C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77 c3 paint stripping question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 12:14 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 77 c3 paint stripping question

Help. I am not used to doing body and paint work on glass. Big question, I do not have a garage now for my 77 as my 63 sw took it. I am stripping the paint with a razor blade little by little but I need to know if the outdoor elements can harm the body as I am stripping off all of the paint and leaving it bare?

Thanks
Jack 77 82

Last edited by xkeots; 07-04-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to include paint in topic
Old 07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Yes outdoor elements can contaminate your car. SMC and fiberglass is like a sponge, absorbing moisture and oils, bird droppings, contaminates in rain etc.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:14 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am doing my 1977 outside under a Harbor Freight portable carport.. about $250 unless it's on sale. It provides protection from direct rain, sun and birds, but not wind borne stuff like pollen. I would get it under some sort of cover, and prime as you strip... epoxy is pretty durable as a sealer. Wash it regularly to keep the build up at a minimum... I use Dawn dish soap, just rinse well to avoid detergent build up.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been stripping mine for a few months now as I get time.. An hour here an there. I have had a few conversations with "DUB" who is very knowledgeable about paint and body work. I am doing mine in my garage and he still stressed the importance of keeping plastic over the car when I'm not working on it. You really dont want to have any impurities under that paint because you will do double the work trying to fix it. Do you have room for the enclosed style portable carports? I just googled them and they start around $300. Might be worth it if you have space for it. Just my .02

Get notified of new replies

To 77 c3 paint stripping question

Quick Reply: 77 c3 paint stripping question