C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

454 power steering with AC

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 AM
jwkingdc
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 power steering with AC

Do I have to pull the pulley on the PS pump to install the belts? I cannot get them on. They are the correct belts!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jwkingdc
Do I have to pull the pulley on the PS pump to install the belts? I cannot get them on. They are the correct belts!
No. I don't remember ever having a problem with them and the pulley won't come off while it's on the car anyway. The ps belt runs the water pump as well. The alternator is powered by a second belt from the PS pump. Methinks you don't have the right belt, or perhaps pulleys.

Last edited by Ben Lurkin; 03-12-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:41 PM
68-427Rich
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Just get a longer belt.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:19 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you have the stock belt/pulley setup on the engine, you do not have to remove any pulleys to install the P/S pump belt. Actually, there should be 2 belts on the [double] P/S pump pulley. The rear pulley groove is for the belt that engages the crankshaft pulley [front groove], the water pump pulley [middle groove] and the P/S pump [rear groove]. The front groove should be for the drive belt to the alternator. That pulley/belt arrangement is really a "dilly" of a setup!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:23 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I just went through this last weekend myself. Normally you don't have to remove the pulley to get the belts on but.....if your belt is a little shorter, you may have to. I run a thicker .5" wide belt and it is just a TAD short....just enough that I can get it on without either removing the PS pulley or removing the water pump pulley, putting the belts on it, then forcing the WP pulley back into place. The several times I have done this, the WP pulley was easier to get back on while stretching the belts into place because the shaft of the water pump helps center it....it just pops into place. Not to mention not having to get an impact up in there to zap on the big pulley nut like the PS pump has.

Running a short PS belt gives you plenty of adjustment if you had a stretching belt or slipping belt issue....which I have. If I go to the next 1/2" longer belt, i don't have enough adjustment left over after the belt stretches in...

Get notified of new replies

To 454 power steering with AC

Quick Reply: 454 power steering with AC