C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump gasket frustration

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:39 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Fuel pump gasket frustration

The fuel pump on my 79 was leaking, so I bought a new one. When I took the old one off, I discovered that the gasket had been glued into place with gasket sealant. I have scraped with a putty knife and used every curse word I know, but nothing seems to get the old gasket off. So I have two questions.

First, is there anything I can use to get the old gasket and sealant off other than more elbow grease and desperation? Second, is it necesary to use gasket sealant for that? It doesn't seem like a high oil pressure application and I generally don't like using sealants unless it's advised. The instructions for the new pump didn't call for sealant. Did they come from the factory with sealant? I thought about removing the mounting plate to the block so I could get better access to the gasket, but the gasket on the mounting plate has sealant on it too. As always, I'm grateful for any information, advice, and wisdom the forum members have to offer. Thanks.

MajD
Old 03-06-2011, 04:10 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The plate on the engine block that mates with the fuel pump is just a piece of flat steel. Once you remove that, you can sand it and clean it before you replace it.
There are two ways to hold back the fuel pump pushrod when you replace the pump. You can put some heavy grease on the pushrod to hold it in place before you put it back in the block. Or you can temporarily insert a piece of threaded rod or a long threaded bolt into the front of the block, just in front of the pushrod. You can finger tighten it as a setscrew to hold back the pushrod. When you replace the origional short bolt, after the fuel pump is bolted in, put a little bit of pipe thread sealant on the threads, so that it will not leak oil.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:19 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
The plate on the engine block that mates with the fuel pump is just a piece of flat steel. Once you remove that, you can sand it and clean it before you replace it.
There are two ways to hold back the fuel pump pushrod when you replace the pump. You can put some heavy grease on the pushrod to hold it in place before you put it back in the block. Or you can temporarily insert a piece of threaded rod or a long threaded bolt into the front of the block, just in front of the pushrod. You can finger tighten it as a setscrew to hold back the pushrod. When you replace the origional short bolt, after the fuel pump is bolted in, put a little bit of pipe thread sealant on the threads, so that it will not leak oil.
I don't think I want to take the plate off since I am concerned about removing any gasket sealant the sticks to the block. As you probably know, it's not easy getting your hands into that area. However, I didn't think of sand paper for removing the old gasket and sealant material. Have you had success with sand paper? I'm a little concerned about scratching the plate and possibly causing a situation where leaks could occur. Also, thanks for the info on the push rod.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

You can buy gasket remover at any auto parts store. It helps, but you'll still need the scraper.

Gary
Old 03-06-2011, 07:09 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

a small, very sharp knife , or a one sided razor blade usually works for me-but never did one in that area. Why the heck anyone used sealant there is beyond me. Oil pressure there is minimal.......
Old 03-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sharpen your scraper, jack the car up and slide under car !
Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil Zell
Sharpen your scraper, jack the car up and slide under car !
No, pull the r/f tire.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Jack Wood
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ninety-degree die grinder with a Scotch Brite pad will remove any gasket or glue. It will also remove metal if you aren't careful. Especially on aluminum.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:52 PM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

The gasket is probaly not leaking, it's probably the fuel pump it self, or the threaded hole where the "install' bolt goes is missing. When driving, air from the fan will really cause this hole to loose oil quickly, it won't be obvious when the car is just idling. You may want to take a closer look at the source of the leak.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Because of the limited space in that area, I think the razor blade and scraper is going to be the best method. I dont think there is enough room to get other tools in that area, and still be able to move around to where you need to scrape.

Jack the car up, use good jackstands for support, and continue scraping.

kdf
Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

razor blade and laquer thinner on a rag...
Old 03-08-2011, 08:35 PM
MyRed69
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for a turnkey crate motor...
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Takes 15 minutes, and that includes putting the car on jack stands. Use gasket remover and a small putty knife....
Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Orleans1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of a putty knife, try a wood chisel They come in various widths and are already sharpened. Old ones work best, not so sharp.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pump gasket frustration

Quick Reply: Fuel pump gasket frustration