C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to remove steering valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 04:08 PM
gonzo14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveG75
Yeah, it is a little tight in there. There is one sweet spot where there is enough room to get the separator on. (Remember to put the castle nut on backwards to protect the threads/locate the separator). Then I had to use an open end wrench to turn the separator. Now I use a ratchetting box wrench. There is no room for conventional ratchet/socket combo.

If you can find a lever type separator, they work a little easier.

Thanks Steve!!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 AM
gonzo14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,

I'm reporting back like I promised, and all of your ideas motivated or helped me in getting that sucker off. No damage done, and now both control valve and steering box are OUT OF THE CAR!! It was really easy getting them out, once I had the pitman arm removed from the valve. Even though the pitman arm shows up on the steering box in the pics below, it was easy to get off once the box was out of the car. Look at the series of pics below:

This one is with the valve now removed!!!

This one shows the valve and the box out of the car:

Once again, thanks to all of you that responded and helped me out with this ordeal. You all are the greatest!! And if any of you ever make it to the Des Moines area, look me up!!

Gonzo!!

Last edited by gonzo14; 04-22-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Trying to remove steering valve