C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Air Conditioning Thread AC

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:20 PM
got one
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultimate Air Conditioning Thread AC

So, I have done some searching and I find info hear and there, but not quite what I am looking for.

If I am looking to keep very cool on 108 degree day in my 1969...what would be best AC system to use.

Stock
Modified Stock
Vintage Air
Something other than Vintage Air

I am just trying to get my 1969 to get as cold as mechanically possible on my 350 1969 coupe.

Thanks all! Feel free to add diagrams, etc to this thread so others who want to learn how to work/modify and research AC can hopefully have just one thread to view

Ryan
Old 08-01-2011, 04:29 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If yours already has factory A/C installed, I would recommend that you get it up and running per original specs. You must remember that the temperature you can maintain inside the car is a combination of 1) the cooling provided by the A/C system; and 2) the amount of externally produced heat that is allowed to come into the interior. That second factor is what most C3 owners don't know how to deal with. There are so many sources of unwanted heat, and a 40 year old car with hard/smashed seals that don't keep that heat out anymore, it becomes difficult for the stock system (or any system, for that matter) to keep up with it.

There are lots of archived threads about all the detailed items that need to be checked/repaired/upgraded to reject and block heat in the C3, that the SEARCH function should be your first research effort. There are also several booklets that have been written on those various sources of unwanted interior heat and how to block them. You can check with some of the Corvette parts vendors and/or do internet search for some of that material.

I don't know that any aftermarket A/C system is going to be any better at keeping your car cooler than the original system could do...if repaired properly. So, if you have GM A/C system in yours, it would be most cost effective to go that way, I believe.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:38 PM
got one
Advanced

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If yours already has factory A/C installed, I would recommend that you get it up and running per original specs. You must remember that the temperature you can maintain inside the car is a combination of 1) the cooling provided by the A/C system; and 2) the amount of externally produced heat that is allowed to come into the interior. That second factor is what most C3 owners don't know how to deal with. There are so many sources of unwanted heat, and a 40 year old car with hard/smashed seals that don't keep that heat out anymore, it becomes difficult for the stock system (or any system, for that matter) to keep up with it.

There are lots of archived threads about all the detailed items that need to be checked/repaired/upgraded to reject and block heat in the C3, that the SEARCH function should be your first research effort. There are also several booklets that have been written on those various sources of unwanted interior heat and how to block them. You can check with some of the Corvette parts vendors and/or do internet search for some of that material.

I don't know that any aftermarket A/C system is going to be any better at keeping your car cooler than the original system could do...if repaired properly. So, if you have GM A/C system in yours, it would be most cost effective to go that way, I believe.
My factory AC is working to spec...and it just barely blows cold AC...I am natually hot blooded (I sleep with my room at 56 degrees at night), so the 'norm' doesn't apply to me I want it as cold as possible. I did check the seals, insulation, etc...all good to go and new there. Now...what can we do to get ice on the windows
Old 08-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Modified stock for perf. The main thing I would change is the heavy A6 compressor on early models to one that uses less HP.

I replaced the R4 compressor with a ND 6P (8.2 C.I. & similiar to Sanden 508) which uses less HP & works great. Compressor, custom brackets & hoses to stock A/C system.

Vintage Air is a good option if non a/c car.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:42 PM
got one
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ganey
Modified stock for perf. The main thing I would change is the heavy A6 compressor on early models to one that uses less HP.

I replaced the R4 compressor with a ND 6P (8.2 C.I. & similiar to Sanden 508) which uses less HP & works great. Compressor, custom brackets & hoses to stock A/C system.

Vintage Air is a good option if non a/c car.
Where would one buy that setup for their factory AC car?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:08 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Originally Posted by got one
My factory AC is working to spec...and it just barely blows cold AC...I am natually hot blooded (I sleep with my room at 56 degrees at night), so the 'norm' doesn't apply to me I want it as cold as possible. I did check the seals, insulation, etc...all good to go and new there. Now...what can we do to get ice on the windows
If it just barely blows cold than its not to spec.

Your AC will work very well if correct but can be improved if you want to do a little more work.

Is it still R12?
Who charged it and did they use a charging cylinder or did they do it by hand?
Hows the air flow out the vents?
Has the evaporator coil been removed and cleaned properly?

There's allot of work to get it back to like new factory condition and once brought back to factory spec it will work very good.

Neal
Old 08-01-2011, 10:53 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Have you checked to see if there are leaves/debris in the air plenum? Very common problem that effectively blocks airflow into the passenger compartment.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:08 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Save your time and money, go straight to Vintage Air.... Gen IV Sure fit series... make sure you ask them for the latest ECU update that is specifically for vettes....

Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 AM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That and put in the insulation collar above the bell housing.I also insulated the floor with husmat and installed the heat shield above the tranny.My vintageair sys hits 36 deg at the vents.If you already have air they make a kit replace it.I don't much about the factory air performance.Never had one that worked.Some of these othere guys might help you there.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

There's also a mod you can do to install a C4 fan to increase the airflow. I havn't done it myself but I understand from reading other comments that it works real well getting more cool air into the cabin. Do a search, I'm sure you'll find some threads on it.

Ecklers is selling a new replacement A6 compressor that is a redesign of the original that is advertised to require less hp to turn it. That would be a nice option if it works as advertised since it would bolt up without changing anything.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1963-1976.html

Get notified of new replies

To Ultimate Air Conditioning Thread AC

Quick Reply: Ultimate Air Conditioning Thread AC