C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans coolant lines. Tips ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Spitfire80
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans coolant lines. Tips ?

1980 vette

With some assistant I have recently added a shift/trans kit and lovin' every minute of it.
Not sure if this is a coincidence but my trans coolant line near the rad have started "seeping". Not a lot but enough to bother me when I see oil on my garage floor.
I've tighten/snugged the clamps with negative results.

I'm assuming since the new shift kit was installed, pressure has increased and my old dried up rubber section of the lines are due to be changed.

Do I need to take the bottom rad hose out to be able to access the top trans line ? Damn it sure looks tight for me to reach !!!!!

Any tips and advice anyone ?

S80
Old 07-29-2011, 11:06 PM
vettenoir
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spitfire80
1980 vette
Any tips and advice anyone ?
S80
Since it sounds like you have to work on the tranny lines, it might be time to invest in a separate tranny cooler. They're pretty inexpensive and can save you big $$$ in the long run. I also routed my tranny cooler lines along the frame rail, away from the headers. Seems kind of silly to run cooling lines next to pipes that can hit 800 deg F.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:52 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The lines should be steel from the trans, directly forward along the oil pan rail to just behind the fuel pump. There, the lines turn outboard and run along the crossmember to the frame rail close to the right lower control arm. Forward a bit more then the rubber lines to short tubes from the radiator. The rubber lines are, IIRC about 12" long each. Be sure you use hose marked "TRANS COOLER". the rubber compound is different than fuel line.

Get notified of new replies

To Trans coolant lines. Tips ?

Quick Reply: Trans coolant lines. Tips ?