C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where should i look for rear end *thump* when putting into gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

It seems to be a bad inboard half shaft U joint. Replacing all four next week.

Doug
Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 PM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the clunk every since I put my car back together years ago. Rebuilt engine and trans. New diff, hardened yokes, heim joint camber rods, rear x-member isolator disks. Poly motor, trans, and diff mounts. All new zerkless u-joints. All new ARP or grade 8 fasteners.

I always figured it was a bum u-joint, since I was working with all new parts but speaking to a veteran Vette racer (last night, in fact), he said that his Z-71 Truck has the 'clunk' as well, and it came from the factory that way - tech told him it was the lash between the ring/pinion, and the fix is to reprogram the trans for mushy shifts (which he declined).
First place I looked was at the diff mount, but all was fine. I figured between the extra power the new engine was making, the shift kit, the stiffness from the isolator disks and heim joints was just transferring much more noise than before.

I hear my clunk going from park to either drive, or reverse. Also, whenever I blip the throttle at cruising speed, it will clunk. Don't remember if it clunks when I let off the gas, or not.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 PM
UCVette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree check u joint

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
My money would be on a u-joint.

Quick Reply: Where should i look for rear end *thump* when putting into gear?