C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:33 AM
my75baby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header gasket question

Hello all, I am purchasing header gaskets for a SBC 400, I have found 2 different types, one set is all connected so the gasket for each side is one piece, the other set consists of 3 pieces for each side, so there is a separate gasket for each exhaust outlet, both sets are metal not material. My question is, which is better? or does it matter?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

It really doesnt matter except that the one piece can be easier to install. If the one piece does'nt have the bottom of the outside bolt holes cut out they can be cut, so that the header can be set in place and the two outside bolts started. Then gasket can be slipped into place. If your using the individual ones I like the uncut bolt holes. Place the bolts in headers on one end, and install gasket on other end and remove bolts and install each gasket as You go.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:58 PM
my75baby
Instructor

thanks Tim, I wound up getting the one piece and its the material kind (I wanted the metal by my parts store didnt have the round port in stock), I installed them already and car is quiet and runs really nice, I have tightened them once already when hot and after cooled down.. I will do the same again tomorrow. Hopefully they last. The car ran a little rough before, now I can put a full glass of water on the air cleaner and not spill a drop.. really runs smooth.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by my75baby
now I can put a full glass of water on the air cleaner and not spill a drop.. really runs smooth.
A little more cam will fix that for you.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:58 PM
my75baby
Instructor

True,,,LOL however I built a driver not a racer, car has a SBC 400 and I put in a stock cam, has a T10 4 speed, headers, no cats, true duel exhaust, no pollution control. Just start up and go, a lot of fun to drive, and car no longer heats up. Runs smooth and car doesnt shake all over when you are sitting in so you can feel the fiberglass separating and pieces starting to loosen and fall off..
Old 03-05-2011, 06:08 PM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its running right the engine lopes but the body dosent shake.Its all part of the fun.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM
my75baby
Instructor

well I have never seen that, if the engine is loping, the car is moving some as well. Not into that anyway, if I want to go fast I will just drive my jag, its supercharged and will walk most vettes with a zero to 60 of 4.6 seconds (stock), and mine isnt

Get notified of new replies

To Header gasket question

Quick Reply: Header gasket question