C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet from wilcox... does anyone have the same problem i have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi rr,
The foam blocks are called out as 'spacers' in the AIM. In 71 they're shown in UPC 1, Sheet F 31; Rear Carpet and Insulators. They even came as a right and left. I'm not sure how long they may have continued in production?
They help hold the carpet tabs from sagging into the empty area above the #4 body mount.
My car only had one; some kind soul on the forum sold me a pair.
I rarely see them in cars, especially if the carpet's been changed.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 PM
shrekviper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I e-mailed Ernie at Willcox and he clarified the different carpets. Here's what he said.

"The 1968, 1969 and 1970 cars did not have the relief cut in the rear T section like the 1971-1975 cars did. The hinge arm will hit the flap on these cars. This design was not changed until the production of the 1971 cars in which a relief was added so that the hinge arm will clear the carpet set."

Scott
Old 05-04-2011, 12:57 AM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Glad I came across this post as I have just purchased a new set of carpets for my 69 vert. What a bitch of a job to remove all the old contact from the body work that was used to hold the old carpet in place.

Mark
Old 05-04-2011, 06:29 AM
JMS71VETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet

Originally Posted by M A Fry
Glad I came across this post as I have just purchased a new set of carpets for my 69 vert. What a bitch of a job to remove all the old contact from the body work that was used to hold the old carpet in place.

Mark
This post sounds like the perfect business opportunity for someone to step in/step up and build the correct items needed by us Corvette owners.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

My 82 rear compartment carpet was so bad They had to send me a special order without the cut out for the compartments. I was able to get a perfect fit! I will give them credit, they worked with me very well and it did take some time but they delivered!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi jms,
I certainly agree.
I'm afraid that although there's a market for reproduction parts that are 'right on', there were SO many variations from year to year, and even with-in a model year, that producing and stocking/distributing the parts, would drive the price higher than many people would be willing to pay.
What I find now is that when there are more than one manufacturer of a part often each part has different right and wrong details.
In my case, for instance, besides the shape of that tab, I'd also like the jute padding to be the same color as the original, the coating on the back side of the carpet to match the original, and the heel and dimmer pad have the same detail as the originals. Different carpet mfgs get different details right, but no one gets them all right.
I don't think I'll ever see all those changes because there are very few restorers to whom that amount of detail matters.
I think people make the best choices they can with-in their budget.
So....?
Regards,
Alan

Quick Reply: Carpet from wilcox... does anyone have the same problem i have?