C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 rear window

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:55 PM
bcr76
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 rear window

I am new to the forum and appreciate all the info that is available to help get me through this project. I recently purchased a 1976 4-speed stingray. I am in the process of getting everything off for paint. The last thing left is the rear window. I have searched and not able to find much info. I am curious on what I might need to purchase to put the window back in and what is the easiest way to get it out. The previous owner has ran black caulk around the outside so it it hard to tell what I am getting into.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 PM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome to the Forum!
Cant offer advice as never had the need just yet , but rest assured there are many on here that have, good luck and enjoy your ride!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM
RU7376vettes
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

The original material was similar to Windo-weld Ribbon Sealer. After removing the trim frame on the inside, you can then start on the seal between the body and the window. Very slowly use a razor blade or sharpened putty knife to go around and carefully cut through it a little bit at a time. The glass is not real thick so don't put too much force on it. 3M makes a weatherstrip cleaner or since you are going to paint it you can use lacquer thinner to remove all remaing sealer.
To re-install use 5/16" Windo-Weld Ribbon Seal.

Unk
Old 02-15-2011, 11:42 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Another 76 4sp! Congratulations

Another 76 4sp, Congratulations!

Have not done this job yet although my back window leaks, so need the advice above.

Agree, this is the best forum around, super great knowledgeable help here and friendly too!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 AM
bcr76
Navigator

Great thanks for the info. I am going to give it a shot this evening. I assume the window leaked on the previous owner so I might as well fix it right why I have everything apart.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:00 PM
MFToes
Intermediate

Default Should be easy

all you should need are the screws. i replaced my 76 rear window to have a cell phone antenna hole replaced. Start by removing the interior trim around the window, or anything needed to do so and the window mounts will be exposed. All it took was eight screws i think could have been less, and a foam seal between the window and body, with a well placed old seal and four hands it went in fine and no leaks for over a year now.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:21 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

this is your opportunity to put a removable window back there.....if you dont want to do that you can use xlyene from Home Depot paint dept to remove the old caulking adhesive
Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 PM
brando1118
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the removable window!!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same year and took my back glass out to get ready for paint. I will use the butyl tape procedure as stated and primer on the glass. My 1976 has defogger wires imbedded in the glass. It took a bit to source the wires but they did come along with the glass.

I think the assembly manual will have the correct thickness of tape. It always looks better when all of the surfaces near glass and trim have been properly prepped and no peeling paint later on.

Watch out for that plastic garnish moulding around the back glass, over time it gets real brittle. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 AM
"Driver Dave"
Advanced

I just removed one from my '74 that had been bubba'd with black caulk. I used 12 razor blades and cut through both the caulk and original butyl in small sections. I pressed the blades straight down a little at a time in stages. All twelve were pushed down 1/3 depth, 2/3 depth and then all the way to cut about a 12" wide swath, then repeated on the next 12" section. I started at the point where the leak was and worked away from there. I was probably overly cautious, but it was still only 30 minutes and some sore fingers and I still have the window that was born with the car. I was also testing this technique to be used on my '75 that had the rear window glued in with 3M weatherstrip adhesive. My fingers are going to be really sore from that one!

Last edited by "Driver Dave"; 02-17-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 PM
bcr76
Navigator

Window is out! Only thing holding it is was some black caulk took my time and got it cut out with no problem. I forgot to mention the window has defrost and there was wire nuts behind the trim to take it loose. The window had obviously been out before why wouldn't they put it back in right? I like the removeable window idea i will have to search and get some info on it like how much it will cost for sure. Well I am moveing forward on the paint prep takeing my time to make sure it is right. Thanks again for all the pointers.

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 rear window

Quick Reply: 1976 rear window