C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Hot Water shut off

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 PM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Manual Hot Water shut off

Gents, I remember doing this in my 79 a few years back and want to do it to my current '82. Question is I cant remember if I used a 1/2 inch valve and some nipples or a 3/8 valve and nipples? hate to have to buy both sets just to return one. Anyone do this recently and remember what size they used? After this going to do the C4 fan and spacer thing, see if I can get my A/C cold as I want it.
Thx Cory
Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

1/2" would work best. I think the 3/8" nipples would be hard to find.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 PM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 79, I used a 5/8" for the shut off valve. Harbor freight. I have also used a 1/2 but really had to squeeze the hose down.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 AM
mooneyd
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One hose is 5/8" and the other hose is 3/4". Napa sells valves in both sizes.
Dave
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Got mine from Home depot , $13 , and it's been on there 3 yrs no problems at all.Ron
Old 04-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm with Ron. Plumbing and garden section at Home Depot.

Last edited by Paul L; 04-13-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:40 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

good to see you are still at it.....mine was 1/2" NPT from Home Depot but the napa valves are pretty nice looking
Old 04-12-2011, 01:06 PM
ESU
Drifting

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
good to see you are still at it.....mine was 1/2" NPT from Home Depot but the napa valves are pretty nice looking

Hey Bob,,,
thats the problem when you buy a low mileage all original, theres nothing for me to do lol except check the air in the tires and make up stuff to do. Next week will be the C4 blower fan. I dont have a napa dealer near me so I guess its home depot. I guess its going to be a 3/4 ball valve with 2 short 3/4 x shoulder galvanized nipples and some hose clamps.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:14 PM
ESU
Drifting

Anyone have the NAPA part number? My computer at work doesnt let me access certain sites, napa being one of them.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:29 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

one nipple threaded on both ends cut in half...

Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 76

I just did mine from Home depot in 5/8" all brass with male pieces on either side. I removed the lever that runs the ball valve and shortened it and then flattened it with my vice and installed it with hose clamps...works great.

Lance...it's the little brass to the upper left of the engine in the photo
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2011, 04:25 PM
ESU
Drifting

Originally Posted by LancePearson
I just did mine from Home depot in 5/8" all brass with male pieces on either side. I removed the lever that runs the ball valve and shortened it and then flattened it with my vice and installed it with hose clamps...works great.

Lance...it's the little brass to the upper left of the engine in the photo
In plumbing fixtures and pipe I have never heard of 5/8's, its 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1 inch.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Hardway
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

This may sound like a dumb question but, which hose do you install the shut off valve in to or how do you identify the correct one? I know the idea is to keep coolant from going in to the heater core and keep the cabin cooler in the summer time.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Default maybe

Originally Posted by ESU
In plumbing fixtures and pipe I have never heard of 5/8's, its 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1 inch.
maybe the valve is 3/4 and the hose was 5/8". Can't remember for sure. Either worked. What I wanted was a small one from Napa I'd seen in other people's photos but they had none so I went to the Home Depot hardware store across the street and all I saw were standard ball valves where you had to buy small pieces of pipe for each side then I found this all brass one with about 1" or so brass on each side built in. Bought some hose clamps, went home to a cool engine and cut out about an inch of hose and put clamps on, inserted and then rolled it over so when turned to let the water flow the shortened lever didn't interfere with hood. I find the hardware stores have less choices all the time...miles of stock but not the variety they once had, btw.

The input to the heater core is the top most hose from your water pump on a 76. Some put a valve on the bottom return hose to but it's not really necessary as you get 90% or more benefit from the input stopping in my view and the way it's worked out.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:06 PM
ESU
Drifting

Originally Posted by LancePearson
maybe the valve is 3/4 and the hose was 5/8". Can't remember for sure. Either worked. What I wanted was a small one from Napa I'd seen in other people's photos but they had none so I went to the Home Depot hardware store across the street and all I saw were standard ball valves where you had to buy small pieces of pipe for each side then I found this all brass one with about 1" or so brass on each side built in. Bought some hose clamps, went home to a cool engine and cut out about an inch of hose and put clamps on, inserted and then rolled it over so when turned to let the water flow the shortened lever didn't interfere with hood. I find the hardware stores have less choices all the time...miles of stock but not the variety they once had, btw.

The input to the heater core is the top most hose from your water pump on a 76. Some put a valve on the bottom return hose to but it's not really necessary as you get 90% or more benefit from the input stopping in my view and the way it's worked out.
Yep, hose is 5/8ths ,valve 3/4s. Thatll be this weekends project.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:16 PM
ESU
Drifting

OK,, just did this mod,, DO NOT BUY 3/4 INCH VALVE AND FITTINGS, THE CORRECT SIZE IS 1/2 IN . I did the larger of the 2 hoses and there was no way 3/4 was even going to be close,,,, 1/2 in is the way to go.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Gentleman: Buy a 3/4" & 1" Pex water, 1/4 turn ball valves. Use Stainless Steel heater hose clamps to secure them. They are made for the new Pex water systems, they will handle the hot water in your systems, & fit the hoses without any adaptions. They make real neat shut offs. Westlake Hardware stores handle them as well as any plumbing supply.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual Hot Water shut off

Old 04-17-2011, 09:21 PM
ESU
Drifting

Originally Posted by doctorgene
Gentleman: Buy a 3/4" & 1" Pex water, 1/4 turn ball valves. Use Stainless Steel heater hose clamps to secure them. They are made for the new Pex water systems, they will handle the hot water in your systems, & fit the hoses without any adaptions. They make real neat shut offs. Westlake Hardware stores handle them as well as any plumbing supply.
Dam I was in the pex aisle today buying thr 3/4 stuff.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Default PEX Ball Valve, Full Port, 1/4" turn

this is the pex valve I used from home depot. I believe it's 3/4" and my hose was large enough to fit over each side with hose clamps on it but I don't remember specifically, just that it's on and in good shape. I first took the lever off, flattened it in a vice and shortened it to 1 1/2" to make the whole thing smaller then reassembled the handle to the valve and installed. removed about 1" of hose to allow for the valve and put a couple pieces of hose on each side in case something rubbed then cable tied them in place as chafe potential pieces where there was contact with other engine parts..a/c. All brass...works great.

Since plumbing can be a little "dry" as a subject I put a concentration test in as well. that's the blue photo.

Lance
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2011, 09:06 AM
ESU
Drifting

Like an idiot after laying out my 3/4 ball valve and nipples I knew the dam thing wasnt gonna fit but I cut the hose anyway . Thankfully I had a 1/2 inch gate valve in my plumbing bin with some 1/2 in nipples and was able to get it done. I love the look of that pex valve, thats exactly the item for this job. I will hit home depot again this weekend and pick that bad boy up. Nice dress that yound lady has on! Reminds me of the bumperettes on my old mans 54 Caddy,,,,

Last edited by ESU; 04-27-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual Hot Water shut off