C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:55 PM
JimE
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 69 starting problem

Working on a 69 350 auto. I'm having trouble getting the starter to engage. Sometimes the starter engages half way & clicks, then when you hit the key again there may be no power in the car at all. I've replaced both ground wires & cleaned everything. The battery checks good, the starter checks good. When I remove the positve cable from the starter and check it I get 12 volts. If I take jumpers and go directly from the battery to the starter it will turn over, I do this with the pos cable removed at both ends. Neutral safety? what are your thoughts?
Old 07-30-2011, 08:56 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JimE
Working on a 69 350 auto. I'm having trouble getting the starter to engage. Sometimes the starter engages half way & clicks, then when you hit the key again there may be no power in the car at all. I've replaced both ground wires & cleaned everything. The battery checks good, the starter checks good. When I remove the positve cable from the starter and check it I get 12 volts. If I take jumpers and go directly from the battery to the starter it will turn over, I do this with the pos cable removed at both ends. Neutral safety? what are your thoughts?
If, like you say, all power is lost, the problem will lie either with the main power cables, or the main power coming into the car. So, Check out all of the connections of the large cables, including the large ground cable going under the car to the frame, and check out the fusible link and the main firewall connector.

Quick Reply: 69 starting problem