C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 corvette steering - speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:20 AM
twk1946
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 corvette steering - speedometer

I bought 1980 corvette coup last march and have been fixing issues since. Fortunately nothing major, two probelms left.

Speedometer and cruise not working, cables and gear wheel in trans ok. Just installed new transducer still does not work.

Steering wanders a little at speeds over 50 mph. front lower control are bushings replaced. Two mechanics say other bushings front and rear ok.

help
Old 01-30-2011, 12:14 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by twk1946

I bought 1980 corvette coup last march and have been fixing issues since.
This is true for most of our cars. Just substitute the year. Perhaps you should put "C3" instead of 1980 and then we could all use the first line.

Speedometer and cruise not working, cables and gear wheel in trans ok. Just installed new transducer still does not work.
The two problems may or may not be related. An easy way to diagnose where the problem lies is using an electric drill. I believe that if you're spinning from the "sending" side at both the transmission and transducer you should run the drill forward (clockwise). I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong. At least you'll know if the speedo is working. It may not be and then probably needs to be replaced. The cruise control is another kettle of fish.

Steering wanders a little at speeds over 50 mph. front lower control are bushings replaced. Two mechanics say other bushings front and rear ok.

help
If the bushings and linkages are good the two most likely culprits are the rag joint and the steering gear. If there isn't much play in the steering when the car is stationary, the steering gear is the more likely. Both these issues are common. If the rag joint, just replace it. If the steering gear, it will need to be rebuilt. It can be done at home but you may be better off having it done, if for no other reason than you'll need a speacial torque wrench which will cost you more than the rebuild.

Last edited by CA-Legal-Vette; 01-30-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:35 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes you need to get this fixed, my 1980 just took off to the right anytime you got above sixty, talk about needing to change your undies, Both rag joint & box needed replaced. When I rebuilt my 82, I just replaced everything. No problems, thus far, but like CA-Legal-Vette said; C-3 need lots of tender loving Care. Have a great one. Gene

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 corvette steering - speedometer

Quick Reply: 1980 corvette steering - speedometer