C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my pistons ok?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:01 PM
no4n4me
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my pistons ok?

Hello guys!

Well I finally got my engine after 5 long months of waiting and now I am a bit concerned. I need opinions.

The picture shows one of the pistons at the top of it's stroke. Along the area where the red dots are it just sticks out of the hole. It looks worse in the picture then it really is. At the opposite side of the dots it is just in the hole.

The engine builder said to use a gasket with a compressed thickness of .039.

Does this look and sound right?

Thank you, Marty

Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

You need t measure how far they stick out. Typically you'd want a quench around 0.040-0.050, so you will need a thicker gasket to get that. But many have gotten away with a tighter quench so if they don't stick out very much you could be OK. Be sure to check valve clearance.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

A quick way to measure this (if you don't have a depth mic) is to take a straight edge and place it along the same line as the pin. Using a feeler gauge, measure how much above, or below the piston is relative to the block. They can be out of the hole about 0.010" before you have to worry. If they are, you can buy thicker head gaskets.

Another thing to check is the clearance between the piston and the cylinder wall itsself. If you have your pistons supplier's installation sheet, it will be listed there.

Last edited by Ben Lurkin; 04-04-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,895 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

It's OK. You can measure the high side and then push down on the piston to rock it back down and split the difference. But the measurement in alignment with the wristpin is what you need.

JIM
Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
It's OK. You can measure the high side and then push down on the piston to rock it back down and split the difference. But the measurement in alignment with the wristpin is what you need.

JIM
or measure it at the pin centerline. I wouldn't worry too much, you can get head gaskets up to .060 but its up to you to pull the play doe out and check. I'm usually comfortable with .030 clearance on a 6000rpm engine
Old 04-05-2011, 11:19 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

The looser the piston-to-wall clearance, the greater the piston rock. If the piston is too loose, it might not be ok with a .039" gasket, so you really need to quantify the piston deck height. As for quench, I am very happy with .035".
Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by no4n4me
Hello guys!

Well I finally got my engine after 5 long months of waiting and now I am a bit concerned. I need opinions.

The picture shows one of the pistons at the top of it's stroke. Along the area where the red dots are it just sticks out of the hole. It looks worse in the picture then it really is. At the opposite side of the dots it is just in the hole.

The engine builder said to use a gasket with a compressed thickness of .039

Does this look and sound right?

Thank you, Marty

Piston rock, push down on the high side of the piston and the other side will come up. Best to get an accurate measurement on the piston in the middle above the pin. But I think you will find out the block has be 0 decked and your mechanic is right with .039" gasket. But I do agree with checking how much piston rock (piston to wall clearance) you have, too much is not good and piston to head clearance etc

*I put this on all my posts: Please post back to those who helped you, the final outcome of your initial post

Last edited by MotorHead; 04-05-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 PM
no4n4me
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all very much. I did a much closer check and pushed the high side down, it sure never moved much but your right. It is a 0 deck.

When I checked it at the wristpin it was right there. Gawd I feel good now.

I have AFR heads. Am I correct in choosing a copper ring head gasket?

When I check with the clay method, do I set the head gasket on, or without?

Once again thanks, Marty
Old 04-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by larrywalk
The looser the piston-to-wall clearance, the greater the piston rock. If the piston is too loose, it might not be ok with a .039" gasket, so you really need to quantify the piston deck height. As for quench, I am very happy with .035".
I agree for a steel connecting rod motor I shoot for a minimum of 0.035" piston to combustion chamber clearance.

Get notified of new replies

To Are my pistons ok?

Quick Reply: Are my pistons ok?