C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wideband O2 sensor location

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
langg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wideband O2 sensor location

Hi.
I am interested in using an air/fuel ratio meter to analyze and adjust my mixture. Unfortunately there are no bungs welded into my headers. I have Hooker Super Comps and outside pipes and two carbs. Anyone have experience with clamping a sensor in the outlet of the side pipes for A/F analysis?

Thanks for looking at this.

LangG
Old 08-01-2011, 04:46 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many header manufacturers offer a collector with the bung already installed - mine is actually installed in the pipe just after the collector.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by langg
Hi.
I am interested in using an air/fuel ratio meter to analyze and adjust my mixture. Unfortunately there are no bungs welded into my headers. I have Hooker Super Comps and outside pipes and two carbs. Anyone have experience with clamping a sensor in the outlet of the side pipes for A/F analysis?

LangG
I believe it's no big deal, but you'll have to angle it, to clear the frame. Seen the sensor is so far away from the engine, you need a heated one.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:23 PM
langg
Racer

What I have in mind is a temporary installation for tuning. I have carbs so I don't need it for normal operation.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 PM
langg
Racer

If I did want to put a bung in, anyone do this? I looked and it looks like there isn't room to clear the rocker trim and maybe not enough to clear the frame. What I read says to mount it at a 10 degree angle from the horizontal.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 PM
MrForce
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Innovate offers a tailpipe clamp kit for it's wideband sensor. I have used it and while it is not as fast acting or accurate as having the same sensor in the header, it will help you see where you are and where you are going as you make changes.

Rob
Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Proffesional products one but with shorty headers
Nick
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM
langg
Racer

Thanks! I'll look into the tail pipe clamp from innovative.

The picture is nice. looks like you have a great car. Unfortunately, I have four tubes going all the way to the collector outside the car on the side. I could put it out there but it would be unattractive. I want to keep it underneath (if I go permanent).

Lang
Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 AM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you are are getting a wide band fuel/air guage. It has a heated O2 sensor. You can locate it anywhere upstream of the cats if you have cats. Angle the bung upward at an angle to prevent water intrusion. Wire it to a switched 12v source to save your battery and prevent the O2 sensor from burning out. Don't leave the O2 sensor in place without it being hooked up to 12v (heated) while the car is running or it will destroy itself in a short time.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 AM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just pulled the front exhaust pipe (I am using the factory manifolds) and drilled the hole for the bung at the distance described in the A/F meter instructions. Then I brought the piece of pipe and the weld spud to a nearby muffler shop and they welded it for $10.
Done.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 AM
68thumper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by langg
Hi.

LangG
The O2 for the fuel injection on my '68 is located in the collector...seems to work well...

Old 03-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

$80 for the tailpipe kit, $10 + installation for your own bung.

I guess you could use it for multiple cars with the tailpipe kit, but really it's about the worst way to go. If you have cats, its usefulness will be greatly reduced. If you don't, you still significantly increase the chance for exhaust leaks to have an effect and also run some (but not much) risk of outside air contaminating the exhaust gases.

You really should just get it welded in. I had mine done just past the collector flange so that I didn't mess up my pretty ceramic headers.

Last edited by Shark Racer; 03-28-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To wideband O2 sensor location

Quick Reply: wideband O2 sensor location