C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EdelBrock Carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:45 PM
kjroyal88
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EdelBrock Carb

I was told by a local Mechanic that a Edelbrock Reconditioned #14054 Performer Series Carburetor 600 cfm, Manual Choke, with EnduraShine finish was too much Carburation for the stock L48 motor that i have. I am not sure if he is correct. Just wanted to get some input,

Also i have a 1701 Edelbrock intake manifold i just bought will this combination hurt the car or improve it?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 PM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Default EdelBrock

I have the 1405 carb on a 2701 intake manifold on my 71 (270 hp)and it runs well . I also have a few other mods , double hump heads, headers and a cam , but I think the carb matches pretty well with the l48 .
Old 04-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No that carb is not too big. Remember the car when it rolled off the assembly line came with a Q-jet carb that flowed 750cfm. These edel carbs are easy to tune but are not built for performance. I have a 1406 edel carb atop my engine along with the 2101 edel intake. I'm pulling them off when I swap out my cam when I get the opportunity and replace with a weiand stealth intake and a mighty demon 750 cfm carb.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 PM
kjroyal88
6th Gear

Thanks guys, I just recently bought the vette with the deployment money this year, looking forward to restore it with a few Mods. I am assuming the mechanic that i took it too did not really know about carbs or he was so biased with Holley Carbs haha. But anyway I have a long day this weekend figuring out how to put the intake and carb on.

Any suggestions about if i should really add to the motor i have now, or go ahead a swap with a turn-key from engine factory or so.

Also After the mechanic told me the carb wouldnt work he rebuilt the Qjet, but i notice when i give it alot of throttle my secoundaries are not opening up. just curious.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

The Quadrajet will be a much better carb. Its fuel economy and performance both exceed that of the AFB design. I would tell your mechanic that you are having a problem with the carb he rebuilt.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 PM
captl27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see below

Last edited by captl27; 04-12-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:38 PM
captl27
Instructor

The 600 is a good base, you can change just about everything jets, metering rods, and metering rod springs. If that is what you have go with it. Quadrajets work well but if you already have a edelbrock go with it. I have 2 of them on my 406 and have fun fooling with them.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kjroyal88
Thanks guys, I just recently bought the vette with the deployment money this year, looking forward to restore it with a few Mods. I am assuming the mechanic that i took it too did not really know about carbs or he was so biased with Holley Carbs haha. But anyway I have a long day this weekend figuring out how to put the intake and carb on.

Any suggestions about if i should really add to the motor i have now, or go ahead a swap with a turn-key from engine factory or so.

Also After the mechanic told me the carb wouldnt work he rebuilt the Qjet, but i notice when i give it alot of throttle my secoundaries are not opening up. just curious.

So, kjr, how's life out there in Alamogordo? I was with the 8th FS. Is Morris Machine Shop still there? He was pretty good with carbs. His ex-wife had an L-82 Vette, and many others before that. After she divorced Morris, she married my Sgt. Take care, thanks for your service.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The q jet is the better of the two. However, the q-jet is a misunderstood carb and there are a few here on this forum who can rebuild a q-jet properly. I would find someone who can rebuild them or read up on them and rebuild it yourself. In the meantime keep the edel on until you can have the q-jet rebuilt. As for a crate motor vs adding on to the motor is what your goals are for the car. Most start with a good flowing set of heads, cam, and headers. Also depends on your budget and mechanical ability should you choose to do the work yourself.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:39 PM
kjroyal88
6th Gear

My Qjet was currently rebuilt. But I cannot tell if my secondaries are working. I believe it opens up by Vacuum. But when i throttle it while car is on. The secondaries do not open up. Does it have to be carry the weight of the car? I notice im not getting alot of horsepower and it drags when i punch it, it kinda hesitates. Im not sure.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Q-jets have mechanical secondaries. You might need to adjust the secondary air flap spring. Does it bog when you floor it and then recover, or does it just feel underpowered?

Last edited by rcread; 04-13-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 PM
WTFizzit
Intermediate

Probably a worthwhile effort would be to first make sure your QJet is the correct one for your application-----can't assume it's not a replacement (and pray that it's not a "remanufactured" one!) What year is your car, and is it manual, or automatic trans? Do you know where the numbers are on the QJ, and would you be able to tell whether it is original or replacement? Does it still have the goldish-greenish dichromate finish on the body?

The Quadrajet secondaries are operated by mechanical linkage. The plate you see at the top of the secondaries is a "air valve" that is calibrated to open according to demand. Not quite as obvious to observe function as it is with a typical Holley.

Lots of us GM guys are finding out that the QJ is a really good carb for almost all applications when set up properly. The main problems with them now are that they and their parts are no longer being made, and the carbs that you find these days are most likely "Bubba'd" up.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:41 PM
kjroyal88
6th Gear

When i floor it it bogs but catches itself i believe.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:45 PM
kjroyal88
6th Gear

I cant quite tell what the Part number of the Q jet is. I have a 1974 L48 Vette, 3 Speed Auto Transmission. I need to make sure that all the parts are on the carb. There is a linkage connected from the hinge where the flaps are to wear the vacuum plunger is. But i cant tell how in the hell that linkage is supposed to open the flap?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 AM
WTFizzit
Intermediate

OK, it's time. Let the learning begin.

Your QJ should be either a 7044506 (Calif.) or 7044206 (49 state)
The numbers can be found stamped on the driver side body at the secondary, reading vertically

I don't think you are quite ready for the Lars experience, but here is some good primer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrajet
http://www.cliffshighperformance.com...history_1.html

If you end up fooling with QJs the Ruggles book is well worth having

The secondary air valve is controlled by magic, not linkage
Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM
WTFizzit
Intermediate

kj--

Just an afterthought "heads up"

If you are going to swap the Edel carb in and the QJet out here are some issues to anticipate:
-----The carb fuel inlets are located differently so you will have to fab a new fuel line
-----The new fuel line will have to include a filter because the Edel carb doesn't have one built in like the QJet does
-----If you have the original air cleaner it won't sit on the Edel carb without a spacer, I think 3/4" will do it
-----Possible throttle linkage bracket mounting complications

Here's a link to a magazine "how to" article about the manifold swap that may be of some help if you are not familiar with the procedure:
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/ho...759/index.html

It's a good idea to use thread sealant on the intake manifold bolts to prevent oil seeping up and out onto the manifold.
Take your time and get it right. Intake leaks are no fun.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:18 PM
kjroyal88
6th Gear

When i bought the carb, does the carb come with all the linkage that it needs to function. If not what parts do i need to be able to use the 1405 Edelbrock carb.

Get notified of new replies

To EdelBrock Carb

Quick Reply: EdelBrock Carb