internet searching on Procomp.... You will get the idea.
Seen some heads, Look like melted down coke cans.
Lots of holes need die grinding just to line up.

I would hate to see you buy it twice.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Imo Apita
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There is really nothing wrong with buying and selling on EBay. Some people are just too paranoid around here.
I'm eyeballing the Hurricane and Typhoon intakes as well.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

I have bought several Professional Products intakes and have 1 right now ready to install, I like the crosswind model.
I will not pay Edelbrock prices just for the sake of paying to fill his summer pool and drain and paint the winter pool!
Old 08-06-2011, 11:08 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

No way to I put inferior chinese parts on my car just to save 20%! A new 2116 is what $175.00 from Summit?! You get what you pay for! To me $30 is worth it!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
No way to I put inferior chinese parts on my car just to save 20%! A new 2116 is what $175.00 from Summit?! You get what you pay for! To me $30 is worth it!
Well some people don't have to or can't manage money like most have to.
I can look up parts in a Summit parts catalog also.
Edelbrock Polished RPM intake #75011= $349.95
Professional Products crosswinds intake polished #52025= $251.95.
Thats $98 that could be used to buy some more goodies.
But some need Edelbrock to tell them what pockets to stick their money in.

Get notified of new replies

To Professional Products, Pro Comp and plain old copies...

Old 08-13-2011, 10:41 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll buy the Edelbrock. I'll pay the extra $ to buy the product from the company that actually did the research and development and then had their product manufactured in the USA. I don't care if the owner of that company is rich now. Isn't success the the whole point of building a business?

You can save a few dollars if need be, and buy the one from the company that had a china-man reverse engineer the Edelbrock manifold and is now having them built in China.

Just remember, the next job shipped to China may be yours.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

The Chinese can make quality parts and equipment but they know we won't pay the price for something that actually performs well. So we buy their junk at cut-rate prices.

They are experts at copying anything from a hammer to sophisticated electronic equipment. Everything looks perfect, problem is it doesn't work as well as the copied part and in some cases the parts don't even work at all and the hammer head ends up embedded in your wall.

I bought a $200 bluetooth cell phone ear piece. The best on the market about 5 years ago from Ebay for $50. The packaging, instructions and the ear piece itself where identical to what I saw in the stores, you could not tell the difference.

I sent it back to the manufacturer Jabra because it didn't work. I got it back un-repaired with a note from then saying they did not make the earpiece, they didn't say who did but I have a good idea who made it.

As far as intakes go, it's not what it looks like on the outside, it's what's going on in the inside, they most likely flow like crap. So you could have a set of real nice heads that flow 275cfm by themselves and you bolt on a Lucky Hurricane manifold and you lose %30 of your flow.

I had my AFR227's port matched to a Vic Jr intake by AFR and had the heads flowed with and without the Vic Jr intake. There was a 3% loss with the Vic Jr bolted to the head on the flow bench.

Bottom line don't buy the Chinese junk
Old 08-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZBRA

Just remember, the next job shipped to China may be yours.

That would be hard to do, I work for the city I live in!
As for the "buy Vics stuff because he did the research", ho hum!
Lets take time and break this down.
Japan makes it
The intake is ordered by an 1"America company" and 2"shipped" over here and unloaded by Americans. 3 trucked to a warehouse. 4 distributed to a parts store. 5 Sells rep sells it over the phone. 6 UPs delivers it.
Thats 6 Americans to 1 Japanese involved in the intake, not to mention gas and paper products used to box, ship, fuel, and handling.
That cheaper intake put several Americans to work that day I ordered it verses deciding not buying an Edelbrock because its grossly over priced due to name brand loyalty.
I will not buy a new Edelbrock anything.
I will pickup a used Edelbrock intake clean it up and sell for a nice profit from brand loyalty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Professional Products, Pro Comp and plain old copies...