C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brakes staying on

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:03 AM
tompands
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brakes staying on

OK, after ALL the headaches I've had with the brakes on this car AND after finally getting a hard pedal , and "thinking" I have conquered the Brake problems....I still have run into a brick wall.
I took the car for a 3 mile ride yesterday, while returning to the house, I felt a drag on the front brakes. By the time I pulled into my garage the fronts were almost locking up...obviously not releasing. My light also comes on now every time I start the car, I hit the brake pedal and it goes out.
Everything on this car's brake system is new except the valve/switch.
Either my Rod is too long/short(HA,HA), between the master and booster or there is air in the system or my valve is no good.

BRAKE GURU'S please advise.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If the fronts are still dragging, loosen off the two nuts that hold the master to the booster. If the brakes release, your problem is with the pushrod/master.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:55 AM
75+78 Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
If the fronts are still dragging, loosen off the two nuts that hold the master to the booster. If the brakes release, your problem is with the pushrod/master.
+1. If they don't release, loosen the lines to the MC and if fluid gushes out and the brakes release, you could have a bad MC (this was my case). the fact your brakes are dragging does not indicate a bad switch for your lights being on, somethings not right in the hydraulic. I would also check the distribution block as well.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

don't forget about swollen rubber brake lines ......the rubber lines actually swell and under pressure the fluid goes through them and applies the brakes and then the swollen rubber lines act as a one way check valve and dont let the brakes retract
Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,149 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
don't forget about swollen rubber brake lines ......the rubber lines actually swell and under pressure the fluid goes through them and applies the brakes and then the swollen rubber lines act as a one way check valve and dont let the brakes retract

I had this problem on one of the rear lines, looked perfect from the outside (like new) but was all cracked on the inside. When you put the brake on the fluid pushed all of the little bits open and then they would flop back closed and not let the fluid back out, but not every single time.
With the brake stuck on I started cracking line fittings until it released and then took of the flex hose, you could stick a coat-hanger through it one way and not the other.
New flex lines all around and moved on.
Mooser

Get notified of new replies

To Front Brakes staying on

Quick Reply: Front Brakes staying on