C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the rotors: what all is involved?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 11:32 PM
footloose42
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing the rotors: what all is involved?

I'm looking to replace all 4 rotors on my 73, and I'm reading some mixed material on what all goes in to it. I know I will need to drill out the rivets, but once I do, is it as simple as sliding the old rotor off, and sliding the new one on? Or will I have to deal with anything else like removing the wheel bearings or hubs, or perhaps the parking brake in the back?

I found the how-to document that CorvetteMagazine has on replacing the rotors on the C3, but their guide also involves replacing the bearings, races and grease seals. Are those parts I will have to remove as well if I intend to only replace the rotors?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:39 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Hi and Welcome again!

To remove the front rotors all you have to do is remove the calipers first.
The hub will stay in place after the rivets are removed.

For the rear, it's the same except that you may have to back off the parking brake shoes and after replacing the new rotor you have to readjust the parking brake.

However, you may now have a 'run-out' problem. On the front wheels, GM machined the hub and rotor after they were assembled.
On the rear, the spindle and hub were machined together, this eliminated the run-out problem.

What's run-out?
It's when the rotor does not turn exactly parallel and it causes air to get sucked into the calipers and the brakes don't work properly.

What makes you think that you need all 4 rotors?
You can put a micrometer on the rotors and see if they are still good. Unless you can see a definite problem you should consider keeping the originals.

About rotor run-out:
Old 05-09-2016, 12:52 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Agree with Peter, check before swapping. Runout can be a real problem!
Old 05-09-2016, 07:32 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
...What makes you think that you need all 4 rotors?...
I agree. Factory rotors seldom fail and usually do not need to be replaced. Have you miked your existing rotors?
Old 05-09-2016, 08:56 AM
footloose42
Intermediate

I agree. Factory rotors seldom fail and usually do not need to be replaced. Have you miked your existing rotors?
The car has 72k miles on it. While replacing the front brake calipers this weekend I decided to measure one of the front rotors with a vernier caliper. I quickly measured the front driver's side at 1.20 in, though that was only measured quickly at one location (I didn't take multiple measurements around the circumference and average them). I suppose 0.015" is small enough that a mis-measurement could account for the difference.

I found several threads on here stating the stock rotors should be replaced at 1.215". Hence why I'm thinking of replacing them. My rotors look like they have 1 2/5 MIN stamped on them, though I suppose it is more likely that's actually supposed to read 1 215 MIN If the threads I've found on here are correct. Would you suggest I take it to a brake shop and ask them to measure them with a micrometer?

Last edited by footloose42; 05-09-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:46 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

just for reference... I still have my original riveted rotors and my car has 106k on it now... they surprisingly are in great shape with a lot of meat on them.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Just to add to what everyone else has said......make sure they are OUT of spec before you replace them. I assumed my fronts were well worn because they were originals. After dicking around for 4 days with Chinese rotors and beer can shims to get my .005 runout, I measured the old rotors only to find they were still well within spec.

If you decide to replace them, the only tip I have for you in regards to shimming is this: Make sure you have 5 lug nuts on the rotor, and that all 5 are good and snug when you take your measurement. I was getting all sorts of crazy readings because I was only finger tightening the nuts and was only using 3 of 5. Its a PITA, that's for sure.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:05 AM
footloose42
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Scottd
I measured the old rotors only to find they were still well within spec.
How did you measure them, Scottd? Any particular method? I agree I don't want to replace them if I don't have to.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing the rotors: what all is involved?

Quick Reply: Replacing the rotors: what all is involved?