C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 rear carpet @ the cargo cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 PM
blctalon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 78 rear carpet @ the cargo cover

My interior has been slowly going back together over the last 3 years or so. In between the distractions in life I tend to lose interest in my car then come back to it.

With that said, I have an interior kit from Willcox I purchased whenever I started doing this a couple years ago. Everything is down except the door panels and rear carpet. I'm having hell finding the right size well nuts that hold the cargo cover bracket on. I have an idea that might work for those well nuts, unless I find the right ones, but in the meantime I can't install the cover bracket cause I'm unsure of the carpet install in this area.

Question, is the plastic lip stitched to the back of the rear carpet supposed to pull up and slip over the top of the bracket groove? This seems logical but when I pull the carpet up and try to do this it doesn't sit flat in the flooring. What do I do if this happens? Seems it should fit but it's not quite long enough. Am I thinking about this right?

Anyone have the right spec for the well nuts or a place to buy the correct size? Home depot and specialty bolt shop here don't have the right size. They're either too long or the lip is too small and they fall through the hole and I pick them up off the ground.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If my memory serves me correctly, the nuts were the same as used on the luggage rack for older cars... I'm checking that right now.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=26971

Once the sunshade is installed, the bound edge of it hooks on to the sunshade edge bracket.

Willcox.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:52 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Ok.. yep.. I'm correct. GM p/n 342271 was the well nut for 1968-1977 luggage racks and also the nut for the rear sunshade on 1978-1982 cars

I'm sorry, I don't remember the thread size.. still looking to see if I have that info. Seems like it was 1/4-20 but won't swear to it.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 PM
blctalon
Racer

Hmm, from the picture those appear to be very similar in size to the well nuts I picked up from the depot. The holes in the fiberglass are .5" and the O.D. of the head on my well nuts are .5", so they slip through with any attempt of getting the bolts in. Do the ones you linked have a larger head?

I figured the carpet went up there and hooked on, but it just didn't look like it wanted to reach and fit properly. I'll try it again once I get the sunshade cover on.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 PM
blctalon
Racer

I sitll have the 5 bolts and washers, but yes, that's the correct size. What I need to know if the O.D. of the rubber "head" of the well nut is larger than .5 inches. If it's not, then that's the same things I have and they fall through the holes in the fiberglass and end up on the ground. I think the O.D. of the "head" part of the rubber needs to be larger so they don't fall through.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:47 PM
blctalon
Racer

I was able to get the smaller well nuts I bought from home depot to work. When I went to the local specialty bolt store they gave me 5 washers that fit really snug around the body of the well nuts. I was able to put these in the holes then and tighten each one down by first getting the 1/4-20 bolt started then slightly pulling out of the sunshade bracket. This let the rubber expand and take grip. They are called "expansion nuts" at home depot.

I am now able to pull the carpet up to the top of the bracket and push the securing edge down. When I do this there is a pocket made between the perpendicular angle formed at the floor and the back of the cargo area. It seems the carpet is too short and won't sit right in that space. Any help please?

I'm uploading a video from my phone and will post the link when it's done.

http://youtu.be/qrGhntUE218

Last edited by blctalon; 04-07-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 rear carpet @ the cargo cover

Quick Reply: 78 rear carpet @ the cargo cover