C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true dual exhaust suggestions

Old 02-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Dave Bureau
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true dual exhaust suggestions

I removed the computer and all smog crap from you 81. Installed Hooker long tube headers. Does anyone know if someone sells a pre bent true dual exhaust for this. I dont care if I have to modify the tranny crossmember. I would rather do that than run both pipes along the passenger side. I would like to get an X pipe in there also. I see that Pypes has one. That is what I'm looking for. But I've heard that the pypes system doesnt fit well.
Dave
Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Bureau
I removed the computer and all smog crap from you 81. Installed Hooker long tube headers. Does anyone know if someone sells a pre bent true dual exhaust for this. I dont care if I have to modify the tranny crossmember. I would rather do that than run both pipes along the passenger side. I would like to get an X pipe in there also. I see that Pypes has one. That is what I'm looking for. But I've heard that the pypes system doesnt fit well.
Dave
Have you looked into a local shop? I have an 81 with headers and a true dual 2.5 inch setup. It is custom bent and fits well but does go under the cross member where the original did side by side where the crossmember indentation is.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 PM
trainor
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave Bureau
Dave
Don't waste your time and money on Pypes. I spent over $600 and when I got done it cost me another $200 to have a shop try to make them right. They still don't seem correct. Go to a weld shop that specializes and get it done right. Good luck
Old 02-12-2011, 02:10 AM
VRGSVET
Advanced

Go to www.corvettecentral.com. They have a full dual exhaust kit with a crossover pipe and Magnaflow mufflers that fits in the stock location (no crossmember modification needed). It is built to connect to the factory exhaust manifolds, but you can cut the front bends off and weld in reducers to mount to your headers. I put this kit on my 1980 with Flowtech long tube headers. I did the install in my garage with a friend. My friend did the welding for me. It fits pretty decent, although not absolutely perfect.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to by the pre bent set up then it will run on the pass side. You will have to mod the cross member to allow the driver side pipe to pass thru, or get your self an earlier style cross member with the two holes and make it fit. I have to modify my driver side crossmember to allow the 3 inch pipe to be even with the pass side.
Custom exhaust shop should be able to do this for you. Crossover and or H pipe. From what I read from the exhaust companies like Borla, Flowmaster, they say either one will give you similar results, but you need to have something vs nothing.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

I had time and money so I installed a Magnaflow system on my 73.
I sounds good and is not to loud.
Stock manifolds to X-pipe 2 1/4"
From the X-pipe out the back of the mufflers is 2 1/2"

Get notified of new replies

To true dual exhaust suggestions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: true dual exhaust suggestions