C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 11:06 PM
shalverson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Replacement

I have a new gas tank on order from Corvette Central. My tank has some pin holes in it. I tryed to patch them but it didn't work. Is it a very big job to replace. I have the spare tire carrier assembly removed so far. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on what to watch for? Do I have to take the tank support off? Will the tank come off without taking the mufflers off? Does anyone recommend replacing any other components while I have the tank off? Sholud the new gas tank from Corvette Central be correct and an exact replacement as they tell me?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-13-2002, 11:46 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Gas Tank Replacement (shalverson)

I don't know how much your tank is like my 81's but it's a fairly easy job to remove, time is all it takes. I had to remove the spare carrier but having sidepipes didn't have to mess with the exhaust, I would assume it would be a good idea to remove to have working space. Most important is get as much gas out of the tank before you try taking it out. Remove all fuel lines. Remove the crossmember tank suport. I took mine out myself using a big floor jack but it was a pain, have help and save yourself the aggrevation. Just be glad you CAN buy a new tank, they don't make them for 81's.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:01 AM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Default Re: Gas Tank Replacement (C3 Shark Tank)

You should probably order new hold-down straps and anti-rattle cushions because the old ones will be shot.

Not a bad time to replace the rubber vent line and fuel lines, and probably remove the sending unit and replace the strainer and sending unit gasket.

You will have to remove the mufflers for sure. The tire carrier and all that stuff is easy.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:49 AM
Astro7
Racer

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I just replaced my gas tank a couple of weeks ago so it's still fresh in my memory. Droping the tire carrier is simple and easy to do. Just a couple of bolts on the back side of it. I did have to drop the exhaust but it wasn't a big deal. On the 82 there's a oval hanger just behind the cat connection and the two 'J' hangers that hold the mufflers up. The two bolts that hold the straps in place was next followed by the support beam itself. If you have a friend help as I did, when we took the support beam loose he supported the tank while lowering it just a bit so I could remove the rubber gas & vapor lines from the top thru the filler opening. Then out if came. I got a bottle of simple green and a roll of paper towels and cleaned the underside good then took a wire wheel on my drill and cleaned & shined the exhaust up good too. I painted the replacement tank and glued a lamanated copy of the build sheet to it before reinstalling it in the car. I cleaned the tire tub up real good while it was out. The reverse process is just a simple and shouldn't take long to complete. A few hours over the weekend was all it took for me. I would take time to check all your electrical wiring while you have the tank out too.

[Modified by Astro7, 5:52 AM 4/14/2002]
Old 04-14-2002, 10:23 AM
shalverson
Intermediate

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. I have a few hours today to start removing the tank. My 71 has the vapor lines on it also. I hope I don't have to take that assembly off before I can remove the tank. I like your idea with the build sheet. I don't think mine is up there anymore. I couldn't feel it and I looked with a small mirror but couldn't see it. Am I going to be able to get the float assembly off without the special tool?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-14-2002, 10:26 AM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make sure you are NOT using an open light source like an electric trouble light when you are under there :nono:
Old 04-14-2002, 10:28 AM
shalverson
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip! Good thing the sun is out today.

Scott
Old 04-14-2002, 10:47 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Gas Tank Replacement (Astro7)

I painted the replacement tank and glued a lamanated copy of the build sheet to it before reinstalling it in the car.
What a great idea! I think I'll do that on mine too. :) ~Juliet
Old 04-14-2002, 11:29 AM
fontking1a
Burning Brakes

Can you take your tank to a radiator shop and have them dip it into one of their tanks to remove the fumes, clean it out and remove corrosion? Then you can ask them to fix the pinholes and then pour in a special solution that will, after sloshing it around, form a "rubberized" interior tank sealer/liner so that the gas won't ever come in contact with the metal again. I had this done to one of my cars...about 10 years ago...and so far it's worked great.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:11 PM
shalverson
Intermediate

I'm not sure. I never knew there was a place like that. Any idea how much this costs verses a new tank? I think it's too late anyway since I have a new tank on order. I will keep this in mind for next time.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-14-2002, 01:26 PM
Astro7
Racer

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
Default Re: Gas Tank Replacement (Juliet)

Juliet,
The original build sheet was too far gone on the original tank but I am lucky in that I have a Bowling Green built shark and was able to get a copy of the build sheet a couple of years ago from the plant. I just had a good clear copy made at the copy shop and they laminated it for me. I put it on the replacement tank (it came from a 80 model and had no sheet on it) just in case I ever part with it I can tell the new owner that it positivily has a clear readable build sheet on the tank.
Old 04-14-2002, 01:53 PM
shalverson
Intermediate

Well I just got the old gas tank out. What a dirty, nasty job! Does anybody know how to take the metering assembly out of my old tank without the special GM tool? By the way, no build sheet attached to my old tank.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-19-2002, 03:35 PM
Dr Z
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just fixed several pin holes in my gas tank during the Easter holidays.... didn't find any eggs underneath the car, though ;-)

Luckily all the pin holes were located where the tank rests on the cross member. I patched the holes with a band aid made of a thin piece of fiberglass mat soaked in a 2-component epoxy glue with metal powder in it (specially made to repair metals, may be machined/tapped/... like real metal once it has hardened). Had the tank supported by a floor jack (after syphoning all the gas out of it).

I plan on cleaning and coating the interior in autumn - now, I just wanted to get back on the road. I will use a kit by POR for that - read a lot of good stuff about it. The kit includes cleaner/degreaser/sealer.

As for removing the tank, the instructions I have read in various places say that the exhaust needs to be "pushed to the side" after loosening its mounts - is that correct???

Regards,

Chris
Old 04-19-2002, 05:05 PM
PyjamaSam
Pro

Location: At the end of 2 big long black marks on #2 Sideroad and Walkers Line.

I just finished removing my gas tank. It had some major pin holes, but ended up being a hugh gash in the plastic innertank.. I am in the process of getting a new one right now. I ended up cutting the 4 bolts that hold the tank support as they were so coroded and rusted that they were never comming out.

As for the sending unit. I just undid the like 400 bolts (more like 10 or 12) off the top of the tank and it just came right out. I have a 78 so I am not sure if there is any difference.

I agree with you on the mess of removing the tank. It was nuts...

I did find my build sheet thought. But it is basically a sheet of really really old really really dirty non readable paper.. :-(

Old 04-19-2002, 05:13 PM
Wardour74
Advanced

I removed the tank in my 74 (no tire carrier) so I didnt have to remove it =).. I have dual exaust on mine, but I didnt have to remove it for installation or removal. I removed the tank only to clean it, and then I decided to replace the top boot, and seals. It wasnt that bad of a job, the tank had about 3 or 4 gallons of fuel in it so it wasnt too hard to handle, the hardest part was actually getting the bolts off the cross member (rusty, and hard to get to the back). Painted it black, and reinstalled it. I just want to know how all the white paint chips got into the gas tank, along with abunch of really nasty goop.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:43 PM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI I have been calling around to radiator shops to get estimates on cleaning and coating my tank. They range from $80-150 (I tried about 7 or 8 shops).
I think I will just do it myself and be sure that it gets done right. I think the kits are $40-50 from Eastwood or POR. With the $ I save, I can buy more engine parts :D
Old 04-19-2002, 10:19 PM
shalverson
Intermediate

Update on my gas tank. I received my new gas tank from Corvette Central on Wednesday. Cost was $199 which included a new gasket for the metering assembly and also a new gasket and screws for the filler neck. I also bought a new strainer and the anti-squeak pads the tank rests on. I'm now in the process of sanding, wire brushing, and cleaning everything. I'm not sure if I could have got the tank out without dropping the exhaust or not. I went ahead and dropped the pipes without trying. Since I was doing this by myself, I just loosened one side of the tank support and supported the tank with a 2x4. It really wasn't very heavy. (shipping weight on new tank is only 21.6 pounds.) Lots of room under there with the tank removed. I'm not sure if I will finish the job this weekend. Weather is only supposed to be mainly in the 40's. Hard to paint in that weather.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Tank Replacement

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Replacement