C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch tumbler doesn't rotate to all positions malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Dano C3
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

For months I've been hanging a hat over my ignition key to hide the fact that the keys have been in it!

Just popped the hood and found that the clip holding the cable to the bracket has come off. I rotated up to 1 oclock position and boom key turns right out!

Just need a new clip and I'm back in business.

Thanks again everyone
Dano
Old 08-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Ely
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genuine1980
Mine is missing all together. Where does it connect to on a manual trans. Pics would be most helpful, so I can see how this get's from trans to the lever.
I have a '78 and mine is missing all together as well. My problem is that I can't get my key to go anti clockwise such that I can turn on the accessories. I can turn it clockwise and stop at the first spot but than the HVAC fan runs and will drain the battery.
Anybody else have this problem?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Higgy76
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try googling the problem and look at other forums. Corvette Action Center had a thread addressing the same issue, likely will find pics too. In the mean time you should be able to rotate the pin/ring on the column to allow the ignition to rotate all the way. Mine would.
Good luck.
Higgy76
Old 10-12-2013, 04:40 AM
Danieljta
6th Gear

I am having similar problems with my 1980 vette. (One of many)
The ignition rotates clockwise and starts the car fine. But doesn't want to rotate counter clockwise into the Stop or lock position, unless I wiggle the telescopic lever just behind the ignition switch. It also makes a pop sound when switching out from Lock, into Run.

Just bought the car a month ago, and am slowly fixing and discovering more problems as I go.
Any help, or information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Danieljta; 10-12-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:12 PM
MSGT-R
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Well, wouldn't 'cha know that I had the same problem just the other weekend when resurrecting my project car that has been "sitting". Thanks for saving me the hassle of removing the lock!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:24 AM
Roma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

I have the same issue and just want to know: Is there a difference between the cable for Automatic and 4 Speed ?

Thanks
Frank
Old 11-10-2013, 12:14 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Roma
I have the same issue and just want to know: Is there a difference between the cable for Automatic and 4 Speed ?

Thanks
Frank
I couldn't tell you, but the vendor sites list them separately, so I'd assume there's a difference. Maybe the length differs?
Old 11-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Roma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

In around 3 weeks I can tell, because I ordered the wrong one (if there is a difference)
Old 02-09-2014, 05:35 AM
Rasta420
Cruising

Default Thanks!

sorry for reviving an old thread, but....

I had the same issue, key would not rotate to lock position and allow removal. Found this thread, went out and looked at car and sure enough my cable is bunched up at the end like in the photo, this fix was so easy and so right in time that it caused me to sign up for this forum and write a post of ....

Thank You!

Rasta420
Old 03-03-2014, 02:59 PM
bruins
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
We should make this into a "sticky" so it can be easily referenced in the future. This problem with 1969 through 1976 C3s gets written up very frequently.

Most owners are not familiar with the General Motors Steering Column/Transmission Shift Interlock System. It usually comes as a surprise that there is a lower lever on the steering column that is connected to the transmission and interconnected to the ignition lock cylinder and key.

Excellent pictures and explanation.

Jim Shea
What system, if any, was used on a 77 through 82 C3?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Bromleys Corvettes
Advanced

Great info I have had a few customers call me from a parking lot with this problem. I have been able to talk them through un hooking the cable on top so they could get there key out. A lot of people dont no about this. They should join this site and start reading and learning all kinds of good stuff
Old 07-21-2014, 10:52 PM
lockwood
5th Gear

Interesting, my "75" manual trans ignition works fine except I can't turn to accessory. I will be looking at this tomorrow. I am assuming that the trans does not have to be in reverse to turn to accessory.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:33 AM
1970coupe herder
5th Gear

Default Reverse safety cable from transmission to lower steering column

I read with interest in regarding this problem. My key also was not able to be removed from the ignition switch. So I ordered a new cable as mine was bent on the transmission end. New cable installed, key can be removed from ignition all is well, or so I thought. After many months of restoring our 1970 Coupe, the car was ready to test drive. Put on about 60 miles and again the key will not remove from the ignition. After checking the "new cable" the transmission end once again is bent into a somewhat "U" shape. So what could be the problem? Does the lever on the bottom of the steering column need to be cleaned and lubed up for the cable to move it back and forth? Or is it time to just remove it all together and not have it at all?
Have a manual transmission on the 350/350. Anyone have info that will help/

Thanks
Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18

Great explanation along with crystal images. You should be teaching if you aren't already. Thanks
Old 11-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Calo69
Great explanation along with crystal images. You should be teaching if you aren't already. Thanks
I have a similar problem and I have been reading about the subject...But my problem is similar but its on my 73 El Camino...454, T'400 and I cannot remove the key or turn counterclockwise to remove it. I was ready to remove the steering wheel and all the problems that would cause, tilt wheel, center console and horn.....

I looked under the master cylinder but didn't see any lever at 3 or 1....are they different or what?.....Vette to the Camino
Old 11-22-2014, 10:02 PM
saved1976
Intermediate

Awsome post! I will try this fix tomorrow on my 71 4 speed. Thanks...
Old 03-04-2015, 01:13 PM
RETIRE15
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default the forum is super

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
Great info.
has helped me out numerous times

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition switch tumbler doesn't rotate to all positions malfunction

Old 04-09-2015, 09:58 AM
pwhughes3
1st Gear

Default ignition problem, key will not turn at all

Hi guys, I've been prepping to get my 76 stingray running again but when I went to try to crank it the key will not turn from "off/off-lock" position (IN PARK)...is it possible the same trans lever on steering column could also prevent a key from turning (if it's in wrong position)? Or any other possibilities causing this issue..

Thanks
Old 07-05-2015, 03:28 PM
joepcad
Intermediate

Default Key stuck no more

My key has been stuck for about a year while I pulled the interior out to put in insulation. thought it was something I did to the shift cable while it was apart. a locksmith said it was probably the switch. so I put the interior back in and then had a switch put in. You know it didn't fix it. I thought the console was going to have to come back out. I found this post and in less than ten minutes my key was in my hand. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:59 PM
stuartc53
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Purchased a '75 with the same problem. Key would not go to lock position and could not be removed. I will look tomorrow for the cable. Hope your solution works for me

Thanks guys for sharing

Quick Reply: Ignition switch tumbler doesn't rotate to all positions malfunction