C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Blinker/Flasher issue- Willcox?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 82 Blinker/Flasher issue- Willcox?

Hi,
Willcox or anybody,

I recently modded my tail lights/brake lights/turn signal to a 4 light set up vs the original 2. I replaced my reverse lights with another set of factory tail lights. Everything looks great. I am happy with it. The brake lights work, the tail lights work, and even the hazards flash/blink normal. But when I engage the right or left turn signal, they basically pulse very fast almost as if they are not really blinking or noticeable. I can also tell by my dash turn signal indicators as they are pulsing as well. I am guessing the two added lights on the same circuit/fuse might be too much for the turn signal actuator/fuse. Electrical is my not my best area.
I have added two pics of the fuse panel from my cars owners manual. the areas circled in red - on the fuse panel at the top left corner of the fuse panel has some device labeled flasher. The bottom right corner also has a slightly different looking device that is also labeled wagner flasher. I am guessing one of these is for the hazards and the other for the turn signals. Maybe or maybe not. The fuse panel chart in the other pic identifies turn signal as a 20 amp fuse.

Now on the 68 model they had 4 tail light/brake light set up and obviously from 84 on they did as well. Would it be as easy as installing some dual/ 4 light flasher device to correct this problem from one of these years or a bigger fuse...
Looking for guidance on this one.

Thanks,

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-05-2011, 05:37 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

I would think check grounds and make sure bulbs are seated correctly in sockets, if one is not making proper connection, they blink quickly
Old 03-05-2011, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You are on the right track. Because you adding two extra lights onto this circuit. It is NOT a fuse issue. But a flasher issue. It is the same as If you had a truck...and hitched a trailer to it. Your lights will flash faster... UNLESS you change the flasher to keep the lights operating in the same cadence as factory. Seeing how you stated that your hazards are working correctly ( flashing as like they did before). Take out your flashers...and see if the numbers on them are different. If they are...buy one that matches the hazard flasher. Or as a test...see if by simply switching these flashers...your turn signals flash correctly. It is a flasher issue...and I doubt that you will have an issue with your fuse blowing due to these added lights being on the circuit now. IF you have an issue with the fuse blowing...and do not feel comfortable with increasing the rating on the fuse...you might look into installing LED lights...which will work fine and take less current to operate that normal 1157 light bulbs.

"DUB"
Old 03-05-2011, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by spedaleden
I would think check grounds and make sure bulbs are seated correctly in sockets, if one is not making proper connection, they blink quickly
Grounds are NOT the issue here. Because if it was a ground issue...he would not have the other lights working. And knowing he stated that the hazards worked...which is the same filament of the light bulb as the brake lights and turn signals use ....it is NOT a ground issue. BUT...it can be a ground issue if when he pulls his headlight switch on ( thus making his running lights come on) and them the lights start act up or not work correctly. But he did not state that if the taillights worked correctly WITH the headlight switch ON.

"DUB"
Old 03-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

OK, I can try that. Do they make a LED (1157 bulb) replica? Meaning it looks the same, size and all and fits into the existing socket, but its an LED vs a regular dual filament bulb? Also are the LED lights just as bright as the regular 1157?
I will go take a look at the fuse panel, again, but I thought the two flasher devices I mentioned above, looked physically different. Meaning, I do not know if I can swap them.
I will check.
Thanks for the info thus far.

OK, I checked... and the top left corner flasher device and the bottom right corner flasher device are each different sizes. The bottom being larger. So swapping them out with each other might not work.

Last edited by Rebelrob; 03-05-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:34 PM
ToddG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. Top left is the flasher you want to upgrade. I bought a heavy duty one at NAPA. Works good now but still a little fast but not like before. If i am not mistaken this is the one I bought.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...F12_0131510949
Old 03-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Originally Posted by ToddG
I had the same problem. Top left is the flasher you want to upgrade. I bought a heavy duty one at NAPA. Works good now but still a little fast but not like before. If i am not mistaken this is the one I bought.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...F12_0131510949
Todd, so the the top left device is the culprit. Yes, as of right now they are just pulsing ..., is the best way I can describe. On a sunny day, I doubt you can tell I would have my left/right turn signal on.
My first thought would be, to use the same one that 68 models use since they were set up this way, but I am guessing the fuse panel is completely different 14 year models later... Be curious to know if an 84 model would fit.
Also isn't the hazard flashers, just flash your tail light element and the turn signals flash the brighter brake light element?
I will take a look at the part you referenced. Thank you.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 PM
ToddG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Todd, so the the top left device is the culprit. Yes, as of right now they are just pulsing ..., is the best way I can describe. On a sunny day, I doubt you can tell I would have my left/right turn signal on.
My first thought would be, to use the same one that 68 models use since they were set up this way, but I am guessing the fuse panel is completely different 14 year models later... Be curious to know if an 84 model would fit.
Also isn't the hazard flashers, just flash your tail light element and the turn signals flash the brighter brake light element?
I will take a look at the part you referenced. Thank you.

I see the link I posted did not work.....anyways...at NAPA site just type in flasher....I used the heavy duty (clear round housing) that is for trailer towing...the flasher is good for up to 10 lights...and is louder then normal..but not to loud..cost around 10 bux
c-ya
ToddG
Old 03-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Todd, yes, I was able to see it with the link you shared. Thanks. There are actually two part numbers. Very similar to each other. NF LF12 you sent me, and also NF EL12. When I do a search for 84 model, these parts come up.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 Blinker/Flasher issue- Willcox?

Quick Reply: 82 Blinker/Flasher issue- Willcox?