C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sandblasting Trailing Arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sandblasting Trailing Arms

I am ready to clean up my trailing arms. I am not going to disassemble the wheel bearings, they measured good. I took the rotor off and the parking brake assembly. I have left the half shaft flange intact.

Has anyone had experience in sandblasting these arms?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:04 PM
jimiscnc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can only offer generalities - if youre blasting the trailing arm as an assembly - less the parts you mention, you really have to seal up all around all seals to prevent sand. and then aim carefully when blasting.

at your stage of disassembly, i think it's east to separate the trailing arm from the spindle carrier, yes?

i think doing the arm separate would be good enough?

-jim
Old 05-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Korevette
Racer

Do you need to remove the axle flange plate to then allow the bearing carrier, brake caliper bracket and disc brake shield to seperate?

Once you have seperated these parts have you changed anything dimensionally?

I want to reassemble the rotor back onto its original positon to retain the correct run out hence not doing the whole tear down if this is a concern.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:50 PM
RickyBerg
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi.

Personally i think if you take everything apart you will get both a better result and it will be much more easy to handle the parts in the sandblasting box.

I did all this to my front end this winter and its realy not a big deal to separate things.

It is propably A LOT easier to put thing back on the car again if you do it "bit by bit" aswell.

//Ricky.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:16 AM
7T3C3TTZ07
Racer

Originally Posted by RickyBerg
Hi.

Personally i think if you take everything apart you will get both a better result

//Ricky.
I agree. If you go take it to a shop, a trailing arm will cost around $75 for sandblasting and powder coating (retail price).
Old 05-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Korevette
Racer

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will start another thread on the question of how to seperate the trailing arm from the bearing support.

Dano,
Old 05-29-2011, 11:49 PM
Korevette
Racer

Looking again it appears I would need to disassemble the axle to seperate the disk brake backing plate. I did not want to 'disturb' my bearings as they have the required end play and present no roughness.

I found a plastic bottle that will slip over the axle flange flush to the inside of the trailing arm to seal off and will wrap a small diameter rope around the outer seal with out damaging it several times to prevent sand from entering. Once done I will wrap that area with duct tape then sandblast.

I will give it a go and post any successes I have found.

Dano,

Get notified of new replies

To Sandblasting Trailing Arms

Quick Reply: Sandblasting Trailing Arms