C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shark Bite Aluminum Control Arms.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:05 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Shark Bite Aluminum Control Arms.

Gentleman; Is it worth the 750.00 to improve the geometry on the front end of my C3, by installing the Shark Bite Aluminum Control Arms??? I understand that it Changes caster, camber & roll center, Are these really things I would want to do?? Or are the Tubular A-Arms just as good?? Or should I just keep the stock A-arms?? After reading the ( Wheel alignment Rant ) I decided to ask these Questions.
Thanks, I Appreciate. Have a great day. Gene
Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 PM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 189 Posts

I've also been looking at these upper A-Arms for awhile now. Speed Direct has a nice writeup about how they have changed the "Roll Center". I too am wondering if there is any noticable steering difference.

Has anyone installed these?

John
Old 06-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Fonz69
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plan on road racing your vette? buy them

Not going racing? Save the money
Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I have had them for a couple of years now. Worth while? For me yes but I am very critical of the handling. The main benefits (for me) are the increased castor angles available, a big plus with 18" wheels and the revised pick up points which eliminates bump steer.

Graeme
Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 AM
doctorgene
Drifting

Yes Sir; Maybe this is part of owning a C3, but; when I'm going 80, 85, on a six lane highway, I feel like I'm holding on for dear life. I had the frame checked when I started the rebuild. I have replaced all suspension components with all H. D. parts. I even replaced my Trailing Arms, Bilstein shocks, Spreader Bar, Strut rod kit w/heim joints, H.D. tie rod sleeves W/ locking nuts. I have added sway bars & taken them back off. The only thing I have not done is changed alignment shops. The shop has worked on all my cars for years, father to son. Have no problems with any of my other cars. Thanks for all your help, forum members. Have a great day. Gene
Old 06-07-2011, 12:34 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorgene
Yes Sir; Maybe this is part of owning a C3, but; when I'm going 80, 85, on a six lane highway, I feel like I'm holding on for dear life. I had the frame checked when I started the rebuild. I have replaced all suspension components with all H. D. parts. I even replaced my Trailing Arms, Bilstein shocks, Spreader Bar, Strut rod kit w/heim joints, H.D. tie rod sleeves W/ locking nuts. I have added sway bars & taken them back off. The only thing I have not done is changed alignment shops. The shop has worked on all my cars for years, father to son. Have no problems with any of my other cars. Thanks for all your help, forum members. Have a great day. Gene
Gene,

Somethings wrong with the basic setup someplace. I can do 85 on the highway and let go of the wheel, everything is smooth without any wandering. My car is a 75 with all stock suspension, it's been rebuilt but everything is as the car was designed. No heavy duty stuff and all rubber bushings.
Obvious question but are you sure your alignment has been done properly?

Bill
Old 06-08-2011, 08:18 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wheel alignment Rant...yeah that's me!

Stimulate the economy all you want by buying those alloy A-arms but that's not going to correct your high speed steering problem. I'd say you need to upgrade your alignment specs to those recommended by VBP or Guildstrand...not just racing but the specs for everyday driving.

I installed the Steeroids power rack & pinion so used the specs recommended by them. But I also slotted my upper control arm shafts to gain more positive caster as described by forum member norvalwilhelm.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 AM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 189 Posts

To all you guys who have cars that track nicely at high speeds, can you please share your front & rear alignment specs with us?

Thanks,
John
Old 06-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRR
To all you guys who have cars that track nicely at high speeds, can you please share your front & rear alignment specs with us?

Thanks,
John
Stock GM settings. If it doesn't track well, find out what's worn out or broken.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:11 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Thanks,
John
Hi John,

I would be happy to if I had them, I took mine to a Corvette shop near here and just had them do it. I assume they did it to GM spec but I actually don't know for sure. They never asked me what kind of driving I do or anything.
Bill
Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Thanks,
John
Front:

Camber: -0.5 dgr
Caster: +4.5 dgr
Toe-in: 1/16"

Rear:

Camber: -0.7 dgr
Toe-in: 1/16"

Very happy with this spec. Mods: 17" rims, 255/50-17 tires. Bilstein shocks. 1 1/8" front, 7/16" rear swaybar.

I actually have those aluminum upper a-arms. Good quality, have worked well.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:28 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Yes Sir; Update, just came from the Frame shop. Right side upper A-arm took a good 1/2 of shims to bring it back to factory specs. I'm going out in the next half hour to the freeway to try it out. Thanks for all the help you guys gave me. Have a great day. Gene
Old 06-09-2011, 02:48 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Alignment, has been causing me the problem for at least the last three years. The Frame shop said; You should of brought this right back to us. They wouldn't even charge me, Said; They were very sorry for causing me the anguish. I can go right down the freeway, with hands off the wheel, at 85 MPH. Thanks to the Corvette Forum, another problem solved. I Appreciate. Gene
Old 06-09-2011, 09:58 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Hey great news!! Congratulations, sounds like a good bunch of guys that admitted they made a mistake and wanted to make it right too.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Fonz69
Pro

Good deal

My 69 is set at factory spec too and I noticed taking a hard off ramp that if I let go of the wheel the car still drove itself around the ramp

Car goes straight as a arrow down the road at all speeds and no signs of bad tire wear.

Not saying its a bad thing taking a turn and handling like that but just diffferent then the everyday driver.

I hope its the same results as other c3 vette's
Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I got Steeroids and VB&P Ultra Suspension package. It's frikkin' awesome!

Get notified of new replies

To Shark Bite Aluminum Control Arms.

Quick Reply: Shark Bite Aluminum Control Arms.